Triangle Towne Center

perrykat

Actually, the brawl had a stabbing as well. So this is the second stabbing in 2 years. The other link you posted shows 2 more stabbings in 2005.

The police called this incident "gang related", which in my opinion would be dangerous to chalk up as an "isolated incident". Communities that deny there is a gang problem tend to get overrun by them.

RPD being called to TTC 700 times in 4 months? That may be normal in your neighborhood, but I call that a crime problem.

Yes I am aware of the stabbing in the brawl. Fact of the matter is, 1 stabbing a year may be "high" for Raleigh, but its low in comparison to cities around its size. RPD was called to TTC 700 times in 4 months in 2005. Apparently you haven't read the article in link I posted in my last post, which has has TTC at around 68 calls for the entire year so far, far less than the 2005 statistics you are screaming about. 2005 statistics are irrelevant at this point in a city growing as fast as this and no, 700 times in 4 months is not normal in my neighborhood, the cheapest home is $550,000 where I'm at. Roughly 83% of those calls were for fender-benders caused by their crazy parking lot because people don't stop at the stop signs. I don't consider fender-benders crime, more like poor planning and negligence on the part of the driver.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I am aware of the stabbing in the brawl. Fact of the matter is, 1 stabbing a year may be "high" for Raleigh, but its low in comparison to cities around its size. RPD was called to TTC 700 times in 4 months in 2005. Apparently you haven't read the article in link I posted in my last post, which has has TTC at around 68 calls for the entire year so far, far less than the 2005 statistics you are screaming about. 2005 statistics are irrelevant at this point in a city growing as fast as this and no, 700 times in 4 months is not normal in my neighborhood, the cheapest home is $550,000 where I'm at. Roughly 83% of those calls were for fender-benders caused by their crazy parking lot because people don't stop at the stop signs. I don't consider fender-benders crime, more like poor planning and negligence on the part of the driver.

You are right. There is no crime problem at TTC. It's just fender benders. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

They repainted the outside of the Big K and freshened it up a bit, but not much else. As far as the parking goes, they completely reconfigured and repaved it. They added a bunch of landscaping and the shopping center overall looks much better than it did beforehand. The interior of the Big K got a bit of a facelift as well. They really should have made the Big K facade brick like the remainder of the center and the whole area would have looked new.

TTC implements new rules beginning Oct. 3rd, including banning teens from the mall after 5pm on Fri and Sat without a parent/guardian: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/wake/story/1225623.html

Since they can no longer congregate there, it will be intersting to see where they end up going. North Hills doesn't have any rules regarding teens that I know of and there is very little security around there, so my bet is North Hills could end up with many of them. I have no idea what Crabtree's rules are, but I'm sure there will be some that try to congregate there as well now.

North Hills doesn't have any rules regarding teens that I know of and there is very little security around there, so my bet is North Hills could end up with many of them. I have no idea what Crabtree's rules are, but I'm sure there will be some that try to congregate there as well now.
I'm thinking Crabtree. There's not much for teens to do at North hills.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As of a week or two ago, the sherrif's warnings were still on the shuttered Cinelli brothers' split fine/causal Italian restaurant, leaving the old Bamboo Club space an empty shell to walk by to get to Twisted Fork, Ted's Montana Grill, Orvis, etc.

The inside of the mall seemed to be doing ok with a fair amout of traffic, though they may have been bargain shopping. I didn't notice any other shuttered stores, though I didn't walk the whole lenght on both floors.

• 3 months later...

Not about the mall in specific, but its in the immediate vicinity. I have some really sad news.....

Cheviot Hills Golf course is.......

Being turned into a bunch of car dealerships!!!

Like Capital needs anymore of these...

On another note, there is a shopping center planned for the corner of Perry Creek/Capital:

http://www.gbtrealty.com/docs/Crossings%20...v(2)%20flat.pdf

I won't complain about that one other than the excessive parking. A grocery store will do good on this corner, being in walking distance of a ton of townhouses and single-family homes. They just need to make it walkable and its good to go.

Those car dealerships have been planned for about 2 years and that Perry Creek corner has had proposals dating to the late 80's. Kiss two of the last remaining ruralesque vestages of the area goodbye. The Capital/Perry Creek intersection used to be a village called Neuse, and before then was called Dunnsvile for the many Dunn family homes in the area. When I moved to the area in 1987 there was still a rural post office in a cinder block strip where the Hardees is. The SW corner had an(maybe has some dying left) apple orchard. The NE corner had a big farmhouse back in the woods (driveway still visible off Perry Creek.

and while we are at it let's add 2 more lanes to it so the blvd can officially be featured in the song "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot"

This could be possibly the most humorous thing I've read on UP ever, lol. :)

• 1 month later...

I can't believe that the city has let the owners of the old golf course clear 191 acres of trees. It looks like a vast wasteland now going up Capital and owners have not submitted any site plans to the city for the area, other than to clear those trees. Apparently the auto dealerships that own pieces of the property have not plans at this time of building new dealerships with the fallout of automakers and lack of credit available.

http://www.northraleighnews.com/news/story/461.html

It does look bad. Honestly though, I think it could be a good thing. I would be quite happy if the dealerships on Wake Forest Rd. moved up there. That would free up a lot of space for urban infill in "midtown". I know that it was Leith and Crossroads that owns land up there, but it never hurts to dream.

What miffs me is how all the folks who subscribe to the good life...life with strip shopping centers, office parks surrounded with huge parking lots, subdivisions where everyone gets a pie-shaped cul-de-sac lot, all connected by 6 lanes of interstate....these being the folks complaining about this piece of land being clear cut....how they do not see the irony of their choices....

I once saw a chevy suburban with a bumper sticker that said "save the earth".....?? I suppose I should not be surprised....

I think the area they branded as midtown was a bit premature. I will say that I believe that the area will indeed grow into the area they are already purporting it to be. I totally expected uptown to be the triangle town center area since it is due north of midtown. Plus, the TTC slogan is "It's hometown. It's uptown."

Meeker is the one who ran on stopping clearcutting, BTW.

While I agree with y'all about clearcutting, I think Raleigh needs to take an initiative to remove half of the trees inside the beltline. Many neighborhoods are looking overgrown, and mold is a real health problem. Ride down St. Mary's Street, through Country Club Hills, and all through the Ridge Road areas. You can hardly see more than one house at a time because so much stuff is overgrown.

I disagree. Having large trees is not only attractive, but also makes outdoor spaces more pleasant during our (long and hot summers), cuts down on the urban heat island, and probably saves on cooling costs too. My house is on a lot with a bunch of "overgrown" trees. Thanks to the tree canopy, the back yard and porch are useable during the summer. The house is old and doesn't have a lot of insulation to speak of (that's on our to-do list) but the house stays cooler than you might otherwise expect in the summer.

Mold can be managed easily. (I assume you're talking about exterior mold?) Just power wash the house every year or two.

There's gotta be some happy medium between clearcutting and protecting each and every tree as if it were as valuable as a human life.

I'm not talking about big trees. I'm talking about too many trees and too many low-lying, poorly kept trees.

Powerwashing only removes mold from the surface of your house, which is only a cosmetic issue. I'm talking about mold growing all over the walls of the house, in the yard, in the insulation, crawl space, etc. (This is extremely common with houses inside the beltline. Hug a lot of women and you'll smell the mold ha ha - seriously, though, I smell it fairly often on people)

This is the stuff that makes people sick and it is primarily the result of too many trees that a) harbor mold and b) restrict good airflow.

Archived