Everything Conway

Honestly, I was told that ASU-Jonesboro (the school I currently attend) is a Division 1-A school now. Our teams play other major schools such as Auburn and other schools. We can go to the NCAA D 1-A tourney. I believe UCA can't enter that tourney because they are D-1AA. Go Indians!!!

There is really only a difference between I-AA and I-A in football. In fact there are several of the I-AA conferences that year in and year out field better basketball team than some of I-A conferences. I-AA schools can and always do play in the NCAA tourney. Technically in sports like basketball, all the I-AA and I-A teams are considered D1.

There is really only a difference between I-AA and I-A in football. In fact there are several of the I-AA conferences that year in and year out field better basketball team than some of I-A conferences. I-AA schools can and always do play in the NCAA tourney. Technically in sports like basketball, all the I-AA and I-A teams are considered D1.

I don't recall any I-AA teams being in the tourney. I remember that I was told they have their own tourney for I-AA. But okay.

Murray State (Ohio Valley), Northern Iowa (Mo Valley/Gateway), Southern Univ. (SWAC) all played in the tourney last year and are just a few of the teams that come from what would be considered I-AA football conferences, D1 basketball conferences.

I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just a nerd about that stuff.

Edited by hogwash

Murray State (Ohio Valley), Northern Iowa (Mo Valley/Gateway), Southern Univ. (SWAC) all played in the tourney last year and are just a few of the teams that come from what would be considered I-AA football conferences, D1 basketball conferences.

I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just a nerd about that stuff.

Okay. I admit I was wrong. Thanks for letting me know. I learn something new everyday. LOL.

Honestly, I was told that ASU-Jonesboro (the school I currently attend) is a Division 1-A school now. Our teams play other major schools such as Auburn and other schools. We can go to the NCAA D 1-A tourney. I believe UCA can't enter that tourney because they are D-1AA. Go Indians!!!

Not to pile on top of you in your hour of shame, :) but here are some more Arkansas State facts for you.

ASU has been playing I-A football for 15 years. Their current stint as a Division I-A school (which applies to football only) began in 1992. However, they were original members of I-A when the classification was created in 1978. They dropped to I-AA (again, a classification that only applies to football) in 1982.

The Indians have been in Division I since 1975. The Division I classification applies to all sports except football. This division includes the NCAA Tournament and the NCAA College World Series. There are five Division I schools in Arkansas -- UA, ASU, UCA, UALR & UAPB.

Not to pile on top of you in your hour of shame, :) but here are some more Arkansas State facts for you.

ASU has been playing I-A football for 15 years. Their current stint as a Division I-A school (which applies to football only) began in 1992. However, they were original members of I-A when the classification was created in 1978. They dropped to I-AA (again, a classification that only applies to football) in 1982.

The Indians have been in Division I since 1975. The Division I classification applies to all sports except football. This division includes the NCAA Tournament and the NCAA College World Series. There are five Division I schools in Arkansas -- UA, ASU, UCA, UALR & UAPB.

Are you sure about UAPB being Division 1? UCA only started that this year.

You are correct (see here: http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/teams). I didn't realize that their basketball team was Division I.

The IAA designation only applies to football. All IAA teams in football are DI in all other sports. In fact, teams that don't field football teams like UALR usually are just considered "DI".

Now technically I'm pretty sure the NCAA voted this year to eliminate the "IAA" designation and replaced it with something like Div I, Junior Member or something when applied to football.

UAPB moved up to IAA almost immediately when the NAIA was in decline because it only really fit with the historically black colleges and the SWAC was a good opportunity for them. UCA was a much better fit for DII at the time and few NAIA schools jumped straight to DIAA.

Now technically I'm pretty sure the NCAA voted this year to eliminate the "IAA" designation and replaced it with something like Div I, Junior Member or something when applied to football.

Division I-A is now known as the Division I Football Bowl Subdivision.

Division I-AA is now known as the Division I Football Championship Subdivision.

Personally, I think the new titles are sort of corny. I think that everyone will still call refer to teams as I-A and I-AA. And I think that entirely too many people will continue to understand that I-A/I-AA only applies to football.

Ive got a question for everyone. If you've ever been to downtown conway you know that its got a lot of charm but its very underdeveloped. Id just like to hear from some other people on what you think could kickstart that area aside from Mike's Place and Michelangelo's and the obvious boon that a wet county would provide. My idea would be to try to convince Barnes and Nobles to locate somewhere downtown. possibly on the road heading towards Hendrix. I think a presence like Band N would cause explosive growth but thats just me. I hope to hear some other ideas.

thanks.

Lets Start A Petetion To Make Faulkner County WET!

• 2 weeks later...

As a college student here in Conway I believe a Barnes and Noble would be great. And putting it downtown would be even better.

