Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

I had yet another miserable day...

A girl who used to sit on the other side of the partition moved next to me I think on Monday or Tuesday. We get to bring our music to listen to on our headphones and after a couple of interruptions from her she told me, "Might as well take the headphones off, I like to talk." So talk she did. And kept bugging me to go to Little Man with her, she'd pay. I wasn't interested and suggested other movies to which she said no. Then she threw in Outback. I said no. One of the guys, who I had just gone to dinner to celebrate his birthday last Saturday, asked her, didn't she have a boyfriend to which she said "So? He won't say anything." The answer was still no from me so she got upset and has basically been Miss Attitude all week. At the end of the first day, when I wanted to say something, she told me to shut up, that I talk too much. She'd repeat that or I'm as funny as I look, or I do stupid things. Those stupid things include, yawning, stretching, scratching, and looking in her general direction. Oh yeah each of those actions is also "nasty." She'll glance over at me whenever I do anything or even just when I'd doing nothing but looking at the screen and shake her head.

So near the end of the day, I scratched my underarm on her side. She looked at me and put her shirt over her nose. So I took that arm and moved closer to her which caused her to jump out her seat into the next. The trainer on the otherside of the partition where this girl used to sit only heard what was going on. She asked what happened, if someone fell and the girl told her I tried to put my underarm on her then threatened to punch me (for the second time today) if she saw me in the parking lot. A substitute trainer who did see went to the other side and told her. So then the one on the other side wanted to talk to me and took me into the hallway and told me I was unprofessional and whatever we had going on needed to stop. My half explanation sounded more like a kindergarten excuse. She said she'd end up moving one of us, to which I objected my moving since I had that seat since April and all my stuff is on that computer. I felt really bad about the whole thing which was not worth that. It was blown out of proportion. I said I'll just leave this project.

Now earlier in the day the same trainer had to wake me after dozing for a second and told me to wake up and that I fall asleep everyday. As if I didn't know that. I never notice when I drift and nothing works. I've been drinking coffee and Mountain Dew in the mornings. I gave up coffee after a problem arose and I read it was an irritant. The job is thoroughly boring with not much talking amongst ourselves and it just puts me to sleep. Even standing didn't help. I can never get to bed early. I would probably need to go to bed at 9 to get up at 6 but it's too early for me. I never had a problem with my second shift jobs and this position only has a 8 - 4 or in my case 4:30 shift (I take a half hour lunch). So judging from the trainer's tone, she had enough and so have I. It's very frustrating to me and I guess she just thinks I'm slacking. Then twice today she caught some small mistakes in my work, which isn't that bad for me since it's been weeks and I'm starting new training where it's good to catch them early. But it makes me feel even more worthless and stupid.

I tried calling Kelly Services after work, probably about 4:40, 4:45 and they hung up on me. It sounded just like when people hung up on us in collections, so I'm finished with them too. It must be too much to ask for me to find happiness in my work and to be able to get myself out of my hole. Everyone is better than I am... I accept that now. So I hope that's news enough for you.

Continued from What should our region be called?, Vote for your choice or suggest another

Cadeho were do you live, it must not be in Richmond or anywhere near downtown, because I can't believe you haven't seen the housing boom and the population boom and business boom in downtown and areas around it in Richmond. White people (not to put them on the spot) are living in Jackson Ward (traditionally a neighborhood for Black people). Businesses are coming back to Broad St, Grace St, Main St, Cary St, and Franklin st. Shockoe is back on track. So I can't believe you haven't seen the population boom in people coming from New York, New Jersey and California NOT JUST TO RICHMOND but to the HAMPTON ROADS too.

JWCJ, did you forget what you wrote? You said that we have our highways because we're about to have a boom in population. Our highway system is almost 50 years old. The planning for the others are just about that same age and have taken this long to be completed. And surely I-95, I-64, and I-85 weren't created because someone thought,"Hey, Richmond's gonna boom in the 2000s if we build them!"

