Massive Riverfront Project

GRDadof3

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been lurking for a couple of years but this topic is too good to sit by silently. Malcolm Bricklin (of former Yugo fame) is bringing Chinese automaker Chery to the US. He wants it to be as big as Toyota, plus Chinese investment could handle the costs. Pure speculation of course.

This is fun!

If you make the assumption that a Fortune 500 company is behind all this (big assumption... what if it's in the 600's or 700's or a private company) you can just go down this list and pick a firm that fits the strange energy/resource/green/bio theories that have come up.

24 Pfizer --- nah, they just pulled out of this part of the state.

25 Boeing --- just as good a theory as any.

26 Procter & Gamble --- they spend enough on ads, they would help that dead part of the West Michigan economy.

let's see what i can find next...

If you make the assumption that a Fortune 500 company is behind all this (big assumption... what if it's in the 600's or 700's or a private company) you can just go down this list and pick a firm that fits the strange energy/resource/green/bio theories that have come up.

24 Pfizer --- nah, they just pulled out of this part of the state.

25 Boeing --- just as good a theory as any.

26 Procter & Gamble --- they spend enough on ads, they would help that dead part of the West Michigan economy.

let's see what i can find next...

If I were a betting man, I'd say this is a joint venture of several Fortune 500 companies.

Hey I'm just tossing bones.. But I really think this is multistage development over a decade consisting of midrise apartments/condos/commercial/entertainment, with zero setbacks, transparent groundfloor...

But one aspect that I think is intriquing is the fact that there is odd alliances for this lightrail issue... I would put out that maybe who ever is comming to town might also throw some cash money at ITP. :dontknow:

OK, here goes. An alternative energy company in Michigan has stumbled on something that will revolutionize internal combusion engines. They have now entered a contract to install this technology in all new Toyota engines made in the U.S. It is such a breakthrough technology that a consortium of International agencies has taken over the project and is administering it through the EPA and Homeland Security. Their corporate HQ's are going to be downtown GR, and the Toyota engine plant that eveyone has been talking about coming to Michigan will be in Hudsonville.

How's that?

Ah, so your following that "both city and suburbs will be happy" idea...

One aspect of this development has to be off, either the "billions" or "10,000 jobs" Witchever one can be the basis for overblow ideas, if both are wrong then well, we just spent a few days debating how cool a pet farm will be...

Have we considered the "Higher Education" variable in this equation?

If we thinking along the lines of "High Tech", "Sciences", "Renewable Energy", etc. And a progressive company like Toyota for example...would there need to be a higher education piece that would complement the R&D?

Something like a Carnegie Mellon or MIT for Grand Rapids?

I am just saying we could sniff around a major University like University of Michigan or MSU, etc. to see if they have plans like this.

2 Exxon Mobil

+

6 ChevronTexaco

+

7 ConocoPhillips

how's that for a joint venture from... ok, no political comments :whistling:

wait a minute...

22 Valero Energy

who are they???

what about a mit for energy right smack dab in gr?

-it brings in the collective resources of some of the wealthiest companies in the country, ie the above mentioned oil companies.

-a large research university brings top paying jobs and some of the world's most educated to the city

-it would also bring satellite investment from other companies looking to syphon top educated talent and to take advantage of the research.

-the airport expansion, the texas land speculation(oil companies are located in abundance in houston), the buses, all kind of fall into place.

so far, my best 2 cents on what could happen.

OK, here goes. An alternative energy company in Michigan has stumbled on something that will revolutionize internal combusion engines. They have now entered a contract to install this technology in all new Toyota engines made in the U.S. It is such a breakthrough technology that a consortium of International agencies has taken over the project and is administering it through the EPA and Homeland Security. Their corporate HQ's are going to be downtown GR, and the Toyota engine plant that eveyone has been talking about coming to Michigan will be in Hudsonville.

How's that?

Hmm...and the other day President GW said we were very close to a major breakthrough in alternative energy.

But, call me a cynic, I just dont think this alternative energy/automotive stuff is it. Just my feeling on the matter.

Reminds me of that "pipe line" to the Great Lakes. You have an endless energy source.

Side note: You know the steerling engine was once considered quite the toy, but I sometimes wonder if that little contraption is the next thing. I know they tried that engine out before sometime ago (and it failed quite often,) but I think with enough money and innovation in can be done.

Everything seems to center on a billion dollars and 10,000 jobs on that 30 acre lot. To be nationally recognized and fit into that area it would have to be corporate or research. 10,000 employees plus customers would not fit that space.

I would guess those numbers are probably the long term impact on the area. I.e. Toyota builds it's NA headquarters here, businesses who want to deal with Toyota start buying up property and office space, the housing market has to grow, which in turn means more stores, restaurants, and schools which in turn means many more jobs.

If I look at it from that angle I can see where we could be talking about billions of dollars and development over ten years.

Archived