Ugliest Buildings in the Core

joeDowntown

"It is reasonably widespread today in the online anime and gaming communities"

phew.. I thought someone was going to revoke my Fark and/or slashdot privilages for missing an online cliche.

What's more scary: that it's used alot? or it has it's own (extremely detailed) Wikipedia definition?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just FYI regarding an earlier posting: The old Handy Andy store amd Northtowne Plaza area has recently become the topic of much conversation amongst planners in the City Grand Rapids, Grand Rapids Township and Plainfield Township. Recent legislation allowing the formation of development authorities across jurisdictional boundaries has led to serious pursuit of just such an authority along Plainfield Avenue. As a planning commissioner in that area, I can tell you this is very good news. The Northtowne shopping plaza is the southern most anchor so-to-speak of the proposed development authority. Many ideas have already been tossed around concerning what could work on that parcel. Cross your fingers that this authority comes to fruition and that the best ideas re Northtowne float to the top.

Just FYI regarding an earlier posting: The old Handy Andy store amd Northtowne Plaza area has recently become the topic of much conversation amongst planners in the City Grand Rapids, Grand Rapids Township and Plainfield Township. Recent legislation allowing the formation of development authorities across jurisdictional boundaries has led to serious pursuit of just such an authority along Plainfield Avenue. As a planning commissioner in that area, I can tell you this is very good news. The Northtowne shopping plaza is the southern most anchor so-to-speak of the proposed development authority. Many ideas have already been tossed around concerning what could work on that parcel. Cross your fingers that this authority comes to fruition and that the best ideas re Northtowne float to the top.

Hmm, is that why they voted down the proposed lifestyle village at East Beltline and 3 Mile? I think they said not enough residential, but 156 townhomes to me is a lot of residential for a relatively small suburban parcel.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...2160.xml&coll=6

On topic, off topic??

Hmm, is that why they voted down the proposed lifestyle village at East Beltline and 3 Mile? I think they said not enough residential, but 156 townhomes to me is a lot of residential for a relatively small suburban parcel.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...2160.xml&coll=6

On topic, off topic??

Indeed, off-topic. So I won't belabor the broader notion of east Belt Line here. My point was simply that an obviously ugly part of GR may soon be the subject of some renewal efforts.

Its called a corridor improvement authority (CIA) and I believe it will function kind of like a multi-jurisdictional DDA if I am not mistaken.

• 2 weeks later...

Building ready for the wrecking ball: That travesty Rockford Construction erected to replace the old Milner Hotel on Ionia SW. What were they thinking?

Question: Why does Rockford Construction erect only sand-colored buildings? They all look pre-fab (i.e., cheap), and I can spot an RC project a mile away. I have wondered about the beige/tan thing for years. The "Blanding of Grand Rapids," is what I call this sorry excuse for a project (or two or ten).

And when are they going to finish the facades of the storefronts under the Front Row Condos? Talk about amateurish.

End rant. (For now.)

BF

Building ready for the wrecking ball: That travesty Rockford Construction erected to replace the old Milner Hotel on Ionia SW. What were they thinking?

Question: Why does Rockford Construction erect only sand-colored buildings? They all look pre-fab (i.e., cheap), and I can spot an RC project a mile away. I have wondered about the beige/tan thing for years. The "Blanding of Grand Rapids," is what I call this sorry excuse for a project (or two or ten).

And when are they going to finish the facades of the storefronts under the Front Row Condos? Talk about amateurish.

End rant. (For now.)

BF

I'm curious why you think 70 Ionia is a "travesty," only because my mentor designed the building, I'm personally quite fond of it, work in it everyday, and think its a very healthy addition to the neighborhood.

I won't defend Rockford (they have their shortcomings just like everyone else), but I didn't know they only built sand-colored buildings.

Pre-fab is typically cheaper than on site fabrication, true. Pre-cast panels were chosen for 70 Ionia becuase Rockford Developement and RDV were looking at the bottom line.

I'm curious why you think 70 Ionia is a "travesty," only because my mentor designed the building, I'm personally quite fond of it, work in it everyday, and think its a very healthy addition to the neighborhood.

I won't defend Rockford (they have their shortcomings just like everyone else), but I didn't know they only built sand-colored buildings.

Pre-fab is typically cheaper than on site fabrication, true. Pre-cast panels were chosen for 70 Ionia becuase Rockford Developement and RDV were looking at the bottom line.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. But the building really doesn't complement its surroundings, in my opinion. And it is only that -- an opinion. Not only is it sand-colored (blah), but being prefabbed, it isn't in keeping with the solid nature of the neighborhood, structurally speaking. I don't see that building lasting nearly as long as the Milner did.

The only "Rockfordized" buildings I know of appear to be sand-colored. Maybe I missed one that isn't somewhere along the line.

:)

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. But the building really doesn't complement its surroundings, in my opinion. And it is only that -- an opinion.

I understand that you're entitled to an opinion but am put off by the way you worded your opinion; "...travesty...cheap...sorry excuse...amateurish...". That seems to be more venom than criticism.

Not only is it sand-colored (blah), but being prefabbed, it isn't in keeping with the solid nature of the neighborhood, structurally speaking. I don't see that building lasting nearly as long as the Milner did.

Ok, I think I need to teach a class in construction methods here [channeling Mick and Lars <--Wolverine is the only one here that will understand that].