And what do white in "Jackson Ward" have anything to do with anything. White people live all over the city! Don't think Jackson Ward started out black and most of what WAS Jackson Ward is gone (north of Leigh and Jackson toward the northern bluffs of Shockoe Hill overlooking Bacon's Quarter Branch), the voting district started along Jackson St, west to the 1867 city limit (Lombardy), along Bacon's Quarter Branch to about today's Hospital and Oliver Hill (again following the 1867 limit) down through Butchertown in northern Shockoe Valley to 18th and Broad and up Broad to 14th, to Marshall and 13th, to Clay and 12th, to Shockoe Creek, to a branch to near 5th and Jackson.... THAT's Jackson Ward, the black voting district. You're thinking about what was part of Clay, Monroe and Madison Wards which would later become black.

And while I'm talking about a neighborhood, I hope you know the Fan is not downtown and that that name came about in the 1950s. Church Hill is a small neighborhood but other neighborhoods get sucked into it... and the projects are basically squatters in other neighborhoods, not neighborhoods themselves.

Businesses may be coming back to downtown but remember it was those highways that helped send them away. Shockoe Bottom is good but could always be better. And yeah people are still moving southward but it's more than because a highway runs through the city.

Dude, my family lives and Jackson Ward and my Garandmother's from Jackson Ward and she's Black and We've seen how the Caucasian population in the area has boomed since 2004.

On the other thing you said I said about I95, I64, and I85 do not go under what I was talking about the population boom, I maybe didn't seperate them. We do have all of the highways because all of them come into our metro. Not for a population boom. Now in Short Pump you can accually say that Highway project is for Population boom because of West broad villiage and the house that are going there and, for what is already there traffic jams and rush hour. And everyone nows that more homes and people will move to that area.

Also Jackson Ward North and South (Up top - Down Bottom) were both conected and the part of jackson ward around 2 st is what I'm talling about. I know your not saying I dumb, but to make it clear I'm not. I call it by how I see it and how it effects the area around me not in Henrico not to put them out, but I live in the city.

I hope know you understand where I'm coming from.

Cam, you are quite the accurate historian. I think you ought to check out possibilities with Historic Richmond and other groups where your knowledge could be put to use.

One correction. I lived in The Fan for quite a while before the 1950s and we called it by that name. When I was at Thomas Jefferson High (and I won't say what century :lol:) all of us kids who lived just below the Boulevard called it The Fan. I've forgotten the diving line, but those in my area of The Fan went to TJ. If you lived east of, say Sheilds Avenue, you went to John Marshall.

On the other hand, The Museum District is a relative new coinage.

Edited by burt

Dude, my family lives and Jackson Ward and my Garandmother's from Jackson Ward and she's Black and We've seen how the Caucasian population in the area has boomed since 2004.

On the other thing you said I said about I95, I64, and I85 do not go under what I was talking about the population boom, I maybe didn't seperate them. We do have all of the highways because all of them come into our metro. Not for a population boom. Now in Short Pump you can accually say that Highway project is for Population boom because of West broad villiage and the house that are going there and, for what is already there traffic jams and rush hour. And everyone nows that more homes and people will move to that area.

Also Jackson Ward North and South (Up top - Down Bottom) were both conected and the part of jackson ward around 2 st is what I'm talling about. I know your not saying I dumb, but to make it clear I'm not. I call it by how I see it and how it effects the area around me not in Henrico not to put them out, but I live in the city.

I hope know you understand where I'm coming from.

My question is why does it matter if whites live in the neighborhood? And believe me, I wish the Richmond-Peteresburg Turnpike's route took it along the tracks in the valley to keep Jackson Ward as a whole. But Gilpin has already destroyed a good section of it and after the highway went through, the rest fell apart. I guess I could acknowledge the current neighborhood south of Leigh but in a city that's over 50% black, it really shouldn't matter where anyone lives.

