Louisiana Weather

richyb83

Wow! What a raw Wintry day yesterday; It was hard to believe BR(my place EBR) got at least 2.5" of rain! And temps in the lower 40's dipping into the upper 30's by later in the afternoon! Northern La. looked like they had a mix of frozen precip earlier in the day with high temps. only 33/34...

It's warmed up to 51 here; still no sunshine.

More rain on the way Tuesday(same system?? effecting California with flooding & mudslides); and again on Thursday.

I guess we are building up the water table now before some drier Spring/Summer months arrive?? The ground is a sponge; we have had roughly 6" or more of rain so far in January.

Maybe some sleet around here near Valentine Day??ha

It warmed up nicely here today as well. Was nice to enjoy the "Mardi Paw" parade in the mid-day warmth without a jacket for a change. And the nice warm weather, coupled with partly cloudy skies, made for a great day to get out and make some money taking photos. Yesterday, by comparison, was total crap.

Yeah Brian the weather here is really been erratic. Spring one day; Winter the next. We have a 1-2 punch of storm systems coming thru(Tues. & Thurs.) with crystal clear blue, cool, dry weather wedged in between Monday & Today. Hard to believe how it could be so clear/dry one day & so stormy the next.

Edited by richyb83

Crazy weather here today! BR broke the record high for the date at 84; and winds are gusting up to 35 mph!

Been nice and warm here as well but that's about to change. The winds have begun blowing in and it's raining a bit. It's supposed to start storming really bad late this afternoon. My drive home sucks as it is, with this year-long construction out near my house. Last night it took me about 30 minutes longer because of a huge wreck... and it wasn't even raining. I'm in for such a treat tonight, I can already tell.

Just a reminder how serious the weather can be. It's was a miracle to find the little 11 month old baby boy alive 100 yards from his shredded house. Unfortunately 57 were killed by the twisters.

http://batonrouge.cox.net/cci/newsnational...validatearticle

The twisters killed 32 people in Tennessee, 13 in Arkansas, seven in Kentucky and five in Alabama, emergency officials said. It was one of the 15 worst tornado death tolls since 1950, and the nation's deadliest barrage of tornadoes since 76 people were killed in Pennsylvania and Ohio on May 31, 1985.

After a string of beautiful days (6?) in our area.... a 90% chance of rain for Tuesday. Already Severe T-Storm watches for the Ark-La-Tex this evening. Then cooler weather returns behind the front for Wed. & Thurs. before more stormy weather returns before the weekend??

BR recorded 9" of rain last month; 8th Wettest January in 78 years

Yes indeed Richy, that was some very bad stuff; especially in Greater New Orleans, where there was a tornado down in Terrytown, and major swaths of power outages in Saint Tammany. From what I heard on the radio, the storms moved into Baton Rouge carrying little more than heavy rain, and moved out carrying extremely dangerous winds and tons of lightning. Weather is a weird thing, aint it? :dontknow:

Yes it sure is Nate! Nice observation. Baton Rouge was in the middle of the collision-zone between the upper-level low coming from the NW and the strong moist southerly-flow from the Gulf.

That afternoon at my baby's day care in west Livington(north of Walker), they actually moved all of them to the hallways in the middle of the building as a precaution. The tornado siren was going off nearby in the small community of Watson (north of DS). Thankfully everything was O.K. The tornadoes were probably no more than 15-20 miles away.

• 3 weeks later...

Typical March scenario. A "clash" of the seasons. Just label this "Spring" Storm #1. Since Thursday they have been talking about this storm while it was still out in the Pacific; and even as early as Friday Special Weather statements were already being made for the viewing region.

Most of the state in the moderate risk zone for chances of severe weather and tornadoes on Monday. The dynamic storm sytsem is expected to pass thru the entire state by late Monday Night.

Tuesday should be cold on the back-side. Possible snow-showers in SBC with a low of 33 Tues. morning.

The system blew thru the Rocky Mountain West yesterday; temps in Denver went from the 70's Sat. to only the 20's Sunday!

Edited by richyb83

It's been snowing here in Shreveport-Bossier all day, which is quite different for this region! It stuck a little bit here at my office before stopping for a short while, but it's back to snowing steadily. In Bossier and north Shreveport they supposedly have a nice accumulation going on. On days when it snows like this I always hate working in south Shreveport, because we always get much less than the north Shreveport/downtown areas do.

Edit: let me just add that Haughton looks like a Winter Wonderland! Everything is white in Haughton. :) Down here in south Shreveport, though, it's still melting as soon as it touches the ground. Amazing what a difference only 20+ miles makes!

Edited by SBCmetroguy

It's been snowing here in Shreveport-Bossier all day, which is quite different for this region! It stuck a little bit here at my office before stopping for a short while, but it's back to snowing steadily. In Bossier and north Shreveport they supposedly have a nice accumulation going on. On days when it snows like this I always hate working in south Shreveport, because we always get much less than the north Shreveport/downtown areas do.

