Welcome!

NCB

• 3 months later...

^ Welcome to Urban Planet Trel-Ellis, glad to have you in the Baton Rouge forum :thumbsup: Your imput is welcome here; any updates on developments or opinions you want to share is appreciated too.

As you know Baton Rouge continues to do some serious growing all over the city. Esp. from Downtown, Mid-City and LSU; From Corporate Blvd. out to SE BR. NBR is begining to pick-up as well. Livingston and Ascension and even down toward St.Gabriel are at an all-time sprawl with tremendous growth!

I'll try to post a "updated round-up" of in BR Growth & Development complete w/ renderings ASAP.

The Green Light Program is beging to kick in with much needed widening some major roads too.

BRBusinessReport had a small rendering of the new (redeveloped) 13-story 300-room Renaissance hotel on Bluebonnet Blvd; I am unable to find the rendering on a website.

Edited by richyb83

Thank you guys very much for your welcoming. Also a little about myself, Im a resident of the north baton rouge area (southern Hieghts) near southern university, and I've witnessed so much growth throughout the southern region of our city, and I find myself marveled at the rate of businesses going to that area. I've read some threads where you guys mentioned the howell place developments and me being very familiar with that area, it seems that plans have been going on for that area for some years now! Too Long.. Do you guys have any info on new developments in north BR?

Edited by Trel-Ellis

Thank you guys very much for your welcoming. Also a little about myself, Im a resident of the north baton rouge area (southern Hieghts) near southern university, and I've witnessed so much growth throughout the southern region of our city, and I find myself marveled at the rate of businesses going to that area. I've read some threads where you guys mentioned the howell place developments and me being very familiar with that area, it seems that plans have been going on for that area for some years now! Too Long.. Do you guys have any info on new developments in north BR?

Welcome to the fourms. Nice to know we have another member from the other end of town. I don't know of any other developments in NBR, but I'm sure residential and commerical will take off very soon. I was just up in your area today. Taking some pics for a new thread I will post up here soon.

Holla @ me when u get this.

Since starting Howell Place has lead more development across on Harding Blvd. I know they are supposed to expand the airport, and relocate the intersection of Plank Rd at Blount Rd. Coca-Cola is moving their production and distribution facilities near the airport from the Airline/I-12 location.. The BR Zoo is about ready to expand too. The new medical clinic is supposed to have started up at the old K-Mart shopping center on Airline blocks from EKL.

* Veteran's Memorial Blvd. will be extended to Blount Road.

* Fairchild/Bradley Street will be widened with curbs and sidewalks.

* Elm Grove Garden will be improved as well.

* Ford Street will get improvements with a raised median between the two-lanes; this will make a better connection from Plank to Mickens.

* Part of Glen Oaks Drive will be three-laned with sidewalks

I like the new condo's on Senic Hwy. at the entrance to Southern U.

Southern U. dreamed big on campus wide enhancements thanks to a sucessful $60million municipal bond issue. This should help attracting more students. Improvements to AW Mumford Stadium; Lee-Hines Field; 178,000 sq.ft.' 3-story apartment-style dormitory and intramural facility.

You are right, the growth the southern sections of BR has been on a break-neck pace. It's good to see some of the developments shifting NBR's way. Howell Place mixed-use development on Harding at I-110 near the airport just down the road from Southern is a great location. The Hilton Garden Inn is nice; a couple more hotels are on there way...more condo's and medical offices too.

• 2 months later...

Okay guys I just wanted to say "hey" to everyone. I have been posting messages for about a week now and getting great responses from everyone. Thanks!!! I am so happy that I found this site and have the opportunity to talk about things that interest me with others that have the same interest. Most of my friends don't have the same interest as I do when it comes to all the exciting developments around the city so I often find myself not having the opportunity to talk about them. Now I do!!!! Thanks for welcoming me into you guys' "development circle". Do any of you ever get together for coffee or what not and talk about all this in person?

Welcome once again to the forums. It's always good to see people that take interest in our city's developments. I find it a bit ironic that the BR Forum has picked up in recent weeks with several new posters here on UP! Just in time for the 07' wave of development. So much going on, it's encouraging to see BR grow like this!

We have talked about meeting up a time or two, but we never have that I know of.

Edited by richyb83

Richy and I actually went to high school together. I stopped to talk and he started mentioning how great the view was and all of the development going on in and around town. The light bulbs started going off in my head. Richy83 is my old classmate from way back in the day.

Yeah I thought I recognized Bryde, but was not sure because his shaved dome threw me off. Now Bryde has his own personal avatar :lol: Just kiddin'. That was really cool to meet up in the nose bleed at the LSU game. When I mentioned the views of the city, I could tell he really knew his stuff, I was impressed. Bryde also had his great looking family with him too. Bryde's Mom was my Geometry teacher in HS.

And when you guys met each other, you were only a section or two over from me in the nosebleeds. I was sitting in section 612, and I couldn't believe it when I heard Richy and byrde met each other at the LSU game, and I was sitting only a short distance away. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Hey Everybody,

I just wanted to take this chance to introduce myself. I have been stalking these forums for months now, and finally felt it was time to become a memeber! I am a second year architecture student at LSU, and what can I say, I love development and urban planning. Im from small town Louisiana, Deridder to be exact, and living in baton rouge is exciting for me, because of all of the interesting things going on, a HUGE amount of projects compared to DeRidder, lol. Anyway, thanks for the welcome! :)

Great to have you here in the BR Forums buckett5425! I'm glad you decided to join us :thumbsup: Impressive that you are in architecture at LSU. Dan326 is considering that too. You came to the right place for development/urban planning. I can appreciate your enthusiasm. It's been fun watching BR grow-up.

I have seen LSU's Architecture website with some really cool ideas for the land near the Shaw Center for the Arts. I would like to see something like that built there.

I have friends that live in tiny Merryville not very far from DeRidder.

Hi there buckett5425! I nice to see how as the city grows so does this forum. :D

You're right ,Richy, I am considering being an architect. I talked an architec that works at my dad's agency, and he said it' a lot of long hours. So what kind of stuff are you doing right now buckett?

Edited by dan326

Hi there buckett5425! I nice to see how as the city grows so does this forum. :D

You're right ,Richy, I am considering being an architect. I talked an architec that works at my dad's agency, and he said it' a lot of long hours. So what kind of stuff are you doing right now buckett?

Yea, i can completly understand him putting in long hours :P

For the first year, most of our projects are based on design and flow, and really dont involve much "architecture." We also learn the basics of design, and the thought processes you must go through, also drafting and such. Its a lot of fun, and ive met some really interesting people. If your thinking about arch, then do it, atleast try it, and if not, then you can move onto something else that intrest you. But i will warn you, you will have a couple over nighters, even first year, lol

• 3 weeks later...