Indoor Ski Resort

MadVlad

... about 8 years ago, some developer had wanted to build an indoor ski resort in South Windsor? It would have been the only one in the US, and I think there was only 2 others, one in Japan, the other in England somewhere. Does anyone remember that? I thought it was a great idea, and I think it would be awesome...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that looks cool. If they could build it more vertical, I think they'd have had a winner. I think a lot of people would not go to vermont if they could go get a few runs at the indoor deal. They'd probably make most of their money in the summer, when the only other choice is to go to Mt. Hood or Alaska or something....

Isn't there real skiing in CT now, you don't have to go to Vermont. We have skiing in RI and we don't even have any mountains, there must be skiing in CT. Isn't there?

Yeah. I've never gone but I hear it's not that great.

... about 8 years ago, some developer had wanted to build an indoor ski resort in South Windsor? It would have been the only one in the US, and I think there was only 2 others, one in Japan, the other in England somewhere. Does anyone remember that? I thought it was a great idea, and I think it would be awesome...

Yes, I remember the article on it. It would have been built on the site of the East Hartford Drive In and it would have a pool complex, too. The place was a pipedream -- but it would be cool to build it. Just like when Adrian's Landing was proposed -- It would have a replica of Block's ONRUST (which would be cool to see that still).

JimS

Agreed. They are horribly expensive to build and maintain and the fact that metro Tokyo with its 35 million people could not support the one there is a fact that developers won't ignore. I believe the only othe one in operation is the one that just opened in Dubai, and it only exists because of oil revenue. (i.e. we paid for it)

yeah, there is about 5 resorts here, but they suck (comparatively). An indoor place would be pretty lucrative...

From what I hear MT Mohawk is actually pretty good. If your a small time skier, then CT is perfect for you.

From what I hear MT Mohawk is actually pretty good. If your a small time skier, then CT is perfect for you.

Mohawk is pretty good, has about 25 runs or so and close to 800 or so verticle feet. Mt Southington is good for a few runs to get ready for the season, other than that it is pretty much a big tubing hill. Over in New Hartford Ski Sundown is also pretty good, they have one semi steep run that might be a Black Diamond in a vermont resort.

Archived