Designed for Richmond

Cadeho

Damn, you really cranked that out and it looks great! I also started creating a basic 3D layout of your plan (with noted changes), but I made the mistake of turning on the 3D terrain and am still fighting with creating the appropriate grades. I really like the addition of the clock tower and certainly could pick up a few things up off of you with Sketch-up. I also agree that low density feels inappropriate for the location, though with the cul-de-sac I think full residential would be appropriate further out from the the stadium, rather than mixed use. The row housing would be great a few blocks Southwest.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are awesome proposals! I hope that if the city decides to use Manchester, a proposal to renovate/remodel the SS Silos would follow suit. In this proposal that would be an awesome site for residential overlooking the ballpark. I think at this point Manchester is the best bet for a new stadium. I wouldn't even be opposed to seeing a new coliseum built over there and have the old space north of the river returned to the original city grid.

Sorry to stray from the Manchester project, but now that Chester brought back my interest in Sketchup, I started go back in this thread and came across a post I missed of Tommy's.

You get that, too!?! Man I hate it! The lag makes me want to throw in the towel..I thought it was my computer being slow. When you're finished with designing, go to 'View' on the task-bar, then down to 'Edge Style' on the drop-down menu and un-check 'Display Edges.' It makes it a little less laggy for when you take screen shots. I'd be really curious to see how your tower looks in that mode.

MotokoTowersNoEdges.jpg

I like that view, except for how the glass curtains lose their grids. One of these days, when I feel like fighting with the lag, I will have to thicken the floor plates so as to be visible.

I also worked more on the Parking Garage (designed for Mains St. between 3rd and 4th St., not the Canal St. lot pictured above), but stopped a good year ago as I made the mistake of including structural thicknesses, individual stairs, and all interior surfaces textured (since everything was visible from the exterior), of which brought the program to an intolerable crawl. Last copy I have on here is at the 13th floor, where some extra office space was to rise 2-3 more floors with a major setback (I think I had some of that done on my office PC). The garage holds only about 1100 vehicles as pictured (well below the 2000 goal, but within requirements), though there would be a couple levels of lower parking for an extra 160-240 spaces. Walls are pre-cast slabs with a warehouse look and future aesthetics were intended. The windows would either be single-pane tilt ventilated or just bars to give the impression of windows. There are also four ventilation shafts running the height of the structure. The two full pictures are the Cary St. facing (South side), while the North side would be connected to the tower via an enclosed pedestrian bridge at the 3rd floor. Small office spaces fill the entire height of the North wall (retail on ground floor facing alley/valet drop-off), as there was not sufficient space for another row of parking without butting the garage up to the tower. The Northeast and Northwest corners contain stairwells, while the North wall contains two elevator shafts (four additional within the main tower).

Cary St. Facing. Garage entrances from 3rd St.

CaryStreetParkingDeckUnfinished.jpg

X-Ray view

CaryStreetParkingDeckX-Ray.jpg

Northeast corner details

CaryStreetParkingDeckNEDetail.jpg

• 1 year later...

I can't believe I missed that post!^^ That looks awesome, Icetera! Where exactly is the parking garage located?

If the Tower were to be placed on the Southern block along W. Main St., between 3rd and 4th St., this would fit on the same block fronting Cary St. with physical connections to the tower. I will have to see if I can dig up a picture of the structures on the same image for better visualization.

Nice work, Icetera.

My dream would be a cluster of very tall towers (at least one exceeding 60 floors) on the 9 city blocks, or sections thereof, bounded by Second to Fifth and Main to Byrd Streets (bridgng the expressway.) The skyscraper "village" would be on high ground along Main Street terracing down toward the river and as a "cluster" would be in a scale of its own -- sort of an Emerald City amid the present skyline.

LordChesterfield had inspired me with his ideas for the Manchester District, so I played around a bit with Sketchup. I have not touched this project in a good six months, so I figure I may as well post some of what I have done (built upon the layouts created above):

ManchesterDistrictView-South.jpg

View from Downtown Richmond

ManchesterDistrictAerial-South.jpg

Aerial View of the Manchester District

ManchesterDistrictAerial.jpg

Satellite View of the Manchester District

I really enjoy the architecture behind Blue's Armory, so I decided to combine it with the industrial nature of the area when designing the stadium. I believe the dimensions are still around the same as what i posted up top and seating capacity is estimated to be around 10-12000.

StadiumSouthEntrance.jpg

Stadium South Entrance - View East along W. 6th St.

StadiumEastEntrance.jpg

Stadium East Entrance - View West from Hull St. through 5th St. Plaza (Truly Richmond: notice the fountain does not have running water!)

