Massive Riverfront Project

GRDadof3

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They work in a cube farm just like me.

I wonder if Suzanne Geha has her own office?

You guys are forgetting it was our very own dschoon who broke this story -- not on tv or radio, but in Monday's Grand Rapids Business journal. No one else in town even mentioned it until they read it there. Period.

Kudos to dschoon!

Do you mean the Soccer World Cup?

That's in Deutschland in June.

Are Spaten and Hacker-Pschorr going to build brew pubs downtown GR?

I'm ready for one right now!

Unlike other professional sports leagues, the MLS is actually owned by one individual, who happens to have made his fortune through...... real estate. He is on a campaign to build soccer only venues, (last year FC Dallas, this year Chicago Fire) that double as...... outside concert venues. MLS also targets some smaller markets, like Columbus. So don't dismiss soccer fever just yet.

Unlike other professional sports leagues, the MLS is actually owned by one individual, who happens to have made his fortune through...... real estate. He is on a campaign to build soccer only venues, (last year FC Dallas, this year Chicago Fire) that double as...... outside concert venues. MLS also targets some smaller markets, like Columbus. So don't dismiss soccer fever just yet.

not entirely correct... MLS is a single operator league in that all the investors own the whole league. guys like Anschutz (Sp?), Hunt and other investors are in this group... it's not just one individual.

and then each investing group can control one or more teams depending on how much they invest in the league. it's a messed up system, but it has kept the league in business for 10 years.

a soccer specific stadium downtown would be great, but is there a group that wants to bring one here? i haven't seen GR mentioned anywhere. the Detroit group that wanted a team has fizzled out, and Philly, Toronto and Cleveland are way ahead of any other city in the expansion race.

Dschoon, without digging, cracked a supposed airtight super development? Correlation, yes... Dig deeper. This development has dirt allover it... Thoes who know please brush off the dirt please. The citizens of Grand Rapids would like to see a clean surface.

I think Soccer is great! I just thought you were trying to connect Germany to Grand Rapids...

I am a fan of the Spanish league...Valencia!

IF...a soccer stadium were to be built here, how would they utilize it in the winter months?

Soccer has to be played on natural grass.

bwindi25 --- I see your dots that you have connected now about the "outside concert venues"

if that's really the case, which MLS investor are you thinking is behind all this: Phil Anschutz or Lamar Hunt?

i think you're thinking it's Anschutz... what have you got? i'm tired of thinking about what other people are thinking of thinking of :)

I don't think a soccer stadium is "wacky" enough or is going to draw "national attention". Real sports fans in the u.s. only notice soccer as a blip on the radar. To draw national attention it would have to be one of the major 4 sports.

it would be much more than a soccer stadium (assuming this theory is correct)

it would be an outdoor concert venue as well. maybe with other sporting field/training facilities... then there would be the retail/housing/eco/bio/whatever thrown in as well.

how that = 10k jobs is totally beyond me... that's what i think this isn't really the whole picture.

News 8 just posted this:

"We now know the mystery man who is trying to buy property along the riverfront for the major project.

His name is David Minkin, a lawyer from Atlanta, Georgia. He is considered to be one of the leading real estate attorneys in the country. He represents developers of hotels, shopping centers, office and residential complexes.

Minkin set up Grand Rapids Development Corporation in September 2004. The company is based in Chicago."

Small cut of larger story

see www.woodtv.com

The plan to build a huge development on the banks of the Grand River is very close to being a done deal.

...they were told it involves entertainment, there is only one other like it, and that there is a better than 50-percent chance it will be built on the banks of the river.

They are calling it the single largest investment in the city's downtown.

THAT is what got my attention. Yow!!

While they don't know exactly what the project is, they were told it involves entertainment, there is only one other like it, and that there is a better than 50-percent chance it will be built on the banks of the river.

Oh, wow- so it can go either way, cool. <_<

The plan to build a huge development on the banks of the Grand River is very close to being a done deal.

...they were told it involves entertainment, there is only one other like it, and that there is a better than 50-percent chance it will be built on the banks of the river.

The fact that there is only one other like it is the key point I think. What entertainment type venue is there only one of?

Oh, wow- so it can go either way, cool. <_<

I would think it would involve the river. Why else fork out the cash for riverfront property if you're gonna ignore it? I also think that the planning dept would blow a gasket if such a huge project ignored the water.

Archived