Bring Back The Whale!!!

GHartford

• 3 months later...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Malloy is still maintaining that there are real talks taking place so hope is still alive. I'm glad Jeff Jacobs is turning up the pressure on him to provide more details to the public though. A lot of people want to know if this is actually something to start to hope for or not.

agreed HT

Id like to see a team come here but interestingly I see the arena being more important than just a team.  I want whatever it is to be in Hartford, because Hartford needs an Arena, and so does UConn

I think that with a new arena, bigger confreences would pay notice, and we would get some significant payback by hosting NCAA regionals also etc...

If we had a team, the arena would make even more sense, but I think building a new arena in downtown Hartford has the ability to be mega transformative.

I mean if it can be a larger development and be street friendly and include other things like hotel space, street front retail, maybe even some housing I could see a large swath of Hartford to be completely rejuvinqated

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

http://www.si.com/nhl/2014/08/26/report-toronto-seattle-quebec-city-join-vegas-2017-nhl-expansion

Uh-oh.... if this is true, it is devastating news for the Whale faithful.

Sorry I started a separate thread on this. 

This is actually very good news. More teams will make it easier for Hartford to get a team.  And it was not realistic to think that a team would come to Hartford given the current arena situation. This may help provide some impetus to build a new arena to become attractive to the Tampas of the NHL as a relocation city. There will be movement.

No one should view this as bad news.

cool numbers.

I say this though.  those small Canadian markets are besides Quebec, just too small.

the only option I see ever happening after Toronto 2 and Quebec City is a combined Maritime team.  

This would be a team shared by St John, Halifax and a few other maritime cities like St Johns and 

Sudbury and Saskatoon just don't have the population.  All of Western Ontario is full of mining and timber industry.  the populations is extremely sparse.  Heck, Sudbury and Thunderbay are listed like one city but they are like hundreds of miles apart and may not even be accessible by major roads to each other.   its kind of a joke to list them like that.  while I dont doubt they are hockey crazed, the 500K population is for an area the size of .... Texas plus maybe NY State

Saskatoon is at least a provincial capital, but its just super tiny and Saskatchewan is less than a million people in the whole province.  and the province is frekin enormous!!!

Winnepeg was already a stretch in terms of market size and area in the Canadian plains.  The Jets need to draw from the region and putting a team in Saskatoon takes away from their ability to do so.  

the other Canadian cities listed are too close to existing NHL Markets

Sherbrooke is prettymuch between Quebec City and Montreal.   I think bringing the Nordiques back gives them a legit alternate to the Habs and no real need for a team.

So, again, tate that list and eliminate the rediculous.... and then check of the current expansion rumors of Seattle, Toronto 2 , Quebec City and Vegas.. and we are ligitimately ranked 3rd

Ill take 3rd especially when Atlanta has tried and failed TWICE and Cleveland is an over saturated sports market.

Id think that these numbers also help make the case against Vegas lol... DAMN!

relocate Miami or Nashville and we are all set

• 2 months later...

I'm surprised you guys didn't notice this back in august.

Could the Hurricanes move to Las Vegas?

The NHL has some offseason buzz with rumors of Las Vegas being a prime target to receive a team.

That could come in the form of expansion, or, as some have surmised, by an existing team packing up and moving – potentially the Carolina Hurricanes.

Read on.........

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2014/08/29/could-the-hurricanes-move-to-las-vegas.html

Didn't realize how bad their attendance figures where until I saw a post on facebook about it. Not saying it's gonna happen, but interesting nonetheless.

I missed the game because I was home sick, but I had about 2 dozen friends there and they each described it at amazing. 

What makes this awesome is that the UConn students get in free and bring a different kind of energy that the wolf pack or even a Whalers team would never bring

So really, we dont know how many tickets get sold either

its still awesome and the result was great also.  then they followed it up by getting a tie last night.   Nothing like a win and a Tie against two different top 5 teams

• 5 months later...

Ahh yes, I have seen many versions of this report over the last 15 years maybe.

It basically ranks every city in terms of economic activity and then makes assumptions of how much activity is needed to support a team....

for cities who already have teams it subtracts that soaked up activity and basically points out the ability to support a new team in any of the 5 major sports.

I think its makes a ton of sense, especially now that they include "major colleges" in the calculation

one issue is that UCONN is not in a power 5 and therefore is excluded.  Not sure thats an accurate picture of Hartford as a result.

UConn influences this market as much as any power 5 team could.

anyways...

Hartford is I think the 2nd biggest economic force without any team behind Vegas, so it scores high for everything even MLB.

since MLB is impossible, as is NFL... Hartford needs to clearly position itself to land NBA/NHL/MLS

and MLS is not possible unless Kraft sells his rights, just like with the Patriots, but seems more likely because Kraft is trying to build a soccer stadium in Boston right now and this might affect Hartfords ability to land a team

Ahh yes, I have seen many versions of this report over the last 15 years maybe.

It basically ranks every city in terms of economic activity and then makes assumptions of how much activity is needed to support a team....

for cities who already have teams it subtracts that soaked up activity and basically points out the ability to support a new team in any of the 5 major sports.

I think its makes a ton of sense, especially now that they include "major colleges" in the calculation

one issue is that UCONN is not in a power 5 and therefore is excluded. Not sure thats an accurate picture of Hartford as a result.

UConn influences this market as much as any power 5 team could.

anyways...

Hartford is I think the 2nd biggest economic force without any team behind Vegas, so it scores high for everything even MLB.

since MLB is impossible, as is NFL... Hartford needs to clearly position itself to land NBA/NHL/MLS

and MLS is not possible unless Kraft sells his rights, just like with the Patriots, but seems more likely because Kraft is trying to build a soccer stadium in Boston right now and this might affect Hartfords ability to land a team

I agree I think the NHL and NBA are definitely a possibility. MLB while nice would not happen, as the Red Sox and Yankees would most likely not approve.

Yeah, I honestly dont think we could support NBA either

this is very much Celtics country and the Nets and Knicks are plenty close so most NBA fans can catch a game if they want and see almost any team they want.

Hockey and Soccer are Hartfords best chance at a pro team, but again only if Kraft lets us for Soccer.

I just