RSS Feeds by the Flags

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is an RSS feed and how is it used? I have a Palm and a PSP that say they can utilize RSS feeds but I have no clue what it is and how to use it.

The best way to illustrate this is by posting a screenshot of it in action:

post-1-1150485038_thumb.jpg

This is an RSS feed for the Charlotte forum here on UrbanPlanet.org. Notice that it tells me who made the post, what time it was made, to what thread it was posted and finally it gives me the actual post including any graphics that was posted along with it as well as a link back to that specific post on the forums. For the cities that have their on UP.Dynamic city page RSS feeds are updated every five minutes. For most other forums the feeds are updated every 15-30 minutes.

I use NewsGator to view RSS feeds for dozens of sites. It is now I keep myself updated with what's going on in the world around me. There are quite a few RSS readers out there (many free) but I use NewsGator because I spend my day in Microsoft Outlook and it is primarily a plugin for Outlook. NewsGator does have a free online version of their reader however and it even syncs with their Outlook version. I use it when I'm away from the office.

The best way to illustrate this is by posting a screenshot of it in action:

This is an RSS feed for the Charlotte forum here on UrbanPlanet.org. Notice that it tells me who made the post, what time it was made, to what thread it was posted and finally it gives me the actual post including any graphics that was posted along with it as well as a link back to that specific post on the forums. For the cities that have their on UP.Dynamic city page RSS feeds are updated every five minutes. For most other forums the feeds are updated every 15-30 minutes.

I use NewsGator to view RSS feeds for dozens of sites. It is now I keep myself updated with what's going on in the world around me. There are quite a few RSS readers out there (many free) but I use NewsGator because I spend my day in Microsoft Outlook and it is primarily a plugin for Outlook. NewsGator does have a free online version of their reader however and it even syncs with their Outlook version. I use it when I'm away from the office.

See? And I thought it was only good for the Live Bookmarks in Firefox. I'd heard of NewsGator but didn't know how those things worked. Very cool, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived