UP - Grand Rapids Downtown Identity Campaign

GRDadof3

Yesterday GVSU's morning show had an interview with someone who talked about "keep it a secret" and other city slogans. I kept waiting for mentions of our highway signs, church billboards, and so forth.

BTW, have yet to see the psycho olive anywhere DT. Perhaps they are keeping their own counsel.

I've only seen a couple of the new olive logos downtown: (perhaps appropriately) Olive Express and on the front of the Chamber of Commerce.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Psst... keep it a secret.

I now know that I am out of the loop.

I thought that the problem was that it was a secret.

I would love to have been in the brainstorming session that came up with that one. I must give them some credit that they stayed away from variations of GR, grand, rapids, river and water references, I think that we have enough of those.

So I guess I am required to make some alternative suggestions:

see why its called a city

its here, where are you?

we have more stuff

you won't need your pick-up truck

homeless, smomeless, they just want a quarter

you won't get shot!

(the last two are based off questions by prospective students from when I worked at KCAD)

How do the business owners Downtown feel about their money spent on this campaign? Seems to me that the only people impressed are thoes who paid for it, isn't that a little counter to briging people downtown? It's almost as if downtown people are impressed because they think they should be.

How do the business owners Downtown feel about their money spent on this campaign? Seems to me that the only people impressed are thoes who paid for it, isn't that a little counter to briging people downtown? It's almost as if downtown people are impressed because they think they should be.

I'm a downtown business owner and I'm not impressed.

How about this one:

From the NE to the SE to the NW to the SW, from Center City to the Heartside, from the heights of Alger to the parks of Comstock, from Rivertown to the Thornapple River, from Millenium Park (which someday will dwarf Central Park) to 5/3 Ballpark. Drive, bike, run, walk, take a train, or ride a plane to GR: Great, Green, Growing, Greater Grand Rapids.

How about this one:

From the NE to the SE to the NW to the SW, from Center City to the Heartside, from the heights of Alger to the parks of Comstock, from Rivertown to the Thornapple River, from Millenium Park (which someday will dwarf Central Park) to 5/3 Ballpark. Drive, bike, run, walk, take a train, or ride a plane to GR: Great, Green, Growing, Greater Grand Rapids.

It might be hard to get that all on a poster or a t-shirt.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved this exchange:

"It's taken me a little while to get there," he said. "I admit that. But I think it accomplishes what it sets out to do, that is to convey the message we've got something special."

Canepa said: "Then why don't we say that?"

Canepa: 1 Heartwell: 0

I loved this exchange:

"It's taken me a little while to get there," he said. "I admit that. But I think it accomplishes what it sets out to do, that is to convey the message we've got something special."

Canepa said: "Then why don't we say that?"

Canepa: 1 Heartwell: 0

(Moved over from another thread)

I noticed that quote, too, Torgo. Even from Canepa's quote in that article the slogan idea of "Grand Rapids: Something Special" would be so much better than "Keep it a Secret". I know this belongs in the appropriate thread, but do you think Heartwell is really a convert to Keep it a Secret?

(Moved over from another thread)

I noticed that quote, too, Torgo. Even from Canepa's quote in that article the slogan idea of "Grand Rapids: Something Special" would be so much better than "Keep it a Secret". I know this belongs in the appropriate thread, but do you think Heartwell is really a convert to Keep it a Secret?

No, I don't think he's a convert. But he's being a pragmatic leader and is getting on board with it. It's way too late to say you don't like it. They all saw a rough draft before it went to print.

But he might be thinking "Note to self, maybe let's not use Hanon McKendry again".

Archived