Hamel Beach?

dimebag1980

Recent illegal and raucous activity along the south Shreveport riverfront, behind Marie & Charles Hamel Park, has led to the city clearing out trees and brush for safety reasons. In addition, this newly-cleared area provides a nice view of the river from Clyde Fant Parkway, as well as a view of the sandbars that make up a "beach" in this area.

This is also supposedly part of the city's plan to clear out more of the brush and thin out trees along the entire city riverfront... a plan I'm a proponent of. I've long thought that, north of downtown, riverfront brush should be cleared for the excellent skyline views. What a photographer's heaven that would become once cleared.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...EWS01/609020320

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sound like a really cool place. That's funny to remind people to drive on the pavement only and not to the beach itself.

Yeah but yet it still happens. My wife and I drove past there yesterday and there were people driving their cars on the beach.

Most of the reason for the clearing of the trees was to make the place safer and more inviting for families, because it had become a pretty rowdy place. Lots of fights occurred down there, one of which recently claimed the face of a local model. After a fight down at that beach, some people followed her and mutilated her face. Also people were leaving broken beer bottles in the sand and homosexuals were having sex in the brush, so this was definitely necessary. It's pretty down there, except for the grass that's all throughout the sand. If not for the grass it would be REALLY nice.

Yeah but yet it still happens. My wife and I drove past there yesterday and there were people driving their cars on the beach.

Most of the reason for the clearing of the trees was to make the place safer and more inviting for families, because it had become a pretty rowdy place. Lots of fights occurred down there, one of which recently claimed the face of a local model. After a fight down at that beach, some people followed her and mutilated her face. Also people were leaving broken beer bottles in the sand and homosexuals were having sex in the brush, so this was definitely necessary. It's pretty down there, except for the grass that's all throughout the sand. If not for the grass it would be REALLY nice.

hey man I was down there today and almost stepped on a big snake!! hahahaha scared the dook out of me.. i have pics lol

hey man I was down there today and almost stepped on a big snake!! hahahaha scared the dook out of me.. i have pics lol

:lol:

Do you go down there often or did you just decide to go down there after they cleared the trees out?

Did you go down there to take photos? I went down to the Boardwalk today to take photos and will try and get those uploaded soon.

:lol:

Do you go down there often or did you just decide to go down there after they cleared the trees out?

Did you go down there to take photos? I went down to the Boardwalk today to take photos and will try and get those uploaded soon.

no i went to meet guys! jk Yeah i took the camera after i heard it got cleared went through some trails to take pics of wild flowers.. stepped on some logs and realized a big ole snake about 5ft long was under em!

no i went to meet guys!

Hey, I'm not here to judge! :lol:

jk Yeah i took the camera after i heard it got cleared went through some trails to take pics of wild flowers.. stepped on some logs and realized a big ole snake about 5ft long was under em!

That's pretty crazy. When cleaning that area up, they really should have tried to clear the grass and logs out of there.

Very cool. Nice photos from around Shreveport, and good shot of the snake. Snakes and spiders are two of my biggest fears, so I know nothing about either... except to get away when I see them. And to think there was a time in my life where my friends and I used to go out specifically looking for snakes! :lol:

That's a pretty snake. We were crazy like that at one time too. ;):stop: As a kid walking the ditch/bayou I remember seeing a snake so large he actually had a fish in his mouth. :shok:

Wow. :lol:

I never saw anything like that, but I did see a ton of snakes in the bayou by my house growing up. I even came extremely close to falling into a "ball" of snakes in the water once. Scary stuff.

Hey nice looking pics woob. I was getting worried there for a moment. I start reading this topic and brian is talking about homosexuals and woob comes along and starts talking about almost stepping on a big snake....I was starting to wonder about you guys. :lol:

Hmmm....

Well, nothing to worry about here. I'm sure I can say the same for woob, since like me, he's married to a woman.

It would be nice if they'd clear out the treee's along Baton Rouge's river front from the I-10 bridge south to LSU. There's a lot of unsavory activity going on down there as well.

I guess I just find this interesting because my city seems to be the opposite always trying to do what it can to preserve trees and such. We even have some rather strict ordinances about new developments having to preserve a certain percentage of the trees on the property. So hearing everyone wanting to cut down trees sounds ironic to me. :D

I guess I just find this interesting because my city seems to be the opposite always trying to do what it can to preserve trees and such. We even have some rather strict ordinances about new developments having to preserve a certain percentage of the trees on the property. So hearing everyone wanting to cut down trees sounds ironic to me. :D

we still have a lot of trees along the river... it's just so thick you couldnt get to the water.. snakes!! and HOMOSEXUALS!!

You'd understand if you saw just how thick the trees are along the river here. It's overgrown and nasty-looking. I'm not saying cut them all down, but thin them out a bit. We have too beautiful a river to have it obstructed from view. The same goes for our skyline. I think it's gorgeous, and it's a shame it's obstructed by thick tree lines from some of the best vantage points.

By the way, I know about the tree huggers in your area. We had a "tree sitter" at one of our job sites up there a few years back. We had to come in during the dark of night and take out the trees... but we prevailed in the end.

• 2 weeks later...

Trees are chopped down faster than they can grow here in TXK usually for businesses.

Wow. :lol:

I never saw anything like that, but I did see a ton of snakes in the bayou by my house growing up. I even came extremely close to falling into a "ball" of snakes in the water once. Scary stuff.

Damn! A ball of snakes! I would have yelled so loud they would have heard me in the next county. I hate those damn things! Them and those big flying roaches. One flew onto my head once and I took off running like a race horse at LA Downs. My neighbor had a cookout once and invited us over for BBQ snake and potato salad. I politely declined.

Archived