Its snowing here in Ruston also !!!!!!! Its sticking to the lawns and and trees like crazy, but lucckily not to the streets because unfortunately around here class isn't cancelled <_< . Its been years since I've seen snow and that was when it snowed in Baton Rouge on New Years Eve and I must say that I've never seen it like this before. REAL SNOW :yahoo:

Its snowing here in Ruston also !!!!!!! Its sticking to the lawns and and trees like crazy, but lucckily not to the streets because unfortunately around here class isn't cancelled <_< . Its been years since I've seen snow and that was when it snowed in Baton Rouge on New Years Eve and I must say that I've never seen it like this before. REAL SNOW :yahoo:

How weird, you were posting this as I was adding to my last post! :)

Even up here in north Louisiana we normally get screwed out of snow... but today is quite different. South Shreveport still sucks, though... nothing is sticking down here. Ugh!

How weird, you were posting this as I was adding to my last post! :)

Even up here in north Louisiana we normally get screwed out of snow... but today is quite different. South Shreveport still sucks, though... nothing is sticking down here. Ugh!

Yeah, I was in west Shreveport and Bossier today and it rained most of the time I was out there. There was no snow on the ground either. As for Haughton, it has done nothing but snow here today! It JUST stopped! Check out this picture of the houses down my street.:shok:

post-14008-1204925645_thumb.jpg

Edited by jcasey

I was seeing this snow on the radar earlier. They said the SBC area would get 1-2" of slushy snow. I'm jealous! Glad to see yall enjoying the Winter Wonderland@! Yall just missed the snow earlier in the week(post #811).

Nice pic jcasey.

It's raw down here in BR. The temps have fallen to 43 this afternoon with some drizzle. Brian thinks his area gets scre*ed out of snow :rolleyes: Welcome to my world :lol:

This is a cold pool of air La. is in; much warmer in Texas(west); Alabama(east)

Edited by richyb83

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As Thunder-storms rolled thru here at the house in BR I got 1.25 inches of rain yesterday evening(total of 2.35 for week). Thankfully nothing severe like the Little Rock area(Thurs. nite) and Jackson MS area were they recieved reports of tornados.

Edited by richyb83

One-Word to describe yesterday's Severe T-Storm...."INSANE"!!!! Quarter-sized HAIL here at the house on and off for at least an hour!!!!! High winds and torrential downpours reminiscent of Hurricane Rita. Here at the house in eastern section in BR I got 3.25" inches of rain with streets flooded. Meanwhile downtown BR & the LSU area did not recieve a rain drop!

We are all used to seeing the radar colors being green(lighter); yellow, orange and red(very heavy)..but this storm turned "purple"...then a milky colored cell inside!!! Some people reported baseball-sized hail near I-12/Airline (Hwy.190) busting car-wind shields and going thru windows in houses. They said this was the worst BR Hail Outbreak since 1980. Traffic actually stopped on I-12!!!

The severe storm was isolated and was very slow moving and seemed to have a pulse. Just when you thought the worst was over there would be more hail bouncing the water of the flooded street.

The high temp reached 90 degrees in BR for the 1st time this season.

Edited by richyb83

That was monster of a storm. We were tracking storms in St. Tammany with quarter size hail, and after zooming out to see the remainder of the P/CWA saw the cell blowing up over SE BR. We got reports of 2.5" diamater hail from a spotter at Old Hammond Hwy. and Airline Rd. It was the perfect setup for hail yesterday with a high potential for strong...long lived updrafts. Lapse rates were insane with 90/-12 between the surface and 500mb. Dry air aloft allowed for a cap to remain in place through the peak heating hours. Around sunset...there was just enough cooling aloft to weaken the cap...and allow for the explosive development.

A good rule of thumb down here in the summer is...if you northerly flow aloft and southerly flow at the surface...you have a good likelihood of seeing strong thunderstorms. The sounding usually looks like an hourglass...just as it did on Tuesday.

• 2 weeks later...

One hell of a night/morning around SE Louisiana in terms of weather. Right now there is quite a bit of heavy rain in Baton Rouge, and check out this band of storms that is moving through the southern portion of the New Orleans metro. The heavy rain stretches all the way from Morgan City to Mobile. There was also about 3 solid hours of heavy rain in Tangipahoa and western Saint Tammany last night.

dop640.jpg

Yes indeed Nate; that was an impressive line of Thunderstorms. It woke everyone up around here early this morning. Got about 2 inches of rain.

That rainfall last night was insane in the Florida Parishes! The town of Independence recorded 8 or 10" inches of rain??? WOW!!!

That map is very depressing. Just look at SE coastal Louisiana vanishing; the delta looks so puny.

Edited by richyb83

• 2 weeks later...

^^ Hey Richy, we're right there at 10+ inches of rain now since yesterday. We had record rainfall yesterday in a 1-hour period. On top of all this, even though we're supposed to get a break sometime this afternoon, more rain is supposed move in. From what I just read it's supposed to start raining again tonight and soak us all day again tomorrow. Funny thing, the Red River really just started to go down before yesterday. And we only THOUGHT it was high before. This is insane. By tonight we could have recorded over 1 foot of rain in the city of Shreveport alone.

I know at lunch, I heard on the radio that the intersection of Mansfield Road and Old Mansfield Road in Shreveport has over 6' of water standing in it. Over SIX FEET of water!! Last night cars literally were floating away from homes, stores, apartments, etc. A lot of vehicles in the Mall St. Vincent parking lot last night were literally washed away, and a good number of them still hadn't been found as of this morning. One woman's Porsche was washed away from her apartment, and when it was found it was flooded out (obviously) and beat to hell and back. Even one of my coworkers had her truck get flooded out and then someone came by and robbed everything out of it.

Edited by SBCmetroguy