North Charleston

tharson

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The feel I get is that the further north you are, the better it is. However, they are working on the Noisette plan which should revitalize the old navy base and the area around it, including old North Charleston... so that may be worth an investment? I'll differ to the locals knowledge on that one though :)

North Charleston really just depends on where you are. I think that Dorchester County and Northwoods areas of North Charleston are the better areas... Alot of people who do work at the AFB live in Goose Creek and Hanahan though....

I found stats that say crime rate is high but it doesn't specify where in north charleston so is there just a bad section of town to avoid and the rest of the area rather nice?

as posted earlier, in general the further North you go, generally the better. I live in Dorchester County, up Dorchester Road about 3 miles from the AFB. There are a lot of military families in the area. The schools in that area are some of the best inthe region (really in the state) so that plays a role. From the AFB south on Dorchester Road, you probably want to stay away from. Once you get past Montague (heading south and east) is where most of the "statistics" occur. Over on the Rivers Ave side, in general, I 'd stay in the vicinity of Northwoods Mall.

There are revitalization efforts underway. And the Park Circle area of old North Charleston is really coming back. That will only improve once Noisette really takes off. The Magnolia project should bring revitalization to the southern end of North Chuck where it connects with the "Neck" of Charleston.

It depends on what you are looking for. The northern areas are safer, more suburban, and newer. They are closer to the shopping malls and such. The southern most sections are not ready for prime time. However the Park Circle and "Olde North Charleston" sections are the best investments. Older homes with character, the new riverfront park, the E. Montague streetscaping project completed, Noisette and other private developments are breaking ground etc. People moving to this area are somewhat younger and, for lack of a better term, a little more avant garde. However if you have kids and you actually care about them you don't send them to the public schools here. :(

As far as crime is concerned in North Charleston the situation is much like it is in Charleston. The vast majority of it is poor on poor, drug related, familial, or some combination thereof. If you don't go into particular neighborhoods (and you only would if you were looking for trouble anyway) then you will be fine.

As far as crime is concerned in North Charleston the situation is much like it is in Charleston. The vast majority of it is poor on poor, drug related, familial, or some combination thereof. If you don't go into particular neighborhoods (and you only would if you were looking for trouble anyway) then you will be fine.

The biggest difference between the north city and Chas crime situations is that Chas does usually have a better response and more effective police department. For almost a decade, the north city has been the dumping ground where most of the lower income residents who lived in DT areas and who have been forced out of DT due to higher property costs have moved to old and dilapidated housing areas. The crime that used to occur DT now occurs in the north area.

In 5-10 years, the Noisette and Magnolia projects will start to revitalize the Neck and the lower north area, thereby connecting both cities. Right now, the best parts to live in the north area are the places mentioned in earlier posts. However, Park Circle and the areas around North Rhett are starting to be infused with young couples and families. It would be a wise investment to consider living there.

• 2 weeks later...

In 5-10 years, the Noisette and Magnolia projects will start to revitalize the Neck and the lower north area, thereby connecting both cities. Right now, the best parts to live in the north area are the places mentioned in earlier posts. However, Park Circle and the areas around North Rhett are starting to be infused with young couples and families. It would be a wise investment to consider living there.

well it sounds as if the Noisette and Magnolia projects are going to be good things for charleston. do you think that both north charleston and charleston will become one metropolis.

If you drive on the interstate, the cities already blend seamlessly. What we're talking about with Noisette and Magnolia is that the urban, walkable, dense... what-have-you... parts of the cities will be connected. This will only matter if you live near Park Circle in N. Chas. If you live further north, you'll still have to drive pretty far to get anywhere, and Noisette and Magnolia will probably have very little effect on your daily life. Basically your choices in N. Chas. are to live near Park Circle and wait awhile to (hopefully) be part of the urban core of Charleston or to live in the upper part of N. Chas. in fairly nice, unremarkable suburban neighborhoods.

well it sounds as if the Noisette and Magnolia projects are going to be good things for charleston. do you think that both north charleston and charleston will become one metropolis.

I sincerely hope so! One of my dreams for my hometown is for Chas and N. Chas to merge into one city. I think with the advent of the Magnolia and Noisette projects becoming realities, both cities will find it extremely advantageous to consolidate their services and boundaries into one municipality of Chas. The key question is: will most N. Chas residents support it? There are still old residents of the N. Chas PSD who are still bitter towards Chas and still live in the north city. They helped incorporate the north city in the first place. Their votes will be essential. I think most new residents of the north area acknowledge that they live in Chas and even have their addresses reflecting that. Some of my best friends are moving into the Park Circle and N. Rhett areas, so I hope they would like the idea.

If you drive on the interstate, the cities already blend seamlessly. What we're talking about with Noisette and Magnolia is that the urban, walkable, dense... what-have-you... parts of the cities will be connected. This will only matter if you live near Park Circle in N. Chas. If you live further north, you'll still have to drive pretty far to get anywhere, and Noisette and Magnolia will probably have very little effect on your daily life. Basically your choices in N. Chas. are to live near Park Circle and wait awhile to (hopefully) be part of the urban core of Charleston or to live in the upper part of N. Chas. in fairly nice, unremarkable suburban neighborhoods.

Unremarkable?? I'd be curious to know what make a neighborhood remarkable?? Or would you consider any suburban neighborhood "unremarkable"

• 2 weeks later...

I sincerely hope so! One of my dreams for my hometown is for Chas and N. Chas to merge into one city. I think with the advent of the Magnolia and Noisette projects becoming realities, both cities will find it extremely advantageous to consolidate their services and boundaries into one municipality of Chas. The key question is: will most N. Chas residents support it? There are still old residents of the N. Chas PSD who are still bitter towards Chas and still live in the north city. They helped incorporate the north city in the first place. Their votes will be essential. I think most new residents of the north area acknowledge that they live in Chas and even have their addresses reflecting that. Some of my best friends are moving into the Park Circle and N. Rhett areas, so I hope they would like the idea.

I don't know about this. The "north area" was the dumping ground for the city of Charleston for years. Most people I talk to, especially newcomers to the Park Circle area, see themselves as North Charleston residents.

I can see where newcomers would identify themselves as residents of "North Charleston," but as they become "assimilated," if you will, in time they will begin to primarily see themselves as part of the Greater Charleston area and say "I'm from Charleston." Usually the people that I know that have been in North Charleston for some time say they're from Charleston when asked where they're from. When I ask, "What part?," that's when they'll say "North Charleston."

I don't know about this. The "north area" was the dumping ground for the city of Charleston for years. Most people I talk to, especially newcomers to the Park Circle area, see themselves as North Charleston residents.

Krazee pretty much summed up what I was going to say, but there is something to consider. I think some residents are misled in where they live and what their address should be because many of the real estate companies in the Chas area are inconsistent in detailing different locations in the area. They'll highlight properties on Daniel Island and James Island (which are in the city of Chas for the most part) as being separate cities, yet some properties in parts of N. Chas are reported as being in Chas.

There needs to be leadership in the area which gives correct information to all of the residents moving to Chas. As far as the north city, many businesses and people already acknowledge themselves as being in Chas, even on their addresses. I think it will only be a matter of time before many residents start asking: "Why are Chas and N. Chas separate? Wouldn't it make more sense for them to be one city since they practically are anyway?"

Archived