StadiumNorthFacing.jpg

Stadium Parking Deck along W. 4th St.

StadiumWestFacing.jpg

Stadium - View from West

StadiumSeatingCloseup.jpg

Stadium Seating Close-up with private boxes.

StatdiumViewTowardsHomePlate.jpg

Stadium - View toward Home Plate

StatdiumViewFromHomePlate.jpg

Stadium - View from Home Plate

StadiumCapacity.jpg

Continuation of above:

HotelViewFromNorth2.jpg

Hotel and Condos with shared pool set into lower parking deck.

HotelViewFromNorth.jpg

Hotel and Condos - View from North

HotelViewFromSouth.jpg

Hotel - View North along Hull St.

ReynoldsTowersView-East.jpg

Reynolds Towers Condo - West Tower (Parking Deck - West Entrance from W. 6th St.)

ReynoldsTowersView-EastCloseup.jpg

Reynolds Towers Condo - West Tower Closeup

ReynoldsTowersView-South.jpg

Reynolds Towers Condo - Lower Parking Garage and Central Conference Center and Amenities (Indoor pool, Fitness, etc.)

ReynoldsTowersView-West.jpg

Reynolds Towers Condo - East Tower View North along Bainbridge St.

ReynoldsTowersAerial.jpg

Reynolds Towers Condo - West Tower Aerial View

OfficeTowerViewNorth.jpg

Office Tower - Southwest Entrance

OfficeTowerViewSouth.jpg

Office Tower -Northwest Entrance

FutureApartments.jpg

Future Apartment/Condo Building

I like it - except that the Reynold's Tower Condos block the view from Legend's deck. Would you consider moving the north tower south to open up the view? The stadium arches reminds me of Franklin Field in Philly.

I never even thought about Legend's so I will have to play around with that idea. It does appear half of the deck has a view in between the two towers while the other half can see along the Northwest (probably Monroe Park, Hollywood, etc) thanks to the angling of the tower but would be blocked from most of the Central Business District views. I may have to drive down there to take a look in the near future.

I really like the idea of a ballpark and mixed use development in Manchester with views of the city. Don't get me wrong, Boulevard is great but I'd much rather have closer views of the city and riverfront than the current views from the Diamond and surrounding area. The concept you've come up with is really impressive--I like the architectural styles.

• 4 weeks later...

You know that former bridge next to the Manchester bridge? (The one with like just its legs left standing) I think that would make a great pedestrian bridge to Manchester....

and it wouldn't hurt to extend that little segment of a bridge from Brown's Island (the one that has steel steps with Civil War dates and quotes engraved on it.) Those two could make excellent pedestrian bridges and make wonderful photo ops and jogs across the river, or even an easier and greener way to walk, run or bike to the other side of the James (Manchester).

I believe in four areas that can be used, shape, renovated and built into great districts on a smaller scale, the West End/Boulevard, Manchester, Shockoe Valley (to some capacity).

Boulevard-

I think we can remodel the Boulevard (or Manchester) into a LA Live-Century City influenced district with the Diamond and a new Richmond Arena, few mid-rises and about one high-rises because the area can become even better and still preserve the simplicity of the surrounding neighborhoods and current businesses

Manchester-

Convert that into a North Loop district style district with the current warehouses and business intact.

Shockoe District-

Same as Manchester but on a smaller scale with the influence of the New Orleans Warehouse district style.

Jackson Ward-

All I can say is...this area can turn to both New Orleans and San Francisco for help because they neighborhoods are very Identical to those cities.

And we can learn from these few cites in how we can shape our uniqueness and develop our character with urban design and master planning....

-NEW ORLEANS (Architectural/Historical preservation)

-SAN FRANCISCO (Architectual/Historical preservation AND IMITATION)

-PITTSBURG (appropriate urban expansion and development within limited areas).

-PHILLY, PENN (All of the above)

-ATLANTA (Appropriate Urban expansion)

-MINNEAPOLIS (Same as #3,Whom I think we favor really well. Think about...City by river, known for arts, same aerial coverage...).

I believe in four areas that can be used, shape, renovated and built into great districts on a smaller scale, the West End/Boulevard, Manchester, Shockoe Valley (to some capacity).

Boulevard-

I think we can remodel the Boulevard (or Manchester) into a LA Live-Century City influenced district with the Diamond and a new Richmond Arena, few mid-rises and about one high-rises because the area can become even better and still preserve the simplicity of the surrounding neighborhoods and current businesses

Manchester-

Convert that into a North Loop district style district with the current warehouses and business intact.

