Constition College? Space Needle? Marriott?

JimSawhill

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha, 2 of those 3 are my own creations for my future Hartford-perfect, meaning Constitution College and the Space Needle don't exist except in my fantasy world.

Here's my basis behind the two: First, Constitution College. Constitution Plaza is seen as a white elephant, no residential, dead after 5PM, expansive, barren. If the Plaza could be changed over to a college (not a day college like Capitol Community, but a dorm-having, kids-hanging-out, people-mulling-about college), it would be a perfect fit, in my opinion. It's set up great for that purpose, large open area where kids could walk, talk, hang out, throw things at each other, jump in the fountain, etc. The old rotting Clarion hotel could become the first dorms, with one of the other towers changed over to dorms also. Other dorms could be sprouted around downtown, maybe some more kids in the Sage-Allen (when done). Business' will sprout up: bars, book stores, coffee shops, eateries, clothing shops. They've been trying to get business' below the Morgan Street Garage for years, well, that would be a perfect spot in this scenario. It would really liven up the place, get foot traffic (more importantly, 24-hr foot traffic), and improve the vibe of that area.

Second, the Space Needle: I proposed creating a Space Needle on the parcel of land at the corner of Broad and Farmington Ave (across the highway from the Capitol). The closest Space Needle-type structure is in either Niagara Falls, or Quebec City, neither NYC nor Boston have one, so it will be unique for the area. It would be a new draw (which we need), it would be distinctive in the skyline, and it would bridge the area between the Civic Center/Wadsworth/downtown to the Mark Twain/Harriett Beecher Stowe houses (currently nothing touristy of note between the two). Nice rotating restaurant, awesome view of downtown, the river, the western hills, and even Springfield. Maybe even build a hotel near there (plenty of room behind the YWCA, next to the Hartford Courant @ Broad/Cap. Ave, or on Flower Street. It would expand downtown's footprint, and generate more foot traffic to non-traditional touristy areas.

I haven't brought them up in a while since we've already talked about them in-depth. Mayor Perez is probably going to put a Magnet School in my Space Needle spot, which is a crappy use of that space, IMHO, but like everyone else here, I just don't have the background, or the billions to do anything about my vision other than rail about them on a message board. I really wish someone in power in Hartford would read this friggin' forum.

Oh, and the Marriott is the new hotel adjacent to the Convention Center. I had the pleasure of working in there 2 weeks ago, it's really, really nice...

Haha, 2 of those 3 are my own creations for my future Hartford-perfect, meaning Constitution College and the Space Needle don't exist except in my fantasy world.

Here's my basis behind the two: First, Constitution College. Constitution Plaza is seen as a white elephant, no residential, dead after 5PM, expansive, barren. If the Plaza could be changed over to a college (not a day college like Capitol Community, but a dorm-having, kids-hanging-out, people-mulling-about college), it would be a perfect fit, in my opinion. It's set up great for that purpose, large open area where kids could walk, talk, hang out, throw things at each other, jump in the fountain, etc. The old rotting Clarion hotel could become the first dorms, with one of the other towers changed over to dorms also. Other dorms could be sprouted around downtown, maybe some more kids in the Sage-Allen (when done). Business' will sprout up: bars, book stores, coffee shops, eateries, clothing shops. They've been trying to get business' below the Morgan Street Garage for years, well, that would be a perfect spot in this scenario. It would really liven up the place, get foot traffic (more importantly, 24-hr foot traffic), and improve the vibe of that area.

Second, the Space Needle: I proposed creating a Space Needle on the parcel of land at the corner of Broad and Farmington Ave (across the highway from the Capitol). The closest Space Needle-type structure is in either Niagara Falls, or Quebec City, neither NYC nor Boston have one, so it will be unique for the area. It would be a new draw (which we need), it would be distinctive in the skyline, and it would bridge the area between the Civic Center/Wadsworth/downtown to the Mark Twain/Harriett Beecher Stowe houses (currently nothing touristy of note between the two). Nice rotating restaurant, awesome view of downtown, the river, the western hills, and even Springfield. Maybe even build a hotel near there (plenty of room behind the YWCA, next to the Hartford Courant @ Broad/Cap. Ave, or on Flower Street. It would expand downtown's footprint, and generate more foot traffic to non-traditional touristy areas.

