The River Market

Nice pics. I'm excited about the Butler Center as well.

Did they REALLY need to give the nature center that long ass walkway just so that it has storefront property? It just seems like a lot of wasted space, but I guess they were worried about getting enough visitors without the streetfront property.

Hopefully they'll do something with all the dead space from the beginning of the walkway to the nature center--plaques, murals, something.

• 2 months later...

According to Arkansas Times the empty building between the Museum Center and the The Clinton Museum Store is going to be developed into a restaurant called the Wrought Iron Bar and Grill. If you remember, this time last year the building was suppose to be Wendell's Restaurant. An expansion of a restaurant that is/was in Memphis.

Also the Arkansas Democrat Gazette had an article in today's paper saying that they were going to update the seating and tables in the River Market Pavillion and do some other interior upgrades before the crowds come in for the NCAA Tournament at the end of March.

The Nature Center.

p1010940xw8.jpg

p1010956qr7.jpg

A friend of mine and I walked around this the other day. Our first impression was not overwhelming. Frankly, its aesthetic may seem "nature-center-like" (whatever that may be), but it looks completely out of place in the architectural context of an urban area like the River Market. Furthermore, it wasn't a great execution of its own genre. And to top it off, it completely blocks the river view of the buildings it sits behind.

We were sort of bewildered at the whole thing. This would have been much better just across the river as originally envisioned. As too often happens (in our market it seems), it appears to be an under-funded, half-a** attempt that is a complete let down. I guess I should wait to make final judgement until it opens! :rolleyes:

A friend of mine and I walked around this the other day. Our first impression was not overwhelming. Frankly, its aesthetic may seem "nature-center-like" (whatever that may be), but it looks completely out of place in the architectural context of an urban area like the River Market. Furthermore, it wasn't a great execution of its own genre. And to top it off, it completely blocks the river view of the buildings it sits behind.

We were sort of bewildered at the whole thing. This would have been much better just across the river as originally envisioned. As too often happens (in our market it seems), it appears to be an under-funded, half-a** attempt that is a complete let down. I guess I should wait to make final judgement until it opens! :rolleyes:

It was under-funded. I think the original structure was going to be two stories so that the walk bridge hit the second floor.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen Architect comment on it and I was wondering what he thought. I kind of like the mix of old-warehouse district with modern glass and curves.

Its going to be a beautiful piece of work - an interesting "marriage" between a historic building adaptively reused with a Modern aesthetic. I got to tour it recently.

Reese Rowland with Polk Stanley Rowland Curzon Porter designed this building addition. He was the architect for Heifer International, which was awarded a National AIA Design Award recently.

Its going to be a beautiful piece of work - an interesting "marriage" between a historic building adaptively reused with a Modern aesthetic. I got to tour it recently.

Reese Rowland with Polk Stanley Rowland Curzon Porter designed this building addition. He was the architect for Heifer International, which was awarded a National AIA Design Award recently.

I think it will be my favorite building in the River Market. I can't wait to go in it.

On a slightly different note, driving from the airport to the River Market tonight, I saw a large interstate sign notifying drivers of the University of Arkansas Clinton School of Public Service. Anyone ever seen such a sign for University of Arkansas at Little Rock? I might add that UALR provides IT support and transcripts the Clinton School Students.

I think it will be my favorite building in the River Market. I can't wait to go in it.

On a slightly different note, driving from the airport to the River Market tonight, I saw a large interstate sign notifying drivers of the University of Arkansas Clinton School of Public Service. Anyone ever seen such a sign for University of Arkansas at Little Rock? I might add that UALR provides IT support and transcripts the Clinton School Students.

Yes, there are UALR signs at the University exit on I-630.

I've never thought about there not being signage (is that a word?) directing people to UALR, but there definitely should be, esp. from the University exit at I-30.

Update on the Nature Center.

p1020095si1.jpg

p1020099nu9.jpg

I usually don't comment on buildings until they are finished but this one is less than inspiring. The walkway is ugly and the building does nothing for the location.

I'm very disappointed in the nature center. It does nothing for the area. I can't believe that they actually put siding on the building. If they didn't have the money to do something better than this then it should not have been built at all. NLR is probably glad now that they didn't get this hideous building.

I'm very disappointed in the nature center. It does nothing for the area. I can't believe that they actually put siding on the building. If they didn't have the money to do something better than this then it should not have been built at all. NLR is probably glad now that they didn't get this hideous building.

I couldn't agree more. If you can't do it right, don't do it at all. This is an embarrassment for the city. There should be higher expectations than this. Chattanooga - a much smaller market - would NEVER allow for something this crappy.

I can't believe that they actually put siding on the building.

Courtesy of Hanke Bros, Siding and Windows, Inc. "Buy Siding and Get Windows FREE" Deal.

This bodes well for the stereotype of Arkansans as cultureless, unsophisticated boars: a ramshackle "nature center" on the most prime real estate in the state.

I must say though, the windows do add a nice touch to the classy siding. (But what's with the gap in windows--did they run out of money two fifths along the length of the back?)

Edited by johnnydr87