The state of Raleigh's leadership

RALBOI

One thing I've notice recently is signs next to other signs...sorta like someone saying "these two should be considered together" if you read into it.

I saw lots of Taliaferro signs right next to Baldwin signs. I've also seen a few Stephenson signs side-by-side with Koopman signs and sometimes Anderson signs. Am I reading too much into it? I dunno...I just thought it was interesting.

And I think I saw a Nancy McFarlane sign on the mayor's lawn...even though he doesn't live in her district. But I guess it's a show of support nonetheless.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
$50/plate fundraisers were out of my price range, but $250 lunches are out of my league. It seems that league is attractive to Mary-Ann Baldwin, Jessie Taliaferro, and Paul Anderson as well.

Despite being an at-large candidate, I haven't seen a campaign sign in Southeast Raleigh for any candidates yet. With the election less than a month away and the district seat uncontested, it seems most at-large candidates are not concerned with that part of the city. Russ Stephenson was at the August south central CAC meeting, but that was about it.

It is good to see another blog interested in city politics, but it has been really quiet so far. I want to make it to the debate on the 19th, but I am not sure if that is going to happen.

I also like Chief's picks, but I want to vote for a second at-large candidate in addition to Russ Stephenson.

When I was trying to help get Urban Raleigh off the ground, Helen Tart attended a couple of meetings and contributed to the email list. I think she helped with creating the Oakwood Park off-leash dog park as well. From what I have seen, I'd vote for her over the rest of the at-large field not named Russ.

It is somewhat telling that the Sierra Club endorsed two unopposed candidates (Meeker, Crowder) but not the other two (West, Isley).

^ I too am leaning with Helen Tart for the second at-large seat now, as I find out more about the candidates. She's a long-shot, but the more I hear about Baldwin and Anderson getting cozy with developers, the more I want to look for an alternative.

I'm curious why Sierra Club only endorsed one person for at-large (Stephenson). Perhaps Helen Tart didn't get her questionaire turned-in in time. :dontknow:

^ I too am leaning with Helen Tart for the second at-large seat now, as I find out more about the candidates. She's a long-shot, but the more I hear about Baldwin and Anderson getting cozy with developers, the more I want to look for an alternative.

I'm curious why Sierra Club only endorsed one person for at-large (Stephenson). Perhaps Helen Tart didn't get her questionaire turned-in in time. :dontknow:

The problem is that two at-large seats will be filled. If you don't vote for a second candidate, everyone else who does gets a "free" second vote. I don't want to concede anything to people who hold views I don't agree with.

I hate not having a choice for my district seat (or mayor!), and don't like the fact that roughly 60% of the city shares my fate. This makes the contested elections all the more important. I would vote for Meeker, but the fact that no one else is willing to run for the job weakens the position somewhat.

With just over four weeks until election day, it will be interesting to see how things play out.

WakeUp Wake County (the group that fought hard to get the transfer tax passed) is sponsoring a Raleigh City Council candidates forum on September 19 (Wednesday) from 7-9 pm at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church on the corner of Brooks and Clark Avenues (near NC State's main campus two blocks off Hillsborough Street). Co-sponsored by the Wake League of Women Voters. Will be interesting to see if the hardcore right wingers even show up...

A little about me, Will Best.

I am a former employee of the Raleigh Planning department under George Chapman and am currently employed by the NC Department of Commerce. My experience is in community planning, land use planning, annexations and GIS. I also have been involved in policy, tax incentives such as the William S Lee Act as well as the Article 3J program. I am 29 (11/1977) years old and hope to bring more representation to the growing population that is between 18 and 35 here in Raleigh as well as everyone else. Raleigh needs new blood on council to move ahead into the 21st Century with an open mind and common sense.

So there is some info about me, from me. Thank you.

A little about me, Will Best.

I am a former employee of the Raleigh Planning department under George Chapman and am currently employed by the NC Department of Commerce. My experience is in community planning, land use planning, annexations and GIS. I also have been involved in policy, tax incentives such as the William S Lee Act as well as the Article 3J program. I am 29 (11/1977) years old and hope to bring more representation to the growing population that is between 18 and 35 here in Raleigh as well as everyone else. Raleigh needs new blood on council to move ahead into the 21st Century with an open mind and common sense.

So there is some info about me, from me. Thank you.

