Seccession for Mount Pleasant

vicupstate

Mount Pleasant officials discuss succession to Berkeley County

Forming a new county would be very difficult IMO. Succession however, might be possible if sentiment rose high enough. It would take a 66% majority which is never easy though. Hopefully, this won't go past the talking stage.

I'm sure Horry would rather not lose it's status as largest county either. Not that they could do anything to stop it.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Charleston County is pretty wide from McClenanville to Jacksonboro(ok, thats Colleton but right on the border). I dont know the situation in Mt Pleasant well enough but it sounds like the towns allover Chas. County are not cooperating very well with each other feeling neglected with representation and unfair allocated county funds. If this plan falls through, all i hope for it benefits the tax payers, improves city services and Mt P. is in cooperation with Berkely County to preserve the FMNF.

<_< I've said it before, sometimes I think my hometown metro area is OBSESSED with secession. James Island trying to incorporate is one example, and now this. I think it is ridiculous. This is a suggestion that will cause more headaches and stress than negotiating with Chas County. If Mt. P officials feel they are not being adequately taken care of, they need to have a meeting with county officials and work it out.

This almost feels like more of a threat to Chas County rather than something that can actually be done efficiently. I don't like this tactic for better communication with the county. I'm sure county officials will wise up now and quit stiffing the East Cooper area.

This is interesting, because I was mulling over the thought of a new county possibly forming in the state not too long ago. If a new county were to be formed, would Mt. Pleasant be the only town therein? And which county is the youngest in this state?

I believe Allendale is the youngest formed in 1919, if I am not mistaken. I think SC has enough counties. Frankly, we could stand to get rid of a few (Lee, McCormick, Calhoun come to mind).

Awendaw would be part of 'Wando' county if it were to be formed.

The biggest downside to Mt. Pleasant (it is secceeded) would be that county offices would be all the way in Moncks Corner rather than just across the Cooper in Charleston.

I was not aware that Mt. Pleasant use to be part of Berkeley, and not all that long ago.

[url="http://www.charleston.net/stories/?newsID=74730

Charleston County has changed a lot over the years (as have most of the counteis along the coast). Chareleston County was at one point only the City of Charleston, which back then was everything South of Calhoun. But then in 1839 it covered all of what is today Charleston and Berkeley Counties....

There used to be a cool website that showed all of that, but it seems ot be down. I reccomend that you do some research on the evolution of SC's counties, its pretty interesting.

I believe Allendale is the youngest formed in 1919, if I am not mistaken. I think SC has enough counties. Frankly, we could stand to get rid of a few (Lee, McCormick, Calhoun come to mind).

Awendaw would be part of 'Wando' county if it were to be formed.

The biggest downside to Mt. Pleasant (it is secceeded) would be that county offices would be all the way in Moncks Corner rather than just across the Cooper in Charleston.

I was not aware that Mt. Pleasant use to be part of Berkeley, and not all that long ago...

I heard this as well. However, it would be stupid for Chas County to let Mt. P go without negotiating with the town. I also don't know if many residents would vote for it. Most people I know there fully acknowledge its ties to Chas. If a new county was formed, it would still be in the metro area because so many people commute from East Cooper to DT.

I don't think a new "Wando" county is very realistic. The cost of building a new courthouse, jail, public works, etc. etc. could get real expensive. Plus, there isn't a lot of industrial tax base, that would mean very high property taxes. The legislature would have to approve it. I'm not sure where they would fall on this issue.

^ Very true. I know many people in Mt. P have already mentioned how high their taxes are. Creating a new "Wando County" would probably increase county taxes because there would be so much infrastructure to build. I said this earlier, and after reading this last article, it's looking more apparent: the councilman is trying to threaten Chas County.

^ Very true. I know many people in Mt. P have already mentioned how high their taxes are. Creating a new "Wando County" would probably increase county taxes because there would be so much infrastructure to build. I said this earlier, and after reading this last article, it's looking more apparent: the councilman is trying to threaten Chas County.

Really they wouldnt have to build anything except for a few new buildings. All of the infrastructure exists now.

Really they wouldnt have to build anything except for a few new buildings. All of the infrastructure exists now.

A courthouse would not be cheap, 9-11 has increased the required security for one thing. And jails are quite expensive. Other things might include animal pound, public works facilities, Health department,etc.

By state law, counties have to provide facilities for certain human service agencies such as DSS as well.

The infrastructure that exists now, would not just be 'given up' by the losing county (Charleston). Wando would have to pay Charleston a pro-rata share of it's bonded indebtedness. Again, given the lack of industrial property [which has high values and a 10.5% tax rate (as opposed to 4% for residential)], the tax burden could be very substantial IMO.

A courthouse would not be cheap, 9-11 has increased the required security for one thing. And jails are quite expensive. Other things might include animal pound, public works facilities, Health department,etc.

By state law, counties have to provide facilities for certain human service agencies such as DSS as well.

The infrastructure that exists now, would not just be 'given up' by the losing county (Charleston). Wando would have to pay Charleston a pro-rata share of it's bonded indebtedness. Again, given the lack of industrial property [which has high values and a 10.5% tax rate (as opposed to 4% for residential)], the tax burden could be very substantial IMO.

True, but they still won't have to build it ;)

The point is that creating a new county would be very expensive. Even secession would be expensive. I dont think that either is very likely. I realy don't understand why Charleston has such a problem with where the boundaries are drawn.

I really don't understand why Charleston has such a problem with where the boundaries are drawn.

Well, they were the ones to fire on Ft. Sumter and lead SC to suceed from the union. And we all know how Charleston reveres it's ancestory.

Come to think of it, Between Edisto Beach, Edisto Island and Ladson, Charleston has had the most county successions in modern times already. The only other one i know of is when part of Kershaw left for Lancaster in the '70's.

:lol:

Archived