I haven't brought them up in a while since we've already talked about them in-depth. Mayor Perez is probably going to put a Magnet School in my Space Needle spot, which is a crappy use of that space, IMHO, but like everyone else here, I just don't have the background, or the billions to do anything about my vision other than rail about them on a message board. I really wish someone in power in Hartford would read this friggin' forum.

Oh, and the Marriott is the new hotel adjacent to the Convention Center. I had the pleasure of working in there 2 weeks ago, it's really, really nice...

MadVlad:

Thanks for the clarification. Consitution College (CC) would be a great idea, but I guess the state would name it North Central Connectcut State University. However, I'd love to see CC/NCCSU have degrees in important degrees --- including Naval Architecture (It would be wonderful to have a university in Connecticut offering Naval Architecture, because of our history in boat building (and insurance, since it was about SHIPPING FREIGHT down the Connecticut.).

Maybe CC/NCCSU could have an AEROSPACE SCHOOl (like Emery-Riddle in Florida). :)

The Space Needle Idea is cool..I like that idea.

Jim

Really interesting idea, but wouldn't the rambunctious college students clash with the conservative insurance workers?

Also, I think the area would need some work to make it attractive to a college crowd. The convention center is great, but it isn't exactly a big draw for prospective college students.

Really interesting idea, but wouldn't the rambunctious college students clash with the conservative insurance workers?

Also, I think the area would need some work to make it attractive to a college crowd. The convention center is great, but it isn't exactly a big draw for prospective college students.

That's what Front Street is for..............

Carter:

I believe Consitution Plaza into a college would be a great idea. I still think the college should have AERONAUCTICAL Studies, Naval Architecture and Architecture studies.

JimS

Could someone tell me a little more about Front Street - my understanding is its a retail/entertainment district designed to "liven up" this area of the city. Is that right? Is it under construction? Just how big is it? Any highrises?

Thanks!

You're pretty much right on target. It's a 4 acre parcel directly across from the Convention Center that is supposed to be developed into a mix of retail/entertainment and housing. The last I heard the plans are still calling for up to 200 apartments/condos with about 150,000 sq. ft. of retail/entertainment space. ESPN has shown interest in opening up some sort of "attraction" at Front Street, but no one knows what it might entail (and at this point, if it's even part of the plans anymore). Lastly, as of March, the plans call for 3 or 4 seperate buildings on the site, of various heights, one of which is to be a "highrise" (probably something in the 20-25 story range).

Despite all this, we're still waiting for the release of renderings/schedule for construction.

The Marriott Hartford Hotel Downtown and the Connecticut Convention Center from Constitution Plaza

IMG_0579.jpg

Marriott Hotel still under construction last year

IMG_0284.jpg

Crush Lounge at the Marriott

IMG_0763.jpg

Lobby of the Marriott

IMG_0758.jpg

Constitution Plaza

IMG_0586.jpg

IMG_0574.jpg

Constitution Plaza is larger, and nicer looking than I thought. For some reason, I had the idea of an almost entirely concrete plaza. I think the last time I was actually there was when I was 6 or 7, for an event called The Taste of Hartford. Great event, I won a shirt there for making a putt-putt hole in one and that just about made my year. Very good memories of it. Do they still hold this event?

The last year of the Taste of Hartford was in the summer of 2004, to the best of my knowledge. The word from the organizers was that it had been going for a long time, and it had run its course. There was talk about moving the Taste across the river to downtown East Hartford, but I don't think anything ever materialized.

The last year of the Taste of Hartford was in the summer of 2004, to the best of my knowledge. The word from the organizers was that it had been going for a long time, and it had run its course. There was talk about moving the Taste across the river to downtown East Hartford, but I don't think anything ever materialized.

Well it was in East Hartford for 2005 and was a major downgrade from the real Taste of Hartford.

Archived