Another Tear Down?

colajnp

I heard a nasty rumor today. Can anyone confirm this one? Someone told me that the people who own One Main are teaming up with an out of town developer and want to tear down One Main and the two historical buildings next to it (I believe where the Restaurant is and also the newstand). They want to tear down those buildings and put in a condo project. This would be almost criminal. I think the charm of Main St is some of these older buildings with character (some should go I agree) and preserving them should be a priority for Columbia officials and the citizens. Don't get me wrong, i am all for progression but not with these kind of landmarks. There is plenty of land in Columbia for new developments, let not destroy all of our history. I hope this is not true but fear with more out of town developers coming in like they said in the paper, the less they will be worried about the character of our city.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure the Historic Columbia Foundation would expend all of its resources to ensure that One Main Street never gets torn down.

One building I wish the city never tore down is the Jefferson Hotel. I saw it in a book on Columbia's history; I will try to scan the picture and share it with you guys in the near future.

My understanding is that number one Main Street will be converted to condos, not torn down. Channel 25 just moved in there on a long-term lease.

Wow, and are they proud of it. I watched some of the news after the Rose Bowl and the defeat of the illegitimate USC. Every 5 seconds they were pushing downtown, main & gervais, main st, the state house, etc. Which I suppose it is a nice improvement from being located in Charlotte.....

I'm sure the Historic Columbia Foundation would expend all of its resources to ensure that One Main Street never gets torn down.

One building I wish the city never tore down is the Jefferson Hotel. I saw it in a book on Columbia's history; I will try to scan the picture and share it with you guys in the near future.

Another sad loss for Columbia was the old Columbia Hotel that sat on the corner of Gervais and Sumter. What a beautiful old building with a ceramic tile facade, crystal chandeliers and much marble in the lobby. The upper floors were a white or light yellow brick (I forget which).

.............................................................................. :huh:

I heard a nasty rumor today. Can anyone confirm this one? Someone told me that the people who own One Main are teaming up with an out of town developer and want to tear down One Main and the two historical buildings next to it (I believe where the Restaurant is and also the newstand). They want to tear down those buildings and put in a condo project. This would be almost criminal. I think the charm of Main St is some of these older buildings with character (some should go I agree) and preserving them should be a priority for Columbia officials and the citizens. Don't get me wrong, i am all for progression but not with these kind of landmarks. There is plenty of land in Columbia for new developments, let not destroy all of our history. I hope this is not true but fear with more out of town developers coming in like they said in the paper, the less they will be worried about the character of our city.

Hope this is not true. It would be a true shame on the developer

Another sad loss for Columbia was the old Columbia Hotel that sat on the corner of Gervais and Sumter. What a beautiful old building with a ceramic tile facade, crystal chandeliers and much marble in the lobby. The upper floors were a white or light yellow brick (I forget which).

.............................................................................. :huh:

Is this the one you're speaking of (picture from Waccamatt's website):

hotcol.jpg

Looks similar to Barringer. I wouldn't mind a new hotel or condo tower in Columbia imitating a historical architectural style like that, IF it could be pulled off.

^I haven't been impressed with WIS as of late for some reason.

I can attest that WIS was sucking when I left Cola. I was watching WLTX half of the time. I can't say what its like now, but I know that did like the new WOLO.

I thought the building that they tore down was called the Pendleton?

Archived