New hospital in Fort Mill

krazeeboi

For those of you that haven't been in-the-know, a new hospital facility will be built in Fort Mill. If I remember correctly, 4 companies wanted control of the hospital: Carolinas HealthCare System, Hospital Partners of America, Tenet Healthcare (parent of Piedmont Medical Center in Rock Hill), and Presbyterian Healthcare . Tenet was chosen, much to my dismay (Piedmont's services aren't the best); I heard the proceedings got a little rough and tough down in Columbia before the SC Dept. of Health and Environmental Control.

At any rate, the new $125 million, 100-bed hospital is projected to create about 250 jobs and pay an estimated $2.6 million in taxes per year. The intersection of SC 160 and US 21 where the hospital is to be built (easily accessed from exit 85 off I-77), with most of the land owned by Clear Springs Development Co., is already starting to change with a mixed-use development called Kingsley going in. The developer, Clear Springs, is known for creating tasteful, lasting developments and conserving land. The company, created by the Close family who owns Springs Global, built the popular mixed-use community Baxter Village in the Fort Mill area.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is actually not as good as many would lead you to believe. Living down here no one wants Tenet to own that hospital - doctors and patients alike. Tenet not only has poor management of their hospitals, but it also means that they a monopoly on the area. I was hoping CMC or Presby would get the bid just to create more competition with Tenet's existing facilities. Also, CMC and Presby are both not-for-profit hospitals, Tenet on the other hand is a for-profit hospital.

I don't really care what the architecture will be like, as long as it isn't butt ugly.

This is actually not as good as many would lead you to believe. Living down here no one wants Tenet to own that hospital - doctors and patients alike. Tenet not only has poor management of their hospitals, but it also means that they a monopoly on the area. I was hoping CMC or Presby would get the bid just to create more competition with Tenet's existing facilities. Also, CMC and Presby are both not-for-profit hospitals, Tenet on the other hand is a for-profit hospital.

That's why I mentioned that I didn't like the fact that Tenet won; Piedmont isn't exactly the best hospital around, and it is managed by Tenet. I think I heard something to the effect that Tenet offered a facility with more beds, which made it a more favorable candidate. But at least one of the losing companies plans to appeal the decision, so we'll see what happens.

Presbyterian is a for profit hospital just like Piedmont/Tenet. It's owned by Novant Healthcare.

You are correct about CMC however.

I think that's probably based on the Observer article.

The selection of a for-profit company rather than Presbyterian Healthcare or Carolinas HealthCare means a direct tax boost for Fort Mill and York County.

A press release on Presbyterian's site seeems to confirm this:

Novant Health is a not-for-profit integrated healthcare system based in North Carolina.

Also, from the Presbyterian Hospital page:

Presbyterian Hospital is a private, non-profit regional medical center, one of the largest health care institutions in the Carolinas.

Googling "Novant" and "for-profit" instead yields dozens of results that state that Novant Health is a not-for-profit organization.

Archived