Bring Back The Whale!!!

GHartford

Yeah, but they where still losing money in Vancouver and ownwership wanted to move. I agree Memphis was a bad choice.

Their owner didn't like vancouver, and he was hell bent on moving after his friend sold the team to him. All pretty shady to me. Kind of like the situation with Pete and the whalers.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't forget about your handy-dandy Manage Ignored Users feature under Options in your control panel. I just added CanesFan98 to my list. POOF, he is gone!

Why would he be CaneFan98, anyway? They stole our team in 1997. But, I guess I'll never know because I'll never see his replies again. :D

Wasn't HCC recently renovated?

Not really, only the retail component of the old mall was demolished and a new luxury high rise apartment tower was built with new street facing retail space and office space. The colosseum was upgraded a few years ago, but nothing I wouldn't mind seeing torn down to make way for a brand new arena elsewhere downtown and an additional tower, retail, and maybe skating rink on the old HCC site as Northland has now proposed.

Putting money into that arena is throwing good money after bad. All H21 did was highlight the need to tear it down and build new. It is a third class arena at best, and no amount of retrofitting would make it major league ready. Capacity is not the issue. The issue is luxury boxes, club seats, concourses, bathrooms, loading, advertising rings, the exterior, etc.

I don't know how long the New Haven Colosseum had been defunct...but now that it is torn down wouldn't that make the Civic Center the only major arena in Central Connecticut...shouldn't that be incentive to rebuild it bigger?

I agree. Let's use our downtown space for more high density residential projects and amenities. The new arena, as we've envisioned it in this forum, should be part of a much larger mixed-use complex located in an area that has room for it (like that in front of the Crown Plaza).

• 2 weeks later...

Cool....

http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-whale...headlines-local

Developer Shops For NHL Team

Downtown's Largest Landlord Looks To Build Support For Arena

April 6, 2006

By JEFFREY B. COHEN And PAUL DOYLE, Courant Staff Writers Lawrence R. Gottesdiener - downtown Hartford's largest landlord - said Wednesday that he has begun shopping for an NHL franchise because he thinks the best way to convince investors and politicians to build a new sports arena in the city is to have a team in his portfolio first.

Cool....

April 6, 2006

By JEFFREY B. COHEN And PAUL DOYLE, Courant Staff Writers Lawrence R. Gottesdiener - downtown Hartford's largest landlord - said Wednesday that he has begun shopping for an NHL franchise because he thinks the best way to convince investors and politicians to build a new sports arena in the city is to have a team in his portfolio first.

You beat me to it. I was just going to post this. This is great news though. I personally think our chances are looking good right now. We will be major league again, like I have said repeatedly!!! I can't wait until the day that those announcements come.

Cool....

April 6, 2006

Looks like we might be able to get some answers from this years Whalers FANniversary/Rally:

"event will be held in the former Mall area [The Atrium]; this is the area immediately adjacent to the Coliseum's box office and main entrance and large enough to accommodate the numbers we are expecting. The event will be held from 6:00PM to 9:00PM on Thursday, April 13, 2006"

Including speakers: Governor M. Jodi Rell, Connecticut Speaker of the House Jim Amann, Hartford Mayor Eddie Perez, Larry Gottesdiener, Northland Investment Corporation, and Howard Baldwin, Baldwin Entertainment Group.

For more information go here: http://www.whalerwatch.com/page7.html

This is great news, I just hope the state doesn't turn their back and not give any support when the time comes. If we can't get NHL, NBA would be a great choice. There are a few teams who wouldn'tmind a change, Seatle, Atlanta, Memphis, Toronto, and maybe Golden State?

I think that I might be alone on this one but I think I would actually like to see the NBA in Hartford instead of the NHL. My main reason is because I don't think that the NHL will be around in 15-20 years. That entire league is in shambles and Gary Bettman should be unemployed by now. But I would love see them both here together if that's possible.

I think that I might be alone on this one but I think I would actually like to see the NBA in Hartford instead of the NHL. But I would love see them both here together.

I may be leaning that way too. Back when the Whalers were around I was a HUGE hockey fan, but ever since I've almost completely lost interest in the NHL. I think some of that has to do with the fact that the NHL is no longer even considered one of the "Big 4" professional leagues. I wouldn't call myself a huge fan of the NBA either, but I do like it more than the NHL.

I'll be happy with either league coming to town. I just want to get Hartford back on the major league sports scene.

Anyone get the feeling that this has all been orchestrated? It's no slam dunk but I'm getting the feeling the state, city, and Larry have been planning this all out.

Judging by who was selected to run the CDA study, it pretty much confirms my previous assertion that it's simply a shill to garner support for a new arena.

Developer Hints at Moving NHL's Penguins to Hartford

April 7, 2006 01:11 PM EDT

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- A Massachusetts developer wants to buy the Penguins and either keep the hockey team in the city or move them to Hartford where he is trying to get state officials to build a new arena, according to media reports.

Lawrence Gottesdiener told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that he owns a great deal of property in Hartford, so moving the team there makes sense for him.

WFSB Story

Archived