New Orleans Off-Topic

NCB

^Wow, that looks like an awesome movie! I'm definately going to check that out over Thanksgiving! :thumbsup:

And just from watching that trailer, it is extremely obvious that it was filmed in New Orleans; NOPD cars, skyline shots, Crescent City Connection, Mississippi River, and on and on.

I am an Educational Translator/Interpreter for the Hearing-Impaired in Baton Rouge.

Wow Richy, that must be a great job, and extremely rewarding. Really cool man. :) I've never really had a reason to learn sign language, but I've always wanted to anyway, just to know that I could communicate with anyone who was deaf if the situation ever arose.

Pics of/Information about New Orleans' most notorious housing projects

The Calliope Projects were built in 1941 and house 3,500 people on 56 acres of land. Due to damage from Katrina, the project remains closed.

The Magnolia Projects were built in two phases, the first phase in 1941 with another expansion in 1955. Houses approximately 2,100. Bounded by Louisiana Ave., S. Claiborne Ave., Washington Ave., & LaSalle St. The area sustained severe flooding during Hurricane Katrina.

The Melphomine Projects is our only high-rise project, at a commanding 12 stories. Most N.O. housing projects are no more than 4 stories. Will be cleaned up & repaired. I gotta admit, the Melph is one of our better looking developments, landscape-wise.

P.S: While in New Orleans, it's a custom to represent your respective housing project. You'll hear folks mention different names of various housing projects in the city. New Orleans rappers have brought the aforementioned projects to the mainstream. Also, each of the Uptown housing projects has their own dress code. For example, in the Magnolia, you'll see young men wear black headbands with "Magnolia" written in bold white letters.

Edited by UptownNewOrleans

Also, each of the Uptown housing projects has their own dress code. For example, in the Magnolia, you'll see young men wear black headbands with "Magnolia" written in bold white letters.

When I read this, it reminded me of a question I had wanted to ask. I don't remember ever hearing much about anything like this, but are there really any "wars" between different projects in New Orleans? Again I don't remember hearing much about anything like that, but it wouldn't suprise me at all considering just how deep those "wars" in New Orleans can get...

City vs City

-Ward vs Ward

--Neighborhood vs Neighborhood

---Street vs Street

----Project vs Project?

Yep. The most infamous project wars New Orleans had were Magnolia vs. Melphomine & St. Bernard vs. Lafitte. Sometimes, Magnolia, Melphomine & Calliope would team up and take on St. Bernard, Lafitte & Florida. In Uptown, there's an elementary school situated right between the Magnolia & Melph projects (can't remember the name). Kids from each project would get into fights every day after school. When teens & adults would get in the mix, it wasn't even 5 minutes until gunfire broke out. In New Orleans Exposed, there was a section on the city's project wars. Nowadays, the only rivalry in New Orleans is Uptown vs. Downtown, and even you don't hear much about that. The 13th & 17th wards had a pretty big rivalry in the 90s and from 2000-2002 but that's been squashed. For the most part, everyone in the Uptown wards get along. Downtown it's a whole different story.

Edited by UptownNewOrleans

Yep. The most infamous project wars New Orleans had were Magnolia vs. Melphomine & St. Bernard vs. Lafitte. Sometimes, Magnolia, Melphomine & Calliope would team up and take on St. Bernard, Lafitte & Florida. In Uptown, there's an elementary school situated right between the Magnolia & Melph projects (can't remember the name). Kids from each project would get into fights every day after school. When teens & adults would get in the mix, it wasn't even 5 minutes until gunfire broke out. In New Orleans Exposed, there was a section on the city's project wars. Nowadays, the only rivalry in New Orleans is Uptown vs. Downtown, and even you don't hear much about that. The 13th & 17th wards had a pretty big rivalry in the 90s and from 2000-2002 but that's been squashed. For the most part, everyone in the Uptown wards get along. Downtown it's a whole different story.

Being as how my neighborhood growing up was bad but had no projects, I wasn't aware of 'projects vs. projects' wars. I was all too familiar with 'neighborhood vs. neighborhood' and 'street vs. street' though. My neighborhood was a 'neighborhood vs. neighborhood' place as its biggest enemy was Jack's Quarters, another bad Bossier City neighborhood. Shreveport was more the 'street vs. street' type of place.

And it's sad that there's an elementary school right in that area of New Orleans... and even moreso that the kids would get into turf battles. But what makes it worse is that teens and adults would get involved. It's completely uncivilized and hardcore. People just don't care anymore. They'll kill you over a color, a street, a neighborhood, a city, a coastline, or anything.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

How are things in New Orleans? It's been a long time since I visited this forum.

It's getting there, slowly but surely. Things are certainly improving greatly, and the economy here is expected to be in a massive 'boom" soon with all of these developments, and federal money coming in. The metro population is back up above 1.2 million, the city population is nearing 250,000, and is expected to be above 300,000 towards the end of the year. Remember that just 8-9 months ago, natioal demographers were saying New Orleans would never even get up above 200,000 again. Alot of things remain ahead of us, but we're making progress every day, which is always great to see. :thumbsup:

Maybe you'll be able to come down here sometime soon, IC, and tell us what you think of our fair city, and its recovery. :D

Also, I've seen you mention that you have family on the Mississippi Coast, have you been there since Katrina?

It's getting there, slowly but surely. Things are certainly improving greatly, and the economy here is expected to be in a massive 'boom" soon with all of these developments, and federal money coming in. The metro population is back up above 1.2 million, the city population is nearing 250,000, and is expected to be above 300,000 towards the end of the year. Remember that just 8-9 months ago, natioal demographers were saying New Orleans would never even get up above 200,000 again. Alot of things remain ahead of us, but we're making progress every day, which is always great to see. :thumbsup:

Maybe you'll be able to come down here sometime soon, IC, and tell us what you think of our fair city, and its recovery. :D

I certainly hope I'll be able to come down sometime.

Also, I've seen you mention that you have family on the Mississippi Coast, have you been there since Katrina?

Nope, we haven't kept too well in touch with them for the past several years. We do call every now and then and birthday and Christmas cards are sent, but we don't visit often. We heard that they're alright and that their house is fine (the ones nearby weren't though, but my relatives live on a slightly melevated piece of land from the houses next door, so the water didn't reach them luckily).

Got an amazing video from them taken from the courthouse during the middle of the storm as well.

Edited by ironchapman

^Glad to hear they're all doing alright. Much of the Mississippi Coast looks horrible, and it's really a shame that they really don't get any attention over there. You seem to see something about New Orleans on the national news every day, which of course is great, but I hate the fact that the Mississippi Coast only seems to pop up in the national news once or twice per month. <_<

^ That's because Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson were unable to make it out to the Mississippi Gulf Coast. :sick:

Well there was no "racism" going on there. :rolleyes: But seriously, almost no one has made it to the Mississippi Coast, which is really a shame because right now, New Orleans is in a much better situation then they are, so you can imagine what those people feel like.