Lagniappe

NCB

^Great presentation. Thanks for posting. Like I said before, very impressive development for SBC. I am glad they were bold enough to pull that off. No doubt next time I'm in the area I'll be stopping at the Louisiana Boardwalk. Great location on the riverfront; I really like the retaining walls along the promenade too.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We're driving this time. <_< But maybe I'll get to see the RSA Tower. :)

Awesome man, I would much rather drive to Atlanta than fly. Much rather! Not only do you get to see a lot of the southeast, but you don't have to deal with all of the wait times, security checks, flight delays, and everything else that we see with the airline industry right now.

So you're going over through Saint Tammany on I-12 and then taking I-10 over to Mobile, and then heading up I-65 to Montgomery and then hitting I-85 on up to Atlanta? That's an awesome route, and it will take you along the Mississippi Gulf Coast, if you haven't seen it since Katrina, around Mobile, right through Montgomery, and through the beautiful landscape of Alabama and Georgia up to Atlanta. :thumbsup:

Awesome man, I would much rather drive to Atlanta than fly. Much rather! Not only do you get to see a lot of the southeast, but you don't have to deal with all of the wait times, security checks, flight delays, and everything else that we see with the airline industry right now.

So you're going over through Saint Tammany on I-12 and then taking I-10 over to Mobile, and then heading up I-65 to Montgomery and then hitting I-85 on up to Atlanta? That's an awesome route, and it will take you along the Mississippi Gulf Coast, if you haven't seen it since Katrina, around Mobile, right through Montgomery, and through the beautiful landscape of Alabama and Georgia up to Atlanta. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure which route we're taking, but that's probably it because I know we're going through Montgomery. I can't wait though, usually I'll bring a game or something,but I always end up just staring out the window at all the new things. Maybe I'll see a rapper, since that's were they all seem to come from these days. :P

^ Hey, that is funny! But now he'll get to go through New Orleans on his way to Atlanta, right??

I doubted..he'll probably be taking I-12 from Slidell through Saint Tammany Parish, north of Lake Ponchartrain instead of taking I-10 south through New Orleans. Map

Though I hope he does end up taking the extra miles of the I-10 route, because he'd get that awesome view of the New Orleans skyline from over the Industrial Canal:

img73172vh6.jpg

:D

Yea, that angle doesn't give all the buildings justice, but it's still just awesome, IMO. I mean you can literally at least a piece of every major tower in the skyline. Many cities would kill for an angle like that. :D

After Trump Tower is completed in a few years, the skyline would look something like this from the same angle:

IMG_73174withtrump.jpg

I know that's about as un-professional as you can get as I just threw that together in about a minute, so you'll have to use your imagination a bit. But, you get the general idea of how a 720+ foot tower will impact our skyline. :thumbsup:

Well guys, I finally managed to download and write the Ubuntu image to a personal CD, and I'm going try to install it soon. I'm just backing up some of my other pictures and files to make sure I don't lose anything important in the transfer. Hopefully I'll be saying goodbye to Windows for good! :D

Well guys, I finally managed to download and write the Ubuntu image to a personal CD, and I'm going try to install it soon. I'm just backing up some of my other pictures and files to make sure I don't lose anything important in the transfer. Hopefully I'll be saying goodbye to Windows for good! :D

Did you ever try it first? I had asked Marc about it and he mentioned it would be good to get their demo CD first before completely switching. He said it runs a bit slower, naturally, since Windows is also still installed on the computer... but that it gives you a fee for Ubuntu. I was going to do the trial but forgot all about it, and I'm glad you posted this.

PLEASE report back here once you've been using it for a little while, because I'm very interested in how it works for you!

^No actually, I never tried the demo CD, and I'm pretty sure what I have now is also not the demo CD. I downloaded the Ubuntu 6.06 LTS disk, and from what I've read, the default installation deletes Windows and all software. That's why I'm making sure all of my important files and my pictures are backed up on CD's.

