It Could Happen Tomorrow

bigboyz05

Has anyone seen or heard about this special on The Weather Channel? It's about what if a certain natural disaster hit a certain city for example they've already done one on San Francisco getting hit by an 8.0 earthquake and New York being inundated by a Cat. 5 hurricane. Next they will explore the possibility of downtown Dallas being pummeled by an F5 tornado. That episode will air this Sunday at either 8 or 8:30 p.m.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and New York being inundated by a Cat. 5 hurricane.

This has become a heavily focused upon topic recently. New York is the third most vulnerable city to a hurricane in the U.S., behind Miami and New Orleans. After what happened with evacuation plans gone very wrong in the city of New Orleans, New York introduced new sets of plans for evacuations in case of a cat. 3+ hurricane making a direct hit on the city, which could actually very likely occur within the next few decades.

I haven't heard of the Ozarks being affected by the New Madrid Fault, I would think more Crowley's Ridge and the Delta.

Of the major cities of Arkansas would you say that Jonesboro is at the most risk of being hit by a New Madrid quake since its closer to that region?

This has become a heavily focused upon topic recently. New York is the third most vulnerable city to a hurricane in the U.S., behind Miami and New Orleans. After what happened with evacuation plans gone very wrong in the city of New Orleans, New York introduced new sets of plans for evacuations in case of a cat. 3+ hurricane making a direct hit on the city, which could actually very likely occur within the next few decades.

It's a shame that it took the deaths of 1,300 people and the near destruction of one of America's greatest cities for people to start taking the risk of being hit by one of these mega storms seriously.

I haven't heard of the Ozarks being affected by the New Madrid Fault, I would think more Crowley's Ridge and the Delta.

Yeah I've always heard that the Ozarks won't be hit as badly. Part of the problem with easter Arkansas is the thick layer of soil. It makes good farmland but it also helps amplify the earthquake. The soil in the Ozarks is very shallow and we have the bedrock very close to the surface. I'm not saying that the eastern Ozarks couldn't take some damage but I don't think an earthquake would hit the Ozarks too hard.

It's a shame that it took the deaths of 1,300 people and the near destruction of one of America's greatest cities for people to start taking the risk of being hit by one of these mega storms seriously.

Yea it is a shame, but it seems to work this way most of the time.

Wasn't it more the precarious location of New Orleans, "living in a bowl" that caused more of the destruction than the storm? Of course the storm caused the levee breaches.

True.

Since the levees broke, the city filled up since it's in a bowl shape. The Floods caused just about all the damage, the storm didn't effect the city more than what one would expect from a normal hurricane.

• 3 weeks later...

Since the levees broke, the city filled up since it's in a bowl shape. The Floods caused just about all the damage, the storm didn't effect the city more than what one would expect from a normal hurricane.

Yea, New Orleans was actually in very good shape after Katrina until the levee's were breached. This is why many say that if you drive around areas of metro New Orleans that didn't flood because of levee breaches, you see destruction from a natural disaster, but if you drive around Orleans, Saint Bernard, or Plquemines Parish's, you see the result of a man made disaster.

• 2 months later...

An episode about an earthquake at the New Madrid Fault and its effects on Memphis airs this Sunday evening.

It looks at the possibility of the collapse of the DeSoto Bridge.

cvb_memphis_desoto_bridge.jpg

what a great pic of the hernando de soto bridge!!! by the way, they have been retrofitting the bridge for years so that it will be earthquake resistant but the other two bridges will definitely collapse in an earthquake as would most of Downtown Memphis!

Archived