PublicWorks1923map.jpg

1923 map of Richmond's black population from the Dept of Public Works.

Thanks Burt. I guess I can try them again, but it was volunteer work that they had open last time I checked and frankly, I need money and more of it now than I needed then. Plus if I ever did get that new house in Fulton, would they look at me as evil that a preservationist would choose a new house? Well I don't want to ever lose this one and it's my reason for my liking Richmond history and architecture. However, I've said somewhere else on here, I have a thing about having what someone else had before, unless it came from family. Some places you never know what you're going to get... like if a murder happened there or something horriffic. Sure, some family members died here (in both my rooms here) but they were family and died naturally.

Oh and about the Fan, I mean officially, citywide acknowledgement of the name. I was using information in the book Richmond's Fan District and Mary Wingfield Scott's 1950 book. It's always great to read your recollections. I just love them!

Edited by Cadeho

You are a good historian, but you need to see it from another side. Black people still are abit angry against whites. I'm not as angry because I don't go throw racism, because the Hispanic and Arab in me show more then the black and black people don't know I'm half black they think I'm Puerto Rican.

But to get back on subject it matter because it shows the city is finally mixing and people are moving closer to downtown. And thisaffect the african american community living there by many "xenophobia" at first but that of couse will cool off between them, but it's good the city is mixing and growing downtown.

Glad your back TBurtan or as I call 'im or 'er TBurn!

On the other hand, The Museum District is a relative new coinage.

I moved here in '98 and it's new since then. Only after I'd lived in said neighborhood for 2-3 years did I hear that term. I heard West of the Boulevard, Upper Fan, and Benedictine as neighborhood names all the time though.

I thought you were in Church Hill?

I am now* but from 1998-2004 I was a Museum District resident.

*but I'm in the midst of moving to Westover Hills, and much like my time in Church Hill, it won't be in the more upscale and polished parts...

Awwww why you wanna go over there?

Because that's where my girlfriend owns a house, and she asked me. :) I really didn't want to leave Church Hill, but I've really become enamoured with Westover the last year or so. I love that it's a quick walk to the river for dog walking purposes, I can ride my bike without my out-of-shape ass having to climb back up the hill on my hands and knees, and it's still a 5-minute walk to several restaurants/bars. And the neighborhood (which is not technically Westover Hills, since it's south of Forest Hill, and the WH Neighborhood Association apparently doesn't acknowledge our existence over here) is really up and coming. We've got a great bunch of folks of various races & ages who are all looking out for the neighborhood and each other, which is exactly how it's supposed to work.

Because that's where my girlfriend owns a house, and she asked me. :) I really didn't want to leave Church Hill, but I've really become enamoured with Westover the last year or so. I love that it's a quick walk to the river for dog walking purposes, I can ride my bike without my out-of-shape ass having to climb back up the hill on my hands and knees, and it's still a 5-minute walk to several restaurants/bars. And the neighborhood (which is not technically Westover Hills, since it's south of Forest Hill, and the WH Neighborhood Association apparently doesn't acknowledge our existence over here) is really up and coming. We've got a great bunch of folks of various races & ages who are all looking out for the neighborhood and each other, which is exactly how it's supposed to work.

The hill coming up from the Nickel Bridge isn't exactly a cakewalk though. :D

I keep passing by this little restaurant just east of Westover Hills Boulevard on the South Side of Forest Hill avenue. Has a nice little outdoor deck and interesting looking lighting but the sign hanging outside is too small to read when driving by. Do you know the name of the place and what kind of food they serve?

I keep passing by this little restaurant just east of Westover Hills Boulevard on the South Side of Forest Hill avenue. Has a nice little outdoor deck and interesting looking lighting but the sign hanging outside is too small to read when driving by. Do you know the name of the place and what kind of food they serve?

Cielito Lindo, a great little Tex-Mex place. The sign is actually fairly new- for a long time, there was no identification outside at all. The place fills up quickly, especially when the weather's nice.