^No actually, I never tried the demo CD, and I'm pretty sure what I have now is also not the demo CD. I downloaded the Ubuntu 6.06 LTS disk, and from what I've read, the default installation deletes Windows and all software. That's why I'm making sure all of my important files and my pictures are backed up on CD's.

Oh no... I wasn't saying you were using the demo. I was just saying I had considered the demo to see if I'd like Ubuntu. I know you'll be using the real deal and that's why I'm going to wait for your reaction to it. Marc sings its praises, and I've heard from others who love it as well.

Oh no... I wasn't saying you were using the demo. I was just saying I had considered the demo to see if I'd like Ubuntu. I know you'll be using the real deal and that's why I'm going to wait for your reaction to it. Marc sings its praises, and I've heard from others who love it as well.

I've heard the name but I never looked into it. I didn't even know if had something to do with pictures. I'm also curious to hear more about this.

Oh no... I wasn't saying you were using the demo. I was just saying I had considered the demo to see if I'd like Ubuntu.

Oh ok, sorry about that, I just read your first post wrong.

Anyway, I've been using the demo option on the disk I have right now, and even though it's slow as I'm running it off of the disk, it seems great. I've had some problems installing plugins for Firefox, but other than that everything has been running smoothly. Ubuntu is 100% free, and comes with things like GIMP, Firefox, Open Office, and every application you could ever need, from a whole slew of games, graphics and video applications, to all kinds of options and add-ons. Think of it as Firefox, only as a complete operating system. And what I mean by that, is that there is a seemingly endless amount of free upgrades, bonus features, additional software, and plug-ins.

Here's a screenshot of the basic Ubuntu theme:

Dapper_with_apps.png

Ubuntu is packed with anything you need or find on Windows, but it is just so much easier to operate. The goal of the whole program is to be user friendly, and they have certainly accomplished that. It's simple, but it's still packed with everything.

One feature that I'm completely in love with, is the different "workspaces." If you look at the bottom right corner of that screenshot, you will see four boxes next to the recycle bin, these are "workspaces." Think of them as giant Firefox tabs, with different programs running on any you choose. For example, you can have GIMP and some photos up on the first workspace, have Firefox and some music open on the second workspace, and you could then be writing a paper on the third or fourth workspace. Of couse you don't need to use all of them, or even two of them, but it's still extremely convenient sometimes when you seem to have a million programs running, and it's a great idea, IMO. That is one of the many examples of things that Ubuntu has, and Windows flat out doesn't.

Now if I can just figure out how to install these flash player plugins for Firefox so that I can stream music and watch videos over the internet, I'd be pretty much set. I'll give you guys some more info soon, and if you have any questions, please ask.

As I said earlier, Ubuntu is 100% free, and I can back that up as I ordered and made my own CD's, and I paid nothing, not even shipping. You can download and make your own CD images in only a few minutes from Ubuntu's website, or order them in the mail. Once you have your CD's, you can just demo Ubuntu without changing a thing on your hard drive, just to see what you think. If you like it, you can fully install it, if you don't, nothing has been changed and you just re-boot your system and go back to Windows. So, what do you have to lose? :thumbsup:

Ubuntu's website: Link

Ubuntu on Wikipedia: Link

I'm now posting here using Ubuntu for the first time. :D

I'm still just running Ubuntu from the disk as I'm still trying to work on some kinks, mainly figuring out how to manually install the missing plug-ins that I was talking about earlier. Otherwise, I'm very happy with everything up to this point. :thumbsup:

I'm now posting here using Ubuntu for the first time. :D

I'm still just running Ubuntu from the disk as I'm still trying to work on some kinks, mainly figuring out how to manually install the missing plug-ins that I was talking about earlier. Otherwise, I'm very happy with everything up to this point. :thumbsup:

What's with the weird colors and swirly things coming at me from your post??????

Just kidding.... looks like everything's working out for you so far.