Shockoe District-

Same as Manchester but on a smaller scale with the influence of the New Orleans Warehouse district style.

Jackson Ward-

All I can say is...this area can turn to both New Orleans and San Francisco for help because they neighborhoods are very Identical to those cities.

And we can learn from these few cites in how we can shape our uniqueness and develop our character with urban design and master planning....

-NEW ORLEANS (Architectural/Historical preservation)

-SAN FRANCISCO (Architectual/Historical preservation AND IMITATION)

-PITTSBURG (appropriate urban expansion and development within limited areas).

-PHILLY, PENN (All of the above)

-ATLANTA (Appropriate Urban expansion)

-MINNEAPOLIS (Same as #3,Whom I think we favor really well. Think about...City by river, known for arts, same aerial coverage...).

This idea is pretty neat, especially the New Orleans type of scenario in Shockoe areas. That could be another way to bring a little more foot traffic to that general area. The only foot traffic I know of there is the crowds of drunks coming out of all the bars at 2 in the morning on Saturday nights :alc::( ...... if we could do something big and nice for the Canal Walk, then I know that the foot traffic will spill over into Shockoe, but it needs some (or actually a LOT) of infrastructure improvements. I kinda like that Cathedral Walk idea connecting Shockoe and Main St. Station to the Canal Walk from the new Shockoe Revitalization Study.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought of a new idea, Highway Caps for I95 through Jackson Ward and I64 on the Downtown Expressway (or extend Kanawha Plaza).

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/theskyline/2011/10/ohio-highway-cap-at-forefront-of-urban-design-trend-retail-complex-atop-columbus-expressway-offers-m.html

It's a really effective way to bridge the communities that were divided by the highways. And turn these highway caps into city parks or greenways of some kind.

The city could use this as a motive to promote itself as "green".

I thought of a new idea, Highway Caps for I95 through Jackson Ward and I64 on the Downtown Expressway (or extend Kanawha Plaza).

http://featuresblogs...y-offers-m.html

It's a really effective way to bridge the communities that were divided by the highways. And turn these highway caps into city parks or greenways of some kind.

The city could use this as a motive to promote itself as "green".

I really like that.

I always thought capping the Downtown Expressway would be a really neat idea.

Imagine a lush greenway and park system stretching over the expressway from Boulevard to 10th Street. It would also physically 're-connect' much of downtown with the riverfront.

Realistically, we wont see something like that for decades to come, if ever. The billions of dollars necessary to do something like that is a major commitment that we just can't afford (and most would be unwilling to make).

I imagine the land values of adjacent parcels would skyrocket. Similar to the land next to many other 'central parks' in other cities (notably, New York, of course).

But hey guys, I'll make a deal with you all. If I ever somehow become a crazy rich multi-billionaire, I'll "Make It Happen." :)

• 3 weeks later...

Now I know that it isn't currently there, but note the words "proposed" in the description.....

This interesting little sign has the current Carytown logo on it, and has a grand entrance sign that could possibly greet drivers and pedestrians as they cross the Downtown Expressway/I-195 and into C-town. It has two designs, one with the VCU French Film Festival, and another with a glass of wine and bottle. Depending on the event, the sign could advertise many Carytown related events, such as the Watermelon Fest. in August, or VCU in the NCAA Tourney in March (if they get that far again :thumbsup: ) This sign is very much matching with the style of Carytown, and I think someone should actually propose it to the city for review. It would be quite grand for someone entering the district for the first time (2015, anyone? :rolleyes: )

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=257f82325e67f41d6270c4dc1a5a444c&ct=mdsa&prevstart=0

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I might be late... if this is already posted here.. forgive me... I don't keep up like I used to...

Was this discussed? I love the design and all... exactly what I had drawn but better! I do think they should keep Franklin open though. http://urbanscalerichmondvirginia.blogspot.com/2012/01/proposal-for-17th-street-market.html

I might be late... if this is already posted here.. forgive me... I don't keep up like I used to...

Was this discussed? I love the design and all... exactly what I had drawn but better! I do think they should keep Franklin open though. http://urbanscaleric...eet-market.html

I don't recall seeing this Urban Scale plan. It's quite interesting

Cam, the top rendering does show Franklin Street extended under the MSS shed.

Whatever happens, I wish they would extend the train shed between the two rail lines all the way to Broad Street and use the ground and upper levels of the new shed for a transportation transfer hub.

Sort of off-topic, but I will repeat my plaint about the local bus system: Eventhough bus stops along Broad, Grace Main and side streets appear crowded with potential riders, most buses I've noticed are practically empty. :tough:

Archived