Civic apathy

krazeeboi

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Greenville's defense, the only reason why the municipal population is shrinking is because the city has failed to annex aggressively, unlike Columbia and Charleston. I think they're starting to work on that though.

At any rate, I like a lot of what you had to say CorgiMatt, especially about Columbia's "feel." It really is interesting, because in some spots of downtown, the city feels like a Northeastern city--the area around the Oliver Gospel Mission always makes me think about NYC or DC or something like that (only that one particular element). And others parts do remind me of the Lowcountry.

I'm really curious to know why with all the positve changes that have been going on in the city why are so many outsiders trying to continually piss on it? I mean the changes the city has been through in the last 5 years is unlike anything seen before. Yet all others want to continue to knock the city and it's residents by posting obvious negative home city boosterism statements on this forum, or on the "State" newspaper discussion board. I don't get it? You constantly hear hypocritical statements from them like, "take pride and interest in your town" but as soon as something positive happens there everyone wants to drag you down. The irony is they pretend to take the high road but as soon as the get behind closed doors their true colors definately shine through. Now to me that's sad. There must be some pretty slow days in those towns seriosly!

'Skyliner' date='Apr 27 2006, 01:30 PM' post='411690']Fortunately that is NOT the case here.

Well I honestly beg to differ, when infact there are several members from the Greenville forum that have pretty much openly said they have made condesending remarks about Columbia on the State newspaper forum.

'MAJIKMAN' date='Apr 25 2006, 10:53 AM' post='408862']But you also have to look at the commits at the bottom of the page. Some are good , but alot are really bad. Looks like that article got under the skin of some of our brothers and sister down in Columbia.

'Greenville' date='Apr 25 2006, 01:12 PM' post='409022']

I just read the article, and left a response. I can understand why Columbia people feel the way they do. Gamecock fans respond in the same resentful, delusional way when reminded of Clemson's success and achievement.

'GvilleSC' date='Apr 26 2006, 10:25 AM' post='410060']

I just read that article and the comments. My gosh! It was a great article, but the comments were 1,000 times more childish than anything seen on UP. It honestly made the residents of Columbia look like fools and idiots. Unimpressed. Quite honestly, a shame.

'RestedTraveler' date='Apr 26 2006, 03:50 PM' post='410538']

I simply couldn't resist responding. :ph34r:

'Greenville' date='Apr 26 2006, 09:08 PM' post='411024']

Me either! :good:

whitehourseview' date='Apr 26 2006, 09:57 PM' post='411081']

Is this you Greenville: The Greenville Braves tried to hold the City of Greenville hostage, demanding that the city finance and build a new $20-$25 Million ballpark downtown. I'm quite happy that the City of Greenville's "Power Brokers" worked through the clouds of prospective Double AA and Single A Teams wanting to relocate to Greenville on Greenville's dime and found the relationship they did in RB3 and that the new Greenville Drive financed construction of their own ballpark...and a beautiful one it is, too. It's called "leadership," folks. I know it's not easily discernable to those down there in Columbia, so I forgive you for not recognizing it immediately.

If so, nicely stated.

RestedTraveler' date='Apr 27 2006, 06:49 AM' post='411175']

That'd be me.

Skyliner' date='Apr 27 2006, 12:42 PM' post='411627']

Nice avatar, GvilleSC. For a second I got you confused with Greenville.

Thanks for the great reply, RT. That was completely accurate and necessary, despite doing little to nothing to change these crazy people's minds. They speak of things unseen and are completely unwilling to have their eyes opened to the truth. :thumbsup: But I guess there are people just the same in every city around the World.

And the last one was the probverbial kick in the ass. I was under the impression that there was support for all SC cities but that obviously isn't the case it is and always will be very hometown bias. Even for some who claim to be "moderators". There are some people who post from the Greenville forum that I can actually say keep an open mind, and respect others points of view, or may have just cause to make such comments. I wont play high and mighty and pretend that myself or Columbia members haven't taken shots at Greenville, however I do speak positively and support the city whenever I talk to people who ask about it here in KY, but how can one say I support all cities in SC then turn around and support a condecending post about another SC city that isn't your own? The fact is that Columbia despite all of its alleged problems is a strong growing town (growing faster than Greenville even at least according to the census), with good people, and a strong sense of civic pride, yet and still no matter what the city has accomplished (Canalside, Bull St., Meridian, First Citizens, Colonial Ctr, Congaree, Innovista, 3 Rivers Greenway, Colonial Center, etc..etc...) somehow we are supposed to be the blind, ignorant ones who are unwilling to accept the truth?

If I get banned from the site so be it. At least I can voice one last time, and hope that it wont be censored. In fact one of the reasons I came to this site was so that my voice could be heard amongst all the other voices who were so eager to drown me out on other similar forum style sites. But don't piss on me and try to tell me it's rain!

