Woodruff and 385

gs3

Noticed yesterday temporary flashing signs advising that work would begin on April 10th at the Woodruff and 385 interchange. Anybody know whats being done? Will this be an extended few months of headaches or something relatively quick?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ramps are undergoing resurfacing. The onramp to I-385 northbound is very rough. It will last a few weeks.

They are also adding a right hand turn lane on the 385 southbound/woodruff rd exit. Some people have already made a turn lane out of it, so the state is going to actually make it a lane. This should help with congestion on the exit.

They are also adding a right hand turn lane on the 385 southbound/woodruff rd exit. Some people have already made a turn lane out of it,
I see where you're talking about...it took a little while. The ad hoc turn lane is what clued me in.

This is the exit beside Lieu's and Fuddruckers. The exit onto Woodruff Rd. has two left turn lanes. Just about 2-3 car lengths from Woodruff, there's a right turn lane. That means once you get 2-3 cars in that rightmost left-turn lane, the right turn people are stuck with everyone else waiting on the lights to cycle through. Which is all the more maddening when the right turn lane is cleared out and there's a big lull in the traffic.

Sometimes I have to laugh because I make that right turn over 90% of the time from that exit and it's sort of amusing to see someone reach their boiling point and go 4-wheeling beside the off-ramp and fly into the right turn lane. The best one was one afternoon, just after school had let out, when a soccer mom driving a minivan with runningboards lost her patience. She did a "Streets of San Francisco" thing, pretty much launching her minivan into the air and I'm sure it's only in my mind's eye that I saw sparks flying. But her runningboard on the passenger side was destroyed. (Perhaps the driver side too.)

I bet it was her inevitable lawsuit against SCDOT that prompted this welcome development...!

The ramps are undergoing resurfacing. The onramp to I-385 northbound is very rough. It will last a few weeks.

They are also adding a right hand turn lane on the 385 southbound/woodruff rd exit. Some people have already made a turn lane out of it, so the state is going to actually make it a lane. This should help with congestion on the exit.

Thanks for the info guys. This is definitely needed.

While they are making cosmetic improvements at the interchange, resynchronizing the signals would be good. Stopping in the middle in the intersection during a greel light is dangerous and illegal.

So is stopping in the middle of an intersection during a red light. People are starting to "push the light" more and more along Woodruff Road and at the intersection of Pleasantburg and Poinsett Highway, too. :angry:

This is long overdue. I can't tell you how many times I've sat in the proper lane at that exit waiting for the light (or for cars to clear out of the intersection) only to have people pass me on the shoulder (usually in 4x4 trucks or SUVs). :angry:

This is long overdue. I can't tell you how many times I've sat in the proper lane at that exit waiting for the light (or for cars to clear out of the intersection) only to have people pass me on the shoulder (usually in 4x4 trucks or SUVs). :angry:

You won't have to deal with that anymore, as the barricades will prevent all but the most adventurous of drivers from using the shoulder. :D

While they are making cosmetic improvements at the interchange, resynchronizing the signals would be good. Stopping in the middle in the intersection during a greel light is dangerous and illegal.

Supposedly, Woodruff Road's traffic signals will be resynchronized sometime in the near-future. Maybe this is about to happen? :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived