Lagniappe

NCB

I think we've found why you love UrbanPlanet so much.

My take: When you're at work, you're in an area where you can experience the urban life, but when you're at home...not so much. So when you're at home, UrbanPlanet is simply your ticket into the urban world and its urban wonderfulness. When you're on UP at work, well, you're probably just bored! ;)

You know, even my job is in a suburban area. *sigh*

I've always wanted to work in a high-rise downtown, but since my company has a warehouse attached where we ship materials from, we had to have our office intergrated with the warehouse. And where better to put that office/warehouse complex than out in a suburban area!! But I drive right through the city every day and get so mad when I think about all those people working in the high-rise buildings. That's always been my dream... but then again, so was architecture. And I sigh again. :lol:

My wife works in a small 1-story building downtown, but she has an excellent view now of the convention center and hotel. I'd even take that over my view of a courtyard gazebo!

Alright, seriously now, I'm going to bed. :lol:

NCB: "Reading Board Index"

Yep, looks like you're "going to bed."

I really should go to bed myself, but I'll probably do like I always do and not go to bed when I say I will!!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd venture to guess that someone has made one. You might try searching for stop motion or stop-motion on YouTube and use New Orleans in the keywords. Surely you could find one.

Finally, here is a stop-motion video from New Orleans. It's not exactly a "tour," but I think it's pretty cool. You start off on Poydras Street in New Orleans, then you get on I-10, head towards Metairie, get on the Causeway, and ride across the worlds longest bridge into Mandeville on the Northshore. Alot of this, especially the parts on I-10 and the Causeway, I have drive at least a few times a week.

http://xstream.advance.net/asxgen/nola/dashlake.wmv

Finally, here is a stop-motion video from New Orleans. It's not exactly a "tour," but I think it's pretty cool. You start off on Poydras Street in New Orleans, then you get on I-10, head towards Metairie, get on the Causeway, and ride across the worlds longest bridge into Mandeville on the Northshore. Alot of this, especially the parts on I-10 and the Causeway, I have drive at least a few times a week.

http://xstream.advance.net/asxgen/nola/dashlake.wmv

I wonder how he made that. Maybe they have video cameras now that you can buy to get that sped up motion like that. I guess I don't ever recall seeing any video cameras offering that stop action motion option.

Well I finally managed to see Deja Vu last night. I thought it was a pretty good movie, and I would definately recommend it, especially if you like the SciFi-action genre of movies. Denzel Washington was solid as always, and the rest of the acting was done well. Of course it was great seeing another movie set in and filmed entirely in New Orleans. I think I saw my old house in the Quarter in one of the scenes in the movie, actually. :D

Because many of the extras and small-part actors used in the movie were from New Orleans, they didn't totally blow the accent here. Most movies set in New Orleans either make us sound like we're straight out of Gone with the Wind, or we just got out of the swamp, because Hollywood loves to portray New Orleans as a 100% cajun city. There really was no accent at all, just normal English, which I'll take any day. The only thing I didn't get was through the entire movie the "Crescent City Connection" was referred to as the "Crescent City Bridge." No big deal, but it was something that just kept popping up.

Anyway, I definately recommend it, especially if you like Sci-Fi or action movies. :thumbsup:

Well I finally managed to see Deja Vu last night. I thought it was a pretty good movie, and I would definately recommend it, especially if you like the SciFi-action genre of movies. Denzel Washington was solid as always, and the rest of the acting was done well. Of course it was great seeing another movie set in and filmed entirely in New Orleans. I think I saw my old house in the Quarter in one of the scenes in the movie, actually. :D

Because many of the extras and small-part actors used in the movie were from New Orleans, they didn't totally blow the accent here. Most movies set in New Orleans either make us sound like we're straight out of Gone with the Wind, or we just got out of the swamp, because Hollywood loves to portray New Orleans as a 100% cajun city. There really was no accent at all, just normal English, which I'll take any day. The only thing I didn't get was through the entire movie the "Crescent City Connection" was referred to as the "Crescent City Bridge." No big deal, but it was something that just kept popping up.

Anyway, I definately recommend it, especially if you like Sci-Fi or action movies. :thumbsup:

:lol: Cool, glad to hear they didn't portray New Orleanians as hicks or swamp dwellers like so many movies have. I'll never understand that stereotype of south Louisiana.

Anyway, I want to see that movie soon, thanks for the review! :D

What kind of hotel is a Westin and a Raddison in terms of luxury and things like that?

I've stayed at many Westin's in many different cities through the years, and they've always been very nice. They're somewhat comparable to Hyatt's, IMO. Similar prices, amenities, room sizes, etc.

Raddison's, on the other hand, seem to vary greatly. I've stayed at some Raddison's that were extremely nice, and others that really were on the crappy side. With Raddison, it seems like you never really know what you'll get until you get there.

I've stayed at many Westin's in many different cities through the years, and they've always been very nice. They're somewhat comparable to Hyatt's, IMO. Similar prices, amenities, room sizes, etc.

Raddison's, on the other hand, seem to vary greatly. I've stayed at some Raddison's that were extremely nice, and others that really were on the crappy side. With Raddison, it seems like you never really know what you'll get until you get there.

I hate inconsistent hotel chains.

One chain of hotels that's always been consistently nice, at least in my experiences, is Hampton Inn.

One chain of hotels that's always been consistently nice, at least in my experiences, is Hampton Inn.

Oh yes, I love Hampton Inn. That is my designated hotel when I'm spending the night during a long trip. You always know what you are going to get with your room, service, amenities, and of couse, the free breakfast and cookies! :D

I actually make a point of saving my hotel lock cards,(yea I'm weird, so what!?) and I have cards from Hampton Inn's in Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Virginia, North Carolina, and Illinois. And those are only from the last 18 months! :D

Come on Nate when are you going to get an Arkansas one to add to your collection? :lol:

One of these days, I'm sure. Considering my family has a house for me to stay in when I'm in SW Arkansas, I don't see much of a reason for finding a Hamton Inn in Texarkana. ;) But I'm sure I will eventually when I make the trip to Little Rock or NW Arkansas.

One of these days, I'm sure. Considering my family has a house for me to stay in when I'm in SW Arkansas, I don't see much of a reason for finding a Hamton Inn in Texarkana. ;) But I'm sure I will eventually when I make the trip to Little Rock or NW Arkansas.

But if you do, the Texarkana Hampton Inn is right in front of Central Mall, at I-30 and Richmond Road in the Cowhorn Creek area. ;)