[Off-Topic] Going to Chattanooga for Vacation

lsgchas

Hi-

I'm going to Chattanooga in April, and was wondering if I could get some advice from the locals. In particular, I was wondering if someone could recommend: good places to eat (especially barbecue), places to go hiking, good bars (particularly local bars, not touristy ones), and maybe a good, cheap place to stay. And of course, anything else you think a visitor should check out.

Appreciate it,

Lee

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi-

I'm going to Chattanooga in April, and was wondering if I could get some advice from the locals. In particular, I was wondering if someone could recommend: good places to eat (especially barbecue), places to go hiking, good bars (particularly local bars, not touristy ones), and maybe a good, cheap place to stay. And of course, anything else you think a visitor should check out.

Appreciate it,

Lee

Although it is a short distance away on the Georgia side, but not too far, I highly recommend visiting the lovely Cloudland Canyon State Park, it has nice trails, waterfalls, and scenic canyon views. http://gastateparks.org/info/cloudland/

Some of my favorite restaurants are Hiroshi's (Sushi and Japanese) 114 West Main St, Big River Grill and Brewing Works, 222 Broad St., Rib & Loin (BBQ), 5946 Brainerd Rd., the Mellow Mushroom (Pizza) 205 Broad St., The Northshore Grill and Bar, 16 Frazier Ave., The Pickle Barrel (my favorite place to get a beer!), 1012 Market Street, Rembrandt's Coffee House, 204 High St., Sticky Fingers (Ribs, BBQ), 420 Broad St., and the Terra Nostra Tapas and Wine (quaint little courtyard outdoor dining), 105 Frazier Ave. If you like a bar with live music, Rhythms and Brews, 221 Market St. is good.

As for sightseeing and hiking, there are excellent trails along the top of Signal Mountain. Also, I love going about an hour north up US 27 and Hwy 111 to Fall Creek Falls State Park, and there are wonderful hiking trails on Chilhowee Mountain, about 15 miles east of Cleveland on US 64 next to Ocoee Lake. If you like history, there is Chickamauga National Battlefield just across the state line in Georgia. Also, drive up and drive along the crest of Missionary Ridege where you'll see numerous Civil War monuments and spectacular views of the city.

Of couse, don't forget the Tennessee Aquarium which has recently undergone a $30 Million dollar expansion, and a walk along our now famous waterfront from the Aquarium up the the Hunter Museum and the Museum District. I hope you enjoy your trip, and I think you will find Chattanooga to be a great place to visit!

Thanks for the advice so far. I've been checking out the web for things to do, and I found a website for Lookout Mountain. (One company in particular sells a mountain pass for the incline railroad, Rock City, and Ruby Falls.) Is this a really touristy place? Can someone who generally avoids tourist traps have a good time there? Thanks.

Thanks for the advice so far. I've been checking out the web for things to do, and I found a website for Lookout Mountain. (One company in particular sells a mountain pass for the incline railroad, Rock City, and Ruby Falls.) Is this a really touristy place? Can someone who generally avoids tourist traps have a good time there? Thanks.

Are the Lookout Mountain sites "touristy" ? Naaah ! :blink:

Seriously, those are probably amongst Tennessee's most well-advertised sites (used to be you couldn't go anywhere without seeing "See Rock City" ads painted on barns) in the nation. Whether that should discourage you, I don't know. If you're going to Chattanooga, probably making a pilgrimage to see them at least once is something to strongly consider. :thumbsup:

If you do choose to skip the sites, at least take a drive to the top of Lookout Mountain to Point Park (part of the Chattanooga/Chickamauga NMP) where you have an obstructed view of the city and Moccasin Bend directly below. To miss this view while visiting Chattanooga is a blasphemy ! :D

I would highly recommend at least riding the incline because it is one of the nicest short, slow trips you will ever take. If you are pressed for time, then Rock City and Ruby Falls could be skipped, but they are probably worth going to once for most people. For barbeque Sticky Fingers is definitely the best place. Dirty Nelly's is a great local Irish bar and restaurant that I also highly recommend. In addition to Signal Mtn., the best place to hike that is not far from the city is Reflection Riding on the side of Lookout Mtn. They have miles and miles of trails through some of the most beautiful woods you could imagine, especially being so close to the city center. April is the perfect time because the trees and wildflowers in bloom are spectacular. Two other places you may want to check out if you have time are Bowater Pocket Wilderness, which is just north of downtown off US 27 in Soddy Daisy, and the Chickamauga Creek Greenway in Hixson just north of the dam on 153. But of course, dont miss any part of the riverfront, including the riverwalk that goes for six or seven miles on the south side.

http://www.chattanature.org/reflection_riding.htm

You might want to check out the National Medal of Honor Museum in Chattanooga too. If you are a history buff then this is well worth an hour or so to see. I at least though it was interesting. Raccoon Mountain Caverns I have heard is really good as well. I have never been there but a local said they were just as good as Ruby Falls. Also the Chattanooga Choo Choo Rail Station(now a Holiday Inn) and the Tennessee Vally Railroad Museum. I would check out an online website for hotels there. There are a lot around Hamilton Place Mall and you can find a good rate if you shop. The hotels downtown are a little pricey.

No visit to Chattanooga is complete without a trip to Sir Gooneys up on Brainerd Rd... I would recommend following up that visit with dinner at either the Rib and Loin to the north of Sir Gooneys (look for the 499-OINK sign) or Hooters to the south.

Archived