RUMOURED: aloft W Hotel

W HOTELS IS GOING ALOFT: NEW STARWOOD BRAND TO REACH NEW HEIGHTS WITH BREAKTHROUGH CONCEPT IN SELECT SERVICE CATEGORY. Stylish Design, Technology and a Hip Urban Attitude to Transform Outdated Hotel Business Segment. Aloft; adverb: in or into a high place; high or higher up. [StarwoodHotels.com]

Starwood Real Estate Group Click the 'aloft' logo in the scrolling list of logos at the bottom of the screen

A little birdy told me that Starwood was looking at Providence as a location for it's new alofts luxury brand (a division of the W Hotel brand). Anyone heard anything else about this? Anyone care to speculate?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I am not familiar with the aloft brand, I didn't realize that Westin and Sheraton were some of the parent co.'s brands. I like what I see from them and hopefully an aloft brand hotel will add more hotel rooms to this great city and add another price level/market segment for hotel customers in the Providence area.

I would elaborate but i guess I don't know enough about the hotel brand or details on their plans on where they want to build or any renderings. But I hope those come in due time since I guess they are just scoping or prospecting the market/city at this early stage.

I welcome this development. I like the style of the W Hotels (at least the ones in NY) and it looks like this new "aloft" brand will also be very nice. You can be sure they will have an interesting street presence, decent architectural lighting, and nice signage. Their design will NOT have issues like Sierra Suites.

W HOTELS IS GOING ALOFT: NEW STARWOOD BRAND TO REACH NEW HEIGHTS WITH BREAKTHROUGH CONCEPT IN SELECT SERVICE CATEGORY. Stylish Design, Technology and a Hip Urban Attitude to Transform Outdated Hotel Business Segment. Aloft; adverb: in or into a high place; high or higher up. [StarwoodHotels.com]

Starwood Real Estate Group Click the 'aloft' logo in the scrolling list of logos at the bottom of the screen

A little birdy told me that Starwood was looking at Providence as a location for it's new alofts luxury brand (a division of the W Hotel brand). Anyone heard anything else about this? Anyone care to speculate?

I do not know about any specific Starwood projects, but there is a spinnoff of the W hotel group who have a very cool hotel concept which I believe may be going to a section of the Pontiac Mill site in Warwick. Pontiac, alas, is dormant due to the uncertianty of the RIHTC and that may have also affected the hotel pad site, I don't know. Hopefully they will get it on track later this year.

I do not know about any specific Starwood projects, but there is a spinnoff of the W hotel group who have a very cool hotel concept which I believe may be going to a section of the Pontiac Mill site in Warwick. Pontiac, alas, is dormant due to the uncertianty of the RIHTC and that may have also affected the hotel pad site, I don't know. Hopefully they will get it on track later this year.

I'm so pissed at Carcieri and some of the legislators for talking about messing with the Historic Tax Credit. That makes one project cancelled (Paramount) and now at least two on hold (Pontiac and Foundry bldg next to 95).

Aloft is the spinoff of The W. To clarify: Sheraton, Westin, and W (and a few others) are all Starwood Hotels brands. I'm surprised that Aloft would be selected for the Pontiac Mills property, the design doesn't seem to complement an old textile mill very well. I predicted a Ramada or Best Western when it was announced years ago, however the Master Hosts Inn at the airport is raising their new Best Western franchise flag this year.

Aloft looks like Motel 6 with a fancy facade and large, stylishly adorned common areas. The rooms appear bright and comfortable with limited amenities. Finally, a limited-service hotel for Providence!

The first economy brand hotel that opens within a mile of downtown will make a killing. The best value in the city right now is $100 a night at the Holiday Inn, with the sweet sounds of air hammers and screw guns at 7:00 AM from the guys working on the guest room next door.

Cotuit, where is it rumored to be located? Or is that just too delicious?! :w00t:

Cotuit, where is it rumored to be located? Or is that just too delicious?! :w00t:

All I've heard is that Providence is on their list of possible locales. They are supposed to be opening hotels at quite a steady clip over the next two years, so if they decide they do want to be in Providence, we'll likely hear something in the not too distant future.

• 7 months later...

Well, I'm not sure that the aloft rumor was ever successfully answered. The Warwick tangent ended up being NYLO, and now we have a W on the way. I would guess that they were looking to do the aloft, then said, screw it, Providence needs a full blown W. If the W weren't coming I'd speculate about aloft in the Federal Reserve or the St. Francis Chapel. But with W on the way, I'd now speculate that aloft is off the table.

I seriously doubt that these are two seperate proposals. The initial rumor that W was eyeing Providence is months old, and little has been heard of it since. I'm sure they decided to get involved with the One Ten project rather than go on their own, as the original rumor seemed to assume.

• 6 months later...

Archived