The N&O has posted candidates' answers to their three question surveys. The three questions asked -- impact fees, infrastructure needs, and the Doretha Dix land -- are good but they missed an opportunity to get the candidates' stance on TIFs and North Hills East for the record. Only one candidate, Rodger Koopman, volunteered his stance (still against it).

More info:

N&O story on the council campaign.

N&O candidate info page.

Several from BTB: on Paul Anderson & Baldwin.

Baldwin has tried to dance around her enormous campaign war chest, funded mostly by developers/real estate, but I don't think anyone with half a brain is going to buy that there aren't strings attached. It's clear both she and Anderson do not favor raising impact fees.

Baldwin:

"Talking about raising impact fees creates a good sound bite. But the fact is this: Impact fees cannot raise enough funds to adequately address our growth needs in Raleigh, especially those related to parks and roads...I feel our impact fees are adequate for the moment... I think substantially raising impact fees could hurt ownership potential for first-time homebuyers and others of modest means."

Anderson:

"At present, the impact fees voted on by the City Council are at the right level. The policy of annual review of appropriateness will allow us to make proper adjustments to meet the demands of our city without discouraging proper growth. Our city and county cannot continue to grow at these astounding rates without a commitment to invest.

We must pay attention to the deteriorating transportation infrastructure. We cannot neglect the maintenance requirements that increased traffic has imposed on our roads and bridges. We cannot defer replacing areas of our city's infrastructure that are obsolete."

Not suprisingly, both developer-funded candidates both favor keeping impact fees low. Interestingly, they both point to other infrastructure needs related to schools and transportation, but don't offer any way to pay for them. Amazing too that Baldwin says she is concerned for SE Raleigh residents and first time homebuyers "of modest means" and maintains that impact fees would hurt them. What about property taxes (which EVERYONE pays) that are jacked up every time we need new schools or roads? All the taxpayers are getting screwed under the current arrangement.

Koopman:

"[impact fees are] too low. According to an independent consultant's report, Raleigh taxpayers are still paying 75 percent of the costs of growth, and developers are getting a free subsidy from the city of $4,655 per new house (Duncan Associates report 2006). That's $21 million per year out of taxpayers' pockets as a subsidy for sprawl. The city manager's office has reported that the figure may actually be as high as $35 million per year."

FYI

and here is an article from today's N&O about Baldwin....instead of talking about the issues, she is going after blogs which are revealing the extent to which she is in the pocket of (to use the Below the Beltline's phrase) Big Real Estate. Are they inflammatory and of questionable taste? Sure! But that is beside the point. Inflammatory and tasteless ads have been a stock in trade of American political discourse almost since the founding of the Republic...

Clearly a diversionary tactic by Baldwin to draw attention away from the issues that are really important in this election: who should pay for the costs of growth? All of us, or the ones who are lining their pockets at the expense of the rest of us?

I received a "super post card" from the Mary Ann Baldwin campaign in the mail yesterday. My comments are in italics.

"On The Issues That Really Matter" (their caps, not mine):

- Balanced Growth. The best way to guide growth is through the adoption of a new "comprehensive plan." This blueprint for the future of our City should encourage urban in-fill, promote TOD, preserve our neighborhoods and conserve our natural resources.

She is campaigning for something that IS ALREADY SCHEDULED TO HAPPEN. Wow! We will never get urban in-fill and TOD if imapct fees charged to builders continue to be less than the impact they create. Anyone is a fool to think otherwise. But it looks good as a bullet point! Also, I have a feeling that "urban in-fill" is code for approving the parking deck subsidy for North Hills East.

- Community Values. I will work to preserve Dix as a destination park, pass our parks and open space bond, develop solutions to our transportation needs.

Now she's taking credit for passing a bond referendum drawn up by the current council and is for the VOTERS to decide if it passes. It will be decided before she would potentially take office. Amazing. What "work" has she done so far for Dix? Does she not care that Wake County wants to keep the mental health facilities there for at least a couple more years?

- Improved Communication. I will work to effectively communicate among all our elected leaders, various boards, etc.

Is this not happening already? What goes on at City Council and committee meetings if they're not communicating? Is she insinuating that there is no communication currently?

(End of card)

Overall this feels like an insult to me as an educated voter. The sad thing is that most of Raleigh's citizens doesn't know what is going on and will belive that Ms Baldwin is the only person who has put any thought into anything.

EDIT -- The Independent's election coverage and questionnaires are up now.

I received a "super post card" from the Mary Ann Baldwin campaign in the mail yesterday. My comments are in italics.

