Richmond Coffee House

JWCJ

1 hour ago, Shakman said:

Me too!  I prefer cold over hot temperatures.

Amen!! Same here.

Man - I spent almost 39 years sweltering through Virginia heat and humidity - and when I got up here and the weather was SO noticeably different - wow. I couldn't believe it.

The last time I was in Virginia was in April 2019 when my now ex-wife was doing one of her Ph.D. residencies at National Harbor, just across the Potomac in Maryland. So my extent of "being in Virginia" was basically time spent flying into/out of DCA and schlepping via Uber between the airport and the hotel/resort. We were there for a week, and I took the kids on a couple of day trips into the District (they'd never been) and we spent the days doing stuff like wandering around the National Mall, visiting a few of the famous sites (Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, Capital, etc.) going to the Smithsonian (mainly Air and Space), finding places to eat and then schlepping back to the hotel (which did include transferring from the Metro to the bus in Alexandria - so technically a tad more time in Virginia on those days). My kids couldn't understand how I knew where everything was - (obviously, because they'd never been, everything was brand spanking new to them) - and they couldn't quite grasp the fact that I grew up in Richmond and that over the course of nearly four decades, I went to Dee Cee ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE TIMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! 😂 Me saying to them "I'm from here" just didn't register with them (mind you, my oldest was only 10 at the time - she's 14 now).

Anyway- I mention all of that because the day we arrived (early April) it was already in the 80s and the humidity was suffocating. I told my ex-wife as we exited the airport into the "sauna that is the Commonwealth" - "Now I remember EXACTLY why it was that I left here and moved to the Upper Midwest (at the time) almost two decades ago." She's a Chicago native and was glad to be in the A/C at the conference center for the week, though thankfully a cold front came through and it did cool down about halfway through our stay. A couple of the evenings were quite brisk - chilly even - and we loved taking the kids out in the evening in the cooler weather.

Soooooo... there you have it!

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

1 hour ago, rancenc said:

Recent aerial view of downtown Richmond.

FANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNTASTIC!!!

Thanks SO much @rancenc-- great find!

An absolutely silver-hardware-worthy find. That said - you've earned yourself some VERY prestigious (and highly-coveted) RVA/UP silver goodness for locating and posting this gem of a video. Mazal Tov!!!

image.png.739c2f8800c0bb4afa0eb3060454ef75.png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1