Raleigh Wide Open

pack-man

I know the CVS, Yancey's, Port City, Crema, Fay St Tavern, Big Easy, & The City Museum all have Saturday hours anyway. All I can think of that would need to have special hours would be the pita place, the little convenience store across from the Sheraton & the flower store.

American Pita Grill was open last year and had a quote along the lines of they made enough money in that one day to pay the rent for 4 months.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely excited for RWO2. Missed it last year. Do we know exactly what streets will be closed for this? Is it just Fayetteville St?

Also, a great place to pick up drinks and convenience stuff is the little shop right behind the Hudson on Wilmington near the corner of Davie. They always have Saturday hours as well.

Edit: Found this for street closings: http://www.raleighnc.gov/portal/server.pt/...2-12470144.html

I just went through downtown and there are no parking signs for F Street and the cross streets -- Hargett, Martin, and Davie. It looked like the east side of Salisbury was also no parking in spots, if not the whole stretch parallel to Fayetville Street.

There were bleachers on the corner of Morgan and Fayetville, but I didn't notice any others since I was driving.

We're getting ready to go down there and I cannot find ONE mention of this in the News & Observer today or in the What's Up section from yesterday. Now, I assume there won't be 70,000 people there but still, this is a big deal.

All hail the national media conglomerate. They have no regard for what we actually do around here.

We had a good time, though we didn't get out there until about 9:30. It was pretty crowded, but not like the photos of it last year. So..I'd take a wild guess at 30K-40K throughout the day there??? (I'm bad at guessing volumes). The fireworks were not particularly good. They only launched them about 500' in the air, so they were barely taller than the BB&T building. Having seen those in Wilmington on the 4th, they seemed really wimpy.

Eddie Money has a vocal range of 3 notes, but he's had a lot of good songs and is a genuinely nice guy. Nevertheless, we had a great time! (Parking at that time in the city hall deck was free, btw).

The N&O's "coverage" of RWO 2 was quite pathetic.

It got a small mention on the corner of the "What's Up" tabloid pull-out section. The editors decided a cover story on gay cinema was more important. The preview story itself was buried, closer to the back page than the front.

There was an ok story.. on the city and state page. They sent a photographer and a reporter the handful of blocks from McDowell to Fayetville street, and seemed to not cover anything after the sun went down.

I have no idea who scheduled the 3 on 3 hoops tourmanment for Person Street/Moore Square the same weekend as RWO. That event, which used to be sponsored by the N&O, might not have had any coverage.

Harry Potter beat out the parade and other activities, but we did watch the fireworks from East Street. We couldn't see some of the lower fireworks since the Magnet Middle School was in the way, but could easily see the higher explosions.

I agree with Dana on the disappointment with the fireworks height. The majority were probably only a couple hundred feet with only few rising higher to explode. They also weren't perfectly centered looking south down F street, but what can you do.

Here's my recap:

http://raleighskyline.com/content/2007/07/...open-july-2007/

Thanks for the recaps. It sounds as if it was not quite as big as the last one, but a good time nevertheless.

I was bummed I missed it, and I remember the fireworks being pretty (almost surprisingly) sweet last time. I was extra special bummed that I missed the chance to hear "Two Tickets to Paradise" straight from the horse's mouth!

Ditto on the fireworks, I was camped out on South Saunders and had a lot of time to think between fireworks bursts that got high enough to shoot. It is cool to have them downtown and I hope that the fireworks and Raleigh Wide Open continue to evolve in the years to come (Maybe someone can come up with a better name). It's cool to think that in a couple of years someone will be watching the fireworks show from a condo in RBC Plaza.

Ditto on the fireworks, I was camped out on South Saunders and had a lot of time to think between fireworks bursts that got high enough to shoot. It is cool to have them downtown and I hope that the fireworks and Raleigh Wide Open continue to evolve in the years to come (Maybe someone can come up with a better name). It's cool to think that in a couple of years someone will be watching the fireworks show from a condo in RBC Plaza.

Tie it to artsplosure and let the final day of artsplosure be a grand finale of parades and fireworks Nawlin's style with floats, beads and ethnic cooking from all over, indian, ethopian, cajun, asian, italian etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Do you guys know who the folks were that made that sweet delicious popcorn, in front of the courthouse, and revenue building during Raleigh Wide Open? I have a ridiculously major craving for it. They made it in a massive, industrial looking kettle cooker. :wub::P:lol:;)

It is called Kettle Corn, and if it was the same people that are at Artsplosure every year, it is quite good.

The Lazy Daze festival is coming up within a week I think in Cary. I know they have a few pop/kettle corn vendors so you might want to scope that out to see if you can track down who it was, because they will probably be there as well.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I walked ALL around the convention center today, went to the international festival, saw the ballroom, rode a segway, and got a cup of tea inside. All I can say is WOW. It is absolutely the most gorgeous public meeting space I have EVER seen, absolutely fantastic. You should all check it out tommorrow while it's still open all the time! Also, the shimmer wall is going to cause soooo many accidents! IT's just so pretty!

Archived