I'm not sure where you're getting this banned stuff from. :blink:

You have some valid points, but those quotes are somewhat out of context. The problem is that from their persepctive its mostly very strong civic pride on their part. They see it as a positive thing. Its hard to tell someone not to have civic pride. I do agree that Greenville seems too willing to look down on other SC cities for whatever reason on this forum. We all need to focus on being positive towards all of our cities in South Carolina, because what is good for one is good for all.

Columbians just need to step up to the plate and start talking. I know there are some lurkers out there who want to say something! There is no reason for Columbia to not have the pride and not be more vocal that Greenville.

I just find it so crazy that people regard one little minor league baseball stadium, even as nice as it may be, as the absolute highest embodiment of "progress." If anything, most of the posts from Columbians expressed disappointment about Columbia's role and gave compliments to Greenville. If all of the recent progress in Columbia doesn't convince one that the city truly has great leadership, then he/she is simply blinded and refuses to see the truth in favor of shameless boosterism.

And when did it become a USC/Clemson thing?

['Greenville' date=Apr 25 2006, 01:12 PM' post='409022]I just read the article, and left a response. I can understand why Columbia people feel the way they do. Gamecock fans respond in the same resentful, delusional way when reminded of Clemson's success and achievement.

That's what I was referring to.

To Columbia, I say don't get caught up in the fray. The numbers justify you in a broad array of categories.

...I do agree that Greenville seems too willing to look down on other SC cities for whatever reason on this forum...

As do many members from EVERY city on this forum and even many more who are not on the forum as well. You can't say that Greenville hasn't been slammed multiple times in the Columbia forum. I do not defend people who post invalid negative posts about Columbia. I regret that I "completely" agreed with RT's post (after reading it once again), as my response was intended for the ones who had replied to the article bashing Greenville for no reason but pure hatred or ignorance. I know there are many living there who would not stoop to that level, but since a few did, it was necessary to respond. If you think I try to bash Columbia everywhere I go, think again. That is why I take the time to post in this forum. There are also times when things become too slow and it is necessary to inject a little conversation, which inevitably brings up the traffic. :thumbsup:

I just find it so crazy that people regard one little minor league baseball stadium, even as nice as it may be, as the absolute highest embodiment of "progress." If anything, most of the posts from Columbians expressed disappointment about Columbia's role and gave compliments to Greenville. If all of the recent progress in Columbia doesn't convince one that the city truly has great leadership, then he/she is simply blinded and refuses to see the truth in favor of shameless boosterism.

And when did it become a USC/Clemson thing?

It depends on which excites you more - minor league baseball or upper tier A college baseball. The zoning signs are up all the way from Blossom to Catawba (3 big city blocks) on the river for USC to get final approval for their new 6500-seat riverfront baseball park and surrounding urban residential/retail complex with views of the gorgeous Congaree River and a panoramic view of Columbia's downtown skyline. Columbia is not out to best Greenville on the setting of its new baseball park, but it's going to be hard to match what we'll have in time for USC's 2008 baseball season.

It depends on which excites you more - minor league baseball or upper tier A college baseball...

Each has its advantages, and it is great we can enjoy both forms of the same great game. I am thrilled with the plan for a new ballpark in Columbia along the river. This will indeed become one of the premiere venues for collegiate baseball, I have no doubt. We in the Upstate also enjoy top notch college baseball, although we won't be receiving a new university ballpark as extravagant as the new University of South Carolina home anytime soon, unless I'm mistaken. It is great to live in a state with such a high level of performance in this sport. I wish USC well in their new ballpark. :)

Enough of Columbia vs. Greenville. I'm getting nauseated, I really am.

This thread is about how Columbia, Columbia, can instill more civic pride in its citizens. And this doesn't consist of slamming other cities; it makes a place look insecure at best and haughty at worst. So on a practical level, how can Columbia manage to get the everyday citizen excited about his/her city and its future?

Columbia vs Greenville is not on topic at all people. So, how about Krazee's questions?

I think it will take more than a skyscraper to do it. It will take something truely unique that the city can brag about (not that there aren't dozens of them already). Something new. Perhaps some sort of world-class park along the river....

You're right it will take more than a skyscraper, ESPECIALLY is there isn't street-level retail in the ground floor (shame on you, First Citizens!). But two new towers within the past two years ain't bad. Maybe a new tallest would do the trick, something with a crown or spire. We can hope...

The vibe I got when Meridian was completed was... "thats cool!" and then back to business as usual. It really didn't seem to phase anyone as anything that important.

I wonder if it is because people live out in the suburbs and ever come downtown?

Enough of Columbia vs. Greenville. I'm getting nauseated, I really am.

This thread is about how Columbia, Columbia, can instill more civic pride in its citizens. And this doesn't consist of slamming other cities; it makes a place look insecure at best and haughty at worst. So on a practical level, how can Columbia manage to get the everyday citizen excited about his/her city and its future?

Get The State to hire yellow journalists who find a way to put in a plug for the newspaper's home town (Columbia) in every article they write, the way journalists from other places do.

Archived