Arts to get less support

krazeeboi

The State reports that arts groups in the city will receive less funding this year due to improvements in the Olympia neighborhood. First of all, what portions of Olympia are within city limits? It's not fair for the neighborhood to receive city funds if it's not within the city. And as usual, the commentaries are pretty sad.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. What a place to cut. It would be ironic if Olympia became a new arts district -- not likely to happen, as I've given up that crusade. Everything north of Heyward Street is in the city limits. I hear there's a good chance of annexation though... this may make it more likely.

I completely agree that if Olympia is going to use city money, they should be part of the tax base and contribute to the city funds, which could go to support the arts. Wow, is this reasonable or what?

The commentaries were tragic. Some people just don't get how the arts and entertainment in the city increases our quality of life. I think I'll make an effort to attend more events now.

^Trust me, Columbia wouldn't be alone. Most of the commentaries I read on Charlotte.com (Charlotte Observer's website) are just as ridiculous.

I posted this in reply to a very similar discussion in another Columbia thread, but I'll repeat it here as well:

It is the same way in The Greenville News. So many people have access to the Internet who shouldn't, IMO. :silly:

Yeah its the same way with the Herald-Journal as well. Only idiots post on those things. Its very frustrating though..... buts its also ok. I'd rather them post there- the intelligent people will find their way to UrbanPlanet eventually.

I don't agree with Olympia getting city money and not being in the city. There is something majorly wrong with that.

Why is the city waisting money on the parts of Olympia that aren't in the city...They need to fix up the part that's in the city only, then I bet the rest of the neighborhood would want to join and contribute then

Maybe I'm a moron, but I'm assuming the city is only going to improve the part of Olympia that's in the city. Richland County will improve what's in the county. Or maybe there will be one pot of money. Email your city council reps to find out how it's going to work, and tell them how you think it should work. They're probably tired of hearing from me all the time. Get their email addresses from Columbiasc.net.

no significant parts of Olympia is in the City

Whaley Street, the first part of Olympia Avenue, Olympia Mill, Granby Mill, and the whole block in front of the mills are. And the area between the railroad tracks and Whaley Street is. And if I recall, one or two houses along Olympia Avenue on the other side of the railroad tracks has a blue recycle bin, which would mean they're in Columbia.

Archived