I think the only reason Conway lacks a Barnes and Noble is because of the heavy volume of books Hastings carries. A downtown store would be cool but I'd bet if one went in it would be in the middle of town near Oak and I-40 somewhere near the new Target and other developments.

I think the only reason Conway lacks a Barnes and Noble is because of the heavy volume of books Hastings carries. A downtown store would be cool but I'd bet if one went in it would be in the middle of town near Oak and I-40 somewhere near the new Target and other developments.

True. The developments here in Conway mirror those in Little Rock in that they keep moving further and further away from the city's core. Hastings does have a variety of books but it doesn't have the same air and feel of a Barnes and Noble. It's kind of like a watered down version.

Did you know that there is a Best Buy being built just across from the Target in Conway?

True. The developments here in Conway mirror those in Little Rock in that they keep moving further and further away from the city's core. Hastings does have a variety of books but it doesn't have the same air and feel of a Barnes and Noble. It's kind of like a watered down version.

Did you know that there is a Best Buy being built just across from the Target in Conway?

I didn't know it but I'm not surprised.

Hastings used to be big in Little Rock as well. There were two West LR stores and the one at Markham and Bowman was massive - it was two stories and quite a bit larger than the new one in Conway. Circuit City and Best Buy came in and then Books a Million and Barnes and Noble followed. Apparently Hastings makes very little on rentals, CD/DVD and book sales are most of their business. This forced them to sell their LR stores to Blockbuster. If Best Buy and a Barnes and Noble come into Conway, Hastings won't last.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just curious, what do non-college-affiliated Conway residents think of the urban village that Hendrix is building? Are they excited, would they have preferred that the college work with the city in redeveloping the actual downtown rather than just creating it's own, artificial downtown, do they see it as an encroachment on their own style of city building, etc?

I certainly see where Hendrix is coming from, but the school is only 6 or 8 blocks from downtown, and that area has a lot of potential, IMO.

Any thoughts?

Just curious, what do non-college-affiliated Conway residents think of the urban village that Hendrix is building? Are they excited, would they have preferred that the college work with the city in redeveloping the actual downtown rather than just creating it's own, artificial downtown, do they see it as an encroachment on their own style of city building, etc?

I certainly see where Hendrix is coming from, but the school is only 6 or 8 blocks from downtown, and that area has a lot of potential, IMO.

Any thoughts?

I'm not the exact person you're asking as I'm a Hendrix alum. I think Hendrix wanted to create this so that it would be easily walkable for Hendrix students, keeping the campus amenities within a short walk. Downtown is close but still more of a drive than a walk for most Hendrix residents. It's easy to see where the college is coming from.

The NYT article made Conway sound like the sticks and really missed the fact that Conway has a moderate-sized downtown a few blocks away.

I think what Conway really needs is a more liberalized alcohol policy. A few bars and restaurants would pop up rather quickly downtown and I think Conway's downtown could do what Fayetteville did a decade ago, just to a lesser degree.

There are now nearly 13,000+ college students in Conway, only a thousand of which are at Hendrix. I don't see that urban village there as impeding downtown's development. The more that is near downtown, the more that downtown will benefit.

I'm not the exact person you're asking as I'm a Hendrix alum. I think Hendrix wanted to create this so that it would be easily walkable for Hendrix students, keeping the campus amenities within a short walk. Downtown is close but still more of a drive than a walk for most Hendrix residents. It's easy to see where the college is coming from.

The NYT article made Conway sound like the sticks and really missed the fact that Conway has a moderate-sized downtown a few blocks away.

I think what Conway really needs is a more liberalized alcohol policy. A few bars and restaurants would pop up rather quickly downtown and I think Conway's downtown could do what Fayetteville did a decade ago, just to a lesser degree.

There are now nearly 13,000+ college students in Conway, only a thousand of which are at Hendrix. I don't see that urban village there as impeding downtown's development. The more that is near downtown, the more that downtown will benefit.

I went to Hendrix. I lived in Clifton Street Apartments, as well as a house on Hwy 60 just west of Charles Morgan's old Conway residence. I also drove a fork lift for Linn's Truck Salvage and worked at Acxiom.

Compared to NYC Conway IS the sticks. You recall the manure that got dumped because of gay pride parade. You may need to make an appointment with an ophthalmologist if you see Conway's downtown as "moderate-sized." I could throw a frisbee over the buildings from one end of downtown to the other.

Conway's liquor laws = freak'n joke.

Anything Hendrix wants to do they can do... that college is the best thing in higher ed that Arkansas has going for it.

Any thoughts?

I love the idea. I wouldn't call it artificial in sense that its not its going to be a Disney themepark or something. If Hendrix doesn't feel they'll need the land in the future what's wrong with developing it. Also, its not that the project is sprawl, its infill right? It might spill over into downtown eventually who knows?

Edited by hogwash