Louisiana Weather

richyb83

^ Still setting/tied records the last few days in the lower 80's; plain ridiculous! At least the weekend is supposed to start feeling more like December! Maybe a light freeze?? Sunday or Monday morning??

It was 82 in BR today; and only 33 in Oklahoma City.

The colder air is already moving thru the SBC area tonight.

The cold front from Canada is finally rolling through. It brought some heavy showers to the New Orleans area, and I'm sure Baton Rouge as well. Hopefully the cold air sticks around for Christmas...it would be kind of weird opening presents on Christmas Day and then going out back for a swim. ;)

You ain't kiddin'. Christmas and cold weather are supposed to go together. Maybe SlidellWX can give us a long range outlook??

The chill down was on tonight! The wind sure was nasty swirling around the taller buildings just a couple of blocks off the river! I know that wind in NOLA coming off the lake(and river) can be nasty too.

We had a brief downpour; generally less than a 1/4".

Low around 30 Monday morning in BR.

Edited by richyb83

Sounds good to me! Thanks SlidellWX! Cool and crisp! Before the front passes we are supposed to see 70's Thurs? Friday?? Sat??...I wish the weather would make up it's mind :rolleyes:

The lake kept the temps warmer in NOLA this morning; low of 40. In BR the low was 29 and 25 in McComb!

They say the average high/low temps for the date in BR are 63-64....42??? What is typically known as the coldest date?? Somewhere in mid-January I'm sure.

• 2 weeks later...

What an active/interesting weather pattern the region has been in! Seems like for over a week we have had a storm system race on thru here almost every-other day! One clear day; then a stormy day. Yesterday there was a report of a tornado near Houma; and Brookhaven MS last week. Another system is forecast to move thru on Friday; and yet another by Sunday!

Possibly the strongest Artic blast so far this Winter to move thru by next Wednesday?? How far south will the hard freezes reach??

Edited by richyb83

^ You are right Brian, unless it snows, it's almost a waste of cold weather :lol: Don't think someone from the south like me would last very long in a Chi-town Winter season. All I ever ask for is one snow event per year; but around here that's asking for too much <_<

Looks like DFW could have had some flurries earlier today???

It was extremely cold these last few days in New Orleans. So cold in fact that the Ohio State football team was forced to move from an outdoor practice field at Tulane to the Saints indoor training facility. You'd think they were used to this kind of stuff! ;)

Still, the weather has been nice, blue skies and sunny days, so it makes the cold temperatures a bit more easier to deal with.

Hey slidellWX?? With low temps. Wed. night in the mid-30's and a 40% of rain in BR; I was wondering if the precip could be mixed with some sleet later that night?? A developing Low Pressure is supposed to move across the northern Gulf as you already know.

We rarely get any Wintry precip; so if I think there is even a 10% chance I get excited :yahoo:

Overall...a nice rain event for the area. We had some winds get up around 45 mph down in Plaquemines Parish, but the Gulf was rocking yesterday. We had seas of 26 feet about 180 miles offshore at a rig and 15 foot seas closer to shore about 80 miles south of Dauphin Island. An 84 mph wind gust was also reported by a ship about 180 miles off the mouth of the Mississippi River. Fortunately, the whole event lasted only 12 hours...so tides did not get as high as they could have. This was good news for towns like Grand Isle and Lafitte.

Thanks for those impressive stats slidellWX :thumbsup: That sounds like a Tropical Storm in the middle of January :wacko: I was hoping for a little more wind up BR's way.

A few weeks back there was a Pacific storm that had the lowest millibars recorded in January.

Looks like the Polar Express is on it's way down South for the weekend!

Man is it gonna be cold for the Green Bay Packers game Sunday or what??? Kickoff temp. at 8 degrees and dropping!

Edited by richyb83

There was some freezing rain mix with snow flurries here in North Central Louisiana(Ruston), but it changed over to rain <_< . The weather channel says that it will change back over later this evening :yahoo: . I hope that we get some kind of accumulation on the ground here.

Over here in southeast Shreveport it stayed steady sleet, and I was over in southwest Shreveport at lunch when I watched it change from rain to steady sleet. :) It's very nice to see.

I'd love to see Mother Nature surprise us up here like she did during the '00 Indy Bowl. We were expecting a few flurries, no accumulation, and BAM! 3-4 inches... it was awesome.

When I spoke to my wife a little while ago she said it was snowing "a lot" outside her office in downtown Shreveport. She has since told me that it stopped already.

Man I hate our weather in Louisiana sometimes! If it's going to snow it needs to just do it and not tease us like that.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

WOW! Thanks yall for the update! Interesting Winter weather set-up developing!!!! The cold air is coming from the north; a (another) low-pressure is cranking up in the western Gulf. Looks like the I-20 Corridor is caught-up in the cross-fire. The road conditions could get really tricky yalls way later tonight??

Is it snowing up there yet??

It's 36 in SBC; but it's 55 in BR. It's actually colder in SBC and much of Texas than in OKC(Sunny) where it's 48. Crazy!

Another inch of rain is forecast for the southern half of the state.

>>Ha, thanks Brian, you answered my question just before I posted.

Edited by richyb83

WOW! Thanks yall for the update! Interesting Winter weather set-up developing!!!! The cold air is coming from the north; a (another) low-pressure is cranking up in the western Gulf. Looks like the I-20 Corridor is caught-up in the cross-fire. The road conditions could get really tricky yalls way later tonight??

Is it snowing up there yet??

It's 36 in SBC; but it's 55 in BR. It's actually colder in SBC and much of Texas than in OKC(Sunny) where it's 48. Crazy!

Another inch of rain is forecast for the southern half of the state.

>>Ha, thanks Brian, you answered my question just before I posted.

Yes Richy, this IS crazy. It's supposed to get down to 32 here tonight so the roads could get messy... I'm sure I'll be hearing a lot about that on the TV tonight. They news people here kind of get crazy over things like that. I've thought it would actually be awesome to get stranded atop an overpass over I-20 in the ice, because that's the only chance I'll ever have to stop my car in the middle of an overpass and set up my camera/tripod to get some cool shots of the Shreveport skyline. I think I'm insane... lol

Oh and by the way, a few minutes ago it snowed a lot at my office, and just as quick as it came it was gone. It lasted maybe 10-20 minutes with no accumulation. It's still coming down steadily, just not as heavily as it was a few minutes ago.

I like that type of thinking Brian, spoken like a true urbanaholic! :lol: Taking advantage of some rare opportunities for skyline shots.

The snow-line made it as far south as 50 miles North of BR. The Feliciana's reported flurries.

For a system that was supposedly not as strong as last Tuesady's; we got 1.8" of rain. 3.3" for the week...so the ground has had more than enough.

Supposed to get down to 27 here tonight.

Edited by richyb83

Wow! What a raw Wintry day yesterday; It was hard to believe BR(my place EBR) got at least 2.5" of rain! And temps in the lower 40's dipping into the upper 30's by later in the afternoon! Northern La. looked like they had a mix of frozen precip earlier in the day with high temps. only 33/34...

It's warmed up to 51 here; still no sunshine.

More rain on the way Tuesday(same system?? effecting California with flooding & mudslides); and again on Thursday.

I guess we are building up the water table now before some drier Spring/Summer months arrive?? The ground is a sponge; we have had roughly 6" or more of rain so far in January.

Maybe some sleet around here near Valentine Day??ha

Edited by richyb83