Favorite downtown highrise in Charlotte

queensguy06

I searched for a topic like this, but to no avail. My question to you UPers out there, what is your favorite highrise in Charlotte? Or, if you would prefer, favorite building? And to make it more interesting give your reason why you think that said building is the best in Charlotte.

I think that we all can agree that the BofA Corp. building is one of the best, but I think my favorite building in Charlotte would have to be the Interstate Tower. I love the design of the 'cylinder inside the box' look it has. http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=449743 The use of many different shapes on the top of this building makes it fun to look at, almost as if everytime you look you find some new angle or shape in the design. And the lighting at night just adds to the appeal of this building for me.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, the Interstate tower is especially cool. But I have to say my favorite is BOA when lit up in Panther Blue at night. During the daytime though, the Charlotte Plaza's mirror effect makes for great shots of downtown.

436626.jpg

I love BofA Corp tower of course, but I also love the Interstate Tower. I remember when it was built, it was touted as a groundbreaking project, groundbreaking as far as quality and excellence in design. I think those initial statements were correct, as all projects following Interstate (except for ATT&T) have been thoughtfully conceived and executed.

It was a groundbreaking high rise, and should remain a real eye-popper for decades to come!

I am really fond of the Westin Charlotte and the Odell building (forgot what its name is now). I have always loved the unorthodox design of the Westin and plus, it looks so good when you are driving on 277. The top of Odell and the fact that it gets lost in the shuffle sometimes are why I like this building. In the future, Vue Charlotte may top them all for me.

From a skyline perspective--BOA Coporate Center; no explanation needed.

From a street-level perspective--IJL (a very underrated tower). I like how it is diagonally oriented to the street, with two restaurants flanking the base of the tower. The fountains are cool too.

From the perspective of appearance from the outside, as well as how the building looks and feels inside, I really like Hearst Tower and IJL. BofA Corporate Center is nice as well. Hopefully the new Wachovia Tower matches up with these, it will give a great contrast to the skyline.

• 2 weeks later...

Uptown520009.jpg

I love that building too, But it might be toast according to many "in the know" :( . I am still praying that we do not lose yet another historic building in Uptown. I think any land owner or developer could easily save the building & retrofit it for a higher and better use. If they upfit it for condos, I would definately buy. The building is very classy and as you stated something you would see in a city like NYC.

A2

If they tear that down :angry:

They could upfit it easy for condos/apartments/w/e. Tearing it down would be a sin.

I totally agree UC. I was pissed when I found out too. We might need to ask our buddy atlrvr on the timeline. He is a bit more in-tune with the fate of this building. What I totally do not want to happen is a demo, then a delay in a large project, which would result in another surface lot.

This happened on the 300 S tryon Block. Cornerstone tore down to build, but a tower never materialized. Now fortunately we are going to get something quite nice, but it has been sitting as a parking lot for many years waiting on the economy to support a project.

I pray we keep this wonderful old piece of history, or else face yet another buldng of the past erased from our urban landscape forever.

A2

God, let's hope so. You know, before the Ritz/BofA selected the College St location for their hotel, I always thought that Hall House would make a great upscale/boutique hotel. I secretly prayed for the Ritz to take over that building for a long time. It was originally built as a hotel, so it just seems logical that it should return to its roots and former glory. I love the oh-so-slightly art deco first floor facade. That building has so much potential.

Archived