70 Ionia is not a "pre-fabbed" building in the typical sense of that term. Meaning that it wasn't completely assembled offsite, trucked-in in segments, and reassembled on site. This building was pre-fabbed...

spacebox_prefab.jpg

70 Ionia has "pre-cast" concrete skin. These panels were chosen because the are relatively energy efficient, are easy to produce with varying colors and finishes, and can be installed very quickly.

I'm curious why you perceive 70 Ionia to be less solid. Is it because it it doesn't have exterior masonry walls and a timber frame, but rather a modern steel frame? I know there are more than a handful of steel framed buildings in Chicago that are more than 100 years old.

The only "Rockfordized" buildings I know of appear to be sand-colored. Maybe I missed one that isn't somewhere along the line.

Not saying if these are good or bad, just saying...

2005_Davenport_University_lg.jpg

grandrapidshotelrendering.jpeg

I wouldn't call the abundance of sand-colored buildings a Rockford-thing only. GVSU's downtown campus and Devos Place were both Earhardt projects. Furthermore, the construction company doesn't choose the color of the building, the architect does, and usually with too much input from the client.

I understand that you're entitled to an opinion but am put off by the way you worded your opinion; "...travesty...cheap...sorry excuse...amateurish...". That seems to be more venom than criticism.

Ok, I think I need to teach a class in construction methods here [channeling Mick and Lars <--Wolverine is the only one here that will understand that].

70 Ionia is not a "pre-fabbed" building in the typical sense of that term. Meaning that it wasn't completely assembled offsite, trucked-in in segments, and reassembled on site. This building was pre-fabbed...

spacebox_prefab.jpg

70 Ionia has "pre-cast" concrete skin. These panels were chosen because the are relatively energy efficient, are easy to produce with varying colors and finishes, and can be installed very quickly.

I'm curious why you perceive 70 Ionia to be less solid. Is it because it it doesn't have exterior masonry walls and a timber frame, but rather a modern steel frame? I know there are more than a handful of steel framed buildings in Chicago that are more than 100 years old.

Not saying if these are good or bad, just saying...

2005_Davenport_University_lg.jpg

grandrapidshotelrendering.jpeg

I wouldn't call the abundance of sand-colored buildings a Rockford-thing only. GVSU's downtown campus and Devos Place were both Earhardt projects. Furthermore, the construction company doesn't choose the color of the building, the architect does, and usually with too much input from the client.

Opinions aren't necessarily criticism. They are only that -- opinions. No venom intended.

I guess my objection is that the panels don't fit the nature of the neighborhood. But I like the steel feature, I'm just disappointed with the rest of the building.

Take a look at the new part of the Cooley law library (another Rockford project). Same deal. No architectural interest on the back side. As I said in another forum, builders don't seem to take into account the "view" others will have of sides such as this. Imagine being fated to gaze upon a stark, blank wall of concrete all day.

The buildings around GVSU's downtown campus seem to exhibit more attention to detail, and they fit in better with the character of the neighborhood (I'm talking about the big campus). I agree with you re the Eberhard Center. That could have used more creativity. It's not quite tan, but...

I just find it odd that Rockford would have so many "tan" clients. Are you sure Rockford's input doesn't have something to do with it?

Also... I believe that Rockford actually owns the Front Row Condominium stretch of buildings downtown. They are all tan. Furthermore, they didn't finish off the storefronts. That's what I mean by "cheap."

Again, no venom intended, just my opinion.

I do appreciate your explaining the reasoning for the architecture. It does make sense.

BF

• 4 weeks later...

Hell, even Chris Knape thinks The Press building is u-g-l-y.

-- http://www.mlive.com/grpress/knapescorner/..._07.html#163619

I was eating breakfast at Marie Catrib's when this photo was taken. I told my Mom that the photographer most likely was from the Press and that it was due to a reference in Chris Knape's blog, when he was riding the Rapid.

Man, I can call it like I roll 6's....

-I'll take Two TripleG's please

I complained first though so do I win any points. TripleG, when are you and your croney's going to do something about that building? :)

I was eating breakfast at Marie Catrib's when this photo was taken. I told my Mom that the photographer most likely was from the Press and that it was due to a reference in Chris Knape's blog, when he was riding the Rapid.

Man, I can call it like I roll 6's....

-I'll take Two TripleG's please

• 2 months later...

100_2223.jpg

Anyone from Devries on here? I am getting questioned as to why we (my company) aren't utilizing this attractive, beautifully-designed, state-of-the-art facility. I told 'em, as a planner, I can't possibly support collocation on this (proudly claiming much of the responsibility for a pending stealth site up north, and another one closer to home.)

Do y'all have plans for this building and its appendage? "Holding out for more money" is fine. "Sale pending to a prominent nearby land owner/use" is fine. I just need a simplistic reason to fire back at the interrogators.

TIA

What's wrong with col-ocating on this thing? Would you rather see another ugly metal tower be built right next door? I say its already got three cellular antennas, who cares if there is one more?

Now, if it were inside the realm of possibilities that that whole thing would be taken down from the building, then I might see if differently. ;)

What's wrong with col-ocating on this thing? Would you rather see another ugly metal tower be built right next door? I say its already got three cellular antennas, who cares if there is one more?

No one, especially me, is building anything "right next door." The questions are not coming from Planning ("why aren't you collocating on the existing tower?") but from inside ("why can't we go there too?").

Now, if it were inside the realm of possibilities that that whole thing would be taken down from the building, then I might see if differently. ;)

That is the question for Devries (per the city's parcel website, they are the owner, today).

Archived