"On The Issues That Really Matter" (their caps, not mine):

- Balanced Growth. The best way to guide growth is through the adoption of a new "comprehensive plan." This blueprint for the future of our City should encourage urban in-fill, promote TOD, preserve our neighborhoods and conserve our natural resources.

She is campaigning for something that IS ALREADY SCHEDULED TO HAPPEN. Wow! We will never get urban in-fill and TOD if imapct fees charged to builders continue to be less than the impact they create. Anyone is a fool to think otherwise. But it looks good as a bullet point! Also, I have a feeling that "urban in-fill" is code for approving the parking deck subsidy for North Hills East.

- Community Values. I will work to preserve Dix as a destination park, pass our parks and open space bond, develop solutions to our transportation needs.

Now she's taking credit for passing a bond referendum drawn up by the current council and is for the VOTERS to decide if it passes. It will be decided before she would potentially take office. Amazing. What "work" has she done so far for Dix? Does she not care that Wake County wants to keep the mental health facilities there for at least a couple more years?

- Improved Communication. I will work to effectively communicate among all our elected leaders, various boards, etc.

Is this not happening already? What goes on at City Council and committee meetings if they're not communicating? Is she insinuating that there is no communication currently?

(End of card)

Overall this feels like an insult to me as an educated voter. The sad thing is that most of Raleigh's citizens doesn't know what is going on and will belive that Ms Baldwin is the only person who has put any thought into anything.

EDIT -- The Independent's election coverage and questionnaires are up now.

BTB on "single-shotting" Russ Stephenson (scroll down).

Now, pay attention, as this is absolutely crucial for this round, so read it thirty or forty times until it sinks in:

You must vote for only one At-Large candidate, and that candidate is Russ Stephenson.

There, are you hypnotized? This is called a "single shot" vote. The reason is simple: voter turnout will be low, and if you vote for two candidates then you risk diluting the vote --- and giving another candidate power. If everybody voted in town it would be a different story, but it ain't. I

While BTB may think they're playing to win, their strategy is playing to a stalemate. It hands the second at-large seat to Baldwin or Anderson on a silver platter and allows them to cast opposite votes for the next two years.

Giving candidates power is why we hold elections. The second vote "dilutes" all candidates equally unless there is a strong 1-2/2-1 voting block for two particular candidates.

A "Russ only" vote empowers Baldwin/Anderson, Williams/Baldwin, Williams only, and the (unlikely but stranger things have happened) Willams/Anderson votes. The latter votes, combined with Baldwin only and Anderson only voters, leave Russ on the outside looking in, regardless of if you vote just Russ, Stevenson/Best or Stevenson/Tart.

Voting Russ only leaves the possibility of Baldwin winning on first vote and a Stevenson vs. whomever in a runoff with MAB's left over war chest helping anyone other than the incumbent.

The N&O's endorsements are ... the incumbents.

- Russ "reliable ally of Meeker" Stephenson and Mary Ann "has attracted significant support from business interests and is running the best-financed at-large campaign" Baldwin for at-large

- Tommy "friend of the development community" Craven over Nancy Mcfarlane in District A

- Jesse "to some degree an ally of developers" Taliaferro over Rodger Koopman and Angel Menendez.

The quotes are selective, but are pulled from the N&O's endorsement.

Craven gets the nod for "balancing perspectives on the council", but if the N&O's picks are elected, they will throw any sense of balance off.

I will agree that Jesse Taliaferro is "hard working" but that hard work goes toward getting non-natural uses at Horseshoe Farm Nature Park. And "compromise" is another way of saying "appeasing the devlopment community by keeping the majority of infrastructure improvement on the existing tax base." From the endorsement:

She doesn't see herself as classifiable, and her value is as a centrist with a progressive streak. She considers herself a reasonable steward of natural resources, but one who understands the challenges of growth.

^^^ Yeah that editorial was about as spineless as can be....I suppose Hitler could balance the council too. The N&O said experience and balance is why they chose Craven. Well, lets see, experience at what? promoting sprawl, ignoring downtown and SE Raleigh...sounds like poo to me.....Almost the same for Jesse, in her effort to unite the council she struck me as the most wishy washy indecisive, what in the world do I stand for person ever. The N&O needs to also, decide where it stands....you can't say you want a progressive council and then go and endorse a conservative and wolf and sheeps clothing conservative. This paper is so powerful as the only mainstream source of news here, that it probably just nailed down the election for those two....

Archived