Traffic / Transportation around the I-85 cluster

gs3

An article from the GV News about traffic concerns around the I-85 cluster of CU-ICAR, Millenium Campus, Verdae, The Point, Greenridge, etc. Since we've all been discusing this, thought it needed it's own thread.

The article is very informative, but doesn't leave a bright outlook for immediate funding for transportation issues.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....338/1004/NEWS01

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt the idea of a fiber optic communications system would work. It is pratically resynchronizing the lights from Haywood Road to Duvall Drive. It would be nice to invest into adding left turn signals at Marketplace (Taco Bell), Henderson Road and Duvall Drive.

The article does mention new interchanges for I-85 at Laurens Road, Woodruff Road and I-385. Those are three major interchanges that need serious overhauling.

Great, another Haywood/Laurens Road-type mess in the works. If these developments had been built and would be built in pedestrian-friendly ways, then people could just drive to them and walk around from office to store to whatever else is there. But since they are auto-oriented sprawling developments, even if they are nice, they are traffic generators.

Too bad at least the office space (except the car research places, which I understand would need lots of space) isn't going downtown.

Great planning, civic leaders.

As was mentioned in another thread, if not these master-planned developments along I-85, then what? More McDonalds, Burger Kings, and the like, which would be far worse, IMO? I am with you on the need to get businesses to locate in offoces downtown, but this corporation would not stay in Greenville if not for the location they wnt along the interstate. Are we to demand they stay downtown or nowhere? They'd pack up and move to Florida quicker than you could say, "lets work out a downtown deal and forget the outer edge of the City." Something would end up on these wooded properties along I-85 eventually, but I wouldn't feel so confident in their being so successful by then.

I am with Spartan on the idea that Greenville needs to kick the LRT plan into high gear NOW.

Archived