Crane City

GRDadof3

Don't know if I posted this before, but here's a recent shot from the Hill:

180819899_e1359e0f11_b.jpg

Original Size

Non-pano, clearer image

What a great town (city)!!

And for all you "wet-blanket" types, here's a test for you. Take a look at this picture and you probably say "Wow, a lot of cranes in that city":

179195795_0949872bbf_b.jpg

But it's because you're not from there and don't look at it every day. The number of cranes in the sky in GR are at least double if not triple that photo.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know if I posted this before, but here's a recent shot from the Hill:

180819899_e1359e0f11_b.jpg

Original Size

Non-pano, clearer image

What a great town (city)!!

And for all you "wet-blanket" types, here's a test for you. Take a look at this picture and you probably say "Wow, a lot of cranes in that city":

179195795_0949872bbf_b.jpg

But it's because you're not from there and don't look at it every day. The number of cranes in the sky in GR are at least double if not triple that photo.

IS that Long Beach? Anyways you may be impressed with a few cranes in the sky but I just got back from Europe where they use several tower cranes for everything all over the place even low rise projects like the art museum.

This is the only good pic I have illistrating it but this is the Stuttgart Germany airport and I think they are building a new ramp and maybe some buildings but they would have small tower cranes out in the country constructing houses and several in each city cranes.jpg

I counted 9 cranes visable in this pic if you zoom in and there were several more at this airport alone

just saying it may look cool but if a European comes here dont think they will be impressed with our 5 tower cranes

IS that Long Beach? Anyways you may be impressed with a few cranes in the sky but I just got back from Europe where they use several tower cranes for everything all over the place even low rise projects like the art museum.

This is the only good pic I have illistrating it but this is the Stuttgart Germany airport and I think they are building a new ramp and maybe some buildings but they would have small tower cranes out in the country constructing houses and several in each city

I counted 9 cranes visable in this pic if you zoom in and there were several more at this airport alone

just saying it may look cool but if a European comes here dont think they will be impressed with our 5 tower cranes

No, it's Norfolk. Are you saying you're not AT ALL impressed with the number of cranes downtown right now? :rolleyes:

edit.

Thanks 6th Gen!

No, it's Norfolk. Are you saying you're not AT ALL impressed with the number of cranes downtown right now? :rolleyes:

edit.

Thanks 6th Gen!

I'm impressed for being a midsized american city that hasent had cranes in a long time

just putting it into a worldwide perspective because I was amazed at first in Europe then I started to not even notice because they were everywhere

edit.

Thanks 6th Gen!

I think it's exciting even being able to have Grand Rapids compare on some level with a more world famous city like Stuttgart.

It would be neat if one of the news publicatioans (hint hint) did a interactive section to their website complete with graphics, texts, camera interviews, photo stories documenting the construction of the new buildings downtown. Kind of a like doing a National Geograpgic.

I like this section:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/special...1&cset=true

It would be neat if one of the news publicatioans (hint hint) did a interactive section to their website complete with graphics, texts, camera interviews, photo stories documenting the construction of the new buildings downtown. Kind of a like doing a National Geograpgic.

I like this section:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/special...1&cset=true

I do like the way the combined the audio with a slide show as opposed to doing a straight video.

Registering for a news site is always annoying, though.

I do like the way the combined the audio with a slide show as opposed to doing a straight video.

Registering for a news site is always annoying, though.

Yah, that is a great presentation. I didn't bother signing up, I was just intrigued by the photo display through the Flash player combined with the audio interview. The sounds of the construction below really created a nice ambience.

Hmmm...you guys bring up some interesting ideas. Here's what I'm thinking...

This fall, the Michigan Association of Planning is having their annual conference in Detroit this year. The faculty at Wayne State are trying to get students involved since it provides great opportunity to explore and unveil urban progression in Michigan cities. I'm wondering...if I decide to write an article, or add some way to the program, if it would be possible to discuss the investment and building boom in Grand Rapids and how it compares to other cities of similar and greater size.

If not at the conference, then I'm thinking of even doing a report in an Urban Planning Newsletter that the dean is asking students to think of contributions for. I think it would be an interesting topic especially since WSU Planning students are so ingrained in Detroit-related planning issues.

I'll let you know what I come up with, if anything.

This fall, the Michigan Association of Planning is having their annual conference in Detroit this year. The faculty at Wayne State are trying to get students involved since it provides great opportunity to explore and unveil urban progression in Michigan cities. I'm wondering...if I decide to write an article, or add some way to the program, if it would be possible to discuss the investment and building boom in Grand Rapids and how it compares to other cities of similar and greater size.

If not at the conference, then I'm thinking of even doing a report in an Urban Planning Newsletter that the dean is asking students to think of contributions for. I think it would be an interesting topic especially since WSU Planning students are so ingrained in Detroit-related planning issues.

That would be great! Let us know if you need any help Michi!

Having attended many planning conferences, might I suggest a slideshow? Perhaps it could be part of the WSU display, or on a table from one of the consultant companies. You could include lots & lots of photos off here, plus historical ones taken from similar angles.

[too many lectures in college the first time...can't learn from talking heads]

lol...I know what you mean, Veloise. I would definately use you guys as a resource if I do plan on coming up with something. I would also like to visit Grand Rapids one more time before the end of the summer, so maybe a little inside tour from you all would help boost my knowledge and awareness as well. That would be fun! :)

That's a great idea Michi. I've been to the last few conferences (GR, then Mackinac). Shoot me a message if you want some ideas.

This is a bit sidebar, but a colleague and I just spent 6 hours driving back from Toronto during which we could not figure out how these cranes get "taller" as a building is constructed. So I'm hopeful that a crane fanatic here at UP might have the answer.

So... how do they increase the height of a crane as the project proceeds? Do they insert new sections from the bottom? Do they add more sections at the top? How??? It's not like they can simply pluck the whole top off it and stick another piece in the tower and then plop the top back down. Of course, I know in some cases they simply build the crane at its full height from the start - but I know I've seen cases where the crane gets taller as the bldg gets taller.

I suppose I could go dig around the web and get an answer, but I'm thinking I'm more likely to receive replies in layman's terms here. Anyone watched a crane long enough to have the answer to this one?

Archived