The Metro

sonofaque86

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am from Greenville, and have never heard Columbia referred to as "the metro." I have only heard "Capital City," "Cola," and "armpit of the south."

I have never heard Greenville referred to as the "G-spot." I have definitely heard it called "G-vegas" as well as "G-ville." And as far as airport codes go, the upstate metro is definitely called GSP quite frequently.

I am from Greenville, and have never heard Columbia referred to as "the metro." I have only heard "Capital City," "Cola," and "armpit of the south."

I have never heard Greenville referred to as the "G-spot." I have definitely heard it called "G-vegas" as well as "G-ville." And as far as airport codes go, the upstate metro is definitely called GSP quite frequently.

"Armpit of the south?" :sick:

I've heard that as well, but I don't like it at all. The new development taking place in the city center has completely changed my former perception of the area. Things are definitely looking good these days and I would call several other Southern cities that name before calling Columbia that.

As I've heard it explained, that designation comes from the fact that it can get pretty hot and humid in Columbia. But still, that designation doesn't convey THAT thought, it conveys the image of a backwoods, unprogressive place intent on going nowhere and doing nothing--something that Columbia has more recently been intent on proving that it absolutely is NOT.

The only major charcter flaw with Columbia is that it is so ungodly HOT in the summer. Its something you learn to live with anywhere in the South though... but I would not call it the armpit of the south. That is definately Gastonia, NC.

The only major charcter flaw with Columbia is that it is so ungodly HOT in the summer. Its something you learn to live with anywhere in the South though... but I would not call it the armpit of the south. That is definately Gastonia, NC.

I was thinking perhaps Macon, GA?

Macon is alright. Its a little slow on the uptake with the urban renaissance that seems to be happening everywhere else. It has a corrupt government from what I understand.

It has nothing on Gastonia though.

Other than the Masters, Disgusta, Ga. doesn't have a whole lot going for it.

Augusta's biggest hang-up is the corrupt local government. Besides the Masters, Augusta has a few things working in its favor, such as the Medical College of Georgia and Fort Gordon. In those respects, it's not too much different from Columbia as far as traditional economic foundations are concerned--and both were textile giants back in the day.

I think I'm going to stick with Gastonia on this one, unless I come up with a better example.

^ Thats true. Augusta used to be Georgia's capital as well. Columbia has retained that status though.

Ok, so Macon and Augusta have corrupt governments... you can add Albany to that list. What other cities are corrupt? Hopefully not Savannah...

I have heard that Fayetteville, NC is crappy and boring. Basically a military town with nothing to do. That sounds a lot worse than Gastonia, NC to me, although I have never been to Gastonia other than to eat at a few restaurants of theirs along I-85..

You're right, I've driven through Fayetteville and it has to be the ugliest city in the country. Their downtown is DEAD, even on a weekeday.

^ Thats true. Augusta used to be Georgia's capital as well. Columbia has retained that status though.

Ok, so Macon and Augusta have corrupt governments... you can add Albany to that list. What other cities are corrupt? Hopefully not Savannah...

Atlanta did have a corrupt mayor when that other dude was mayor (forget his name). But my girl Shirley Franklin has done a great job into turning that mess into a miracle.

Any cities in SC known for having a corrupt government at any point in time?

I have heard that Fayetteville, NC is crappy and boring. Basically a military town with nothing to do. That sounds a lot worse than Gastonia, NC to me, although I have never been to Gastonia other than to eat at a few restaurants of theirs along I-85..

I've heard the same thing about Fayetteville, but since I've never actually been there myself, I didn't mention it. However, some of the pictures I've seen of the downtown area were rather nice.

Archived