Alive after Five vs. Downtown Live

dombalis

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the NandO April 16, they had a section on outdoor activities, and, basically, it's gonna be either on Johnson or Tucker street, between Glenwood and West. I'm sure it'll be Johnson. Thanks to Bellsouth, unfortunately, Fay. St. isn't an option this summer.

It depends on what you want... AA5 is just one band, two or three sets, and usually a cover band that will play crowd favorites. It is on a Thursday after work, to start the weekend.

Downtown Live is an all day thing, although few people show up for the earlier bands. Each band plays for about 45 minutes, and the bands (at least last year) were "where are they now" bands like Violent Femmes, Naughty By Nature, etc. They also take place on Saturday, so people have to choose Raleigh Alive vs. normal weekend activities.

I hope people figure out where AA5 moves to, but who knows. Parking in Glenwood South will be different than Fayetville, but the area has hosted such events in the past, outside Hi 5 and Capital Fitness has hosted concerts with Connells and Cracker on seperate occasions.

I went to Alive After Five a few times after being coerced by some friends back in 2000 or 2001. I can't say I really enjoyed myself much... I saw a lot of Budweiser and Coors, and the music really wasn't my favorite. :D

Has it changed much over the last couple of years? I haven't been those times in 2000/2001.

Does anyone know where the AA5 info is? I can't seem to find it. I have always wanted to go, but I work in the park and its relatively inconvenient for me. I would like to try it out some Thursday though.

I have been to the Downtown Live a couple of times and have always had a great time. The city really needs to do a better job advertising both events.

the great thing about aa5, what that it was what it says it was. a party after work on a thursday night. no one had huge expectations, but a chance to go out on a nice night and hear some live music with friends while downing a few beers that didn't cost you any money since you were allowed to bring your own. it was a lot of fun, and i hope that it will come back one day. i always loved the setting of aa5, right there at hanover square, one really felt like they were in a big city when they were there. in fact, aa5 was the only reason i ever went downtown, until i started working downtown.

glenwood south sucks by the way for aa5, poor choice for relocating the event. it should be kept downtown somewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

I spoke to someone at HI-5, and they have a two-year lease on Alive after 5, and they're trying to get a TWENTY YEAR LEASE!!! :angry:

Oh, yeah, and the coolers are no longer allowed. You now have to buy the over-priced beer that they sell at the event. By the way, here's the link for Alive after 5's schedule: Alive after Five

I really think we should offer our feedback to the powers that be on this one. The guy in charge is Brian Alexander, and his email address is [email protected]. As i stated on the other thread I've started on this topic, we don't want this event turned into some overpriced, trendy, Pirate-of-the-Carribean horses%$t event.

Archived