Favorite Capital City Skyline

TBurban

Southern Capital City Skylines  

115 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite capital city skyline?

• Montgomery
    • Little Rock
    • Tallahassee
    • Atlanta
    • Baton Rouge
    • Frankfort
    • Jackson
    • Raleigh
    • Oklahoma City
    • Columbia
    • Nashville
    • Austin
    • Richmond

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Atlanta. Georgia is one of the few states that has its capital in its leading city.

I would give it:

1. Atlanta

2. Richmond

3. Nashville

4. Austin

4. Raleigh

5. Columbia

In the next 5 to 10 years, I'm certain downtown development in Raleigh is going to increase exponentially. If the economy stays solid, you'll see a lots of midrises and some high rises (30 to 40 stories). The mass of people are here (or moving here) and both Raleigh and Durham have a different vibe/atmosphere towards urban renewal/development versus 1998 when I moved back here.

Columbia is underrated, period (so affordable to live there).

My list:

1. Atlanta (no state capital or city in the same class when it comes to skylines in the "traditional cultural" of southern cities), unless you consider Houston and Dallas (a mixture of SW and Southern culture in my opinon)....Miami, is that city really in the South.

2. Richmond (balanced and brilliant, need to get on the ball, some good projects on the table)

3. Nashville (moving towards number 2 in the next decade)

4. Raleigh (Pride and resources will cause this city to surge in a few years)

5. Columbia (Quality projects on the board and will continue to grow)

I didn't include Austin, OKC and Little Rock. Maybe I should have but they seem somewhat SW. Although you'd be hard pressed detecting a southern accent in most parts of North Raleigh, Cary, South or West Durham or Chapel Hill.

I think you all are underrating Columbia given that this is a thread about which skyline is your favorite. I mean, Raleigh is a great city and all, but come on... Columbia has a much better form and substance than Raleigh regarding a skyline.

It's cool though; as of right now, Columbia is holding its own at 2nd place in the poll. Raleigh has height, I'll give it that...too bad most of the towers have the same basic form though.

Wonder if the abundance of South Carolinians on this forum might have something to do with that? :whistling:

I think you all are underrating Columbia given that this is a thread about which skyline is your favorite. I mean, Raleigh is a great city and all, but come on... Columbia has a much better form and substance than Raleigh regarding a skyline.

I'm sorry to have to disagree with you here. As nice and wide as Columbia's skyline is, I much prefer the height and variation foud in the Raleigh skyline, especially as it has a signature tower. Even Richmond has better density and overall height. Hopefully Columbia will be able to boast that someday, but until then, it is not an overly exciting skyline, IMO.

Wonder if the abundance of South Carolinians on this forum might have something to do with that? :whistling:

Possibly, but North Carolina has more forumers than South Carolina, yet Columbia still leads by a wide margin over Raleigh. Bias has something to do with it for sure, but it has been shown that more people on this forum prefer Columbia's skyline over Raleigh's (check out the "Best skyline in the Carolinas excluding Charlotte" thread).

I don't really think of Raleigh as having a signature tower (RBC will become one though), but rather two tall "bookends." And as of now, there's not much variety in the skyline at all. Columbia's might not have the height or a signature tower, but it's quite expansive, more varied in architecture, and has better density.

but it has been shown that more people on this forum prefer Columbia's skyline over Raleigh's

Reminds me of an old Tasters Choice coffee commercial from morning TV....."more people prefer Tasters Choice over the number two brand". ;)

Raleigh is waiting on a veritable portion of its skyline to get built. As it is, there's density and a nice atmosphere, but nothing much in the skyline department. Call us in 2008 maybe.

I quite like Austin's though. There's a good deal of height and architectural variety. It really comes to life at night too.

Atlanta won hands down but guess who is one there tails, let take this poll again in 5 years after a certains 1047ft skyscaper is built that i will remain name list................lol, i have to give it to Richmond I love the lights but all of the building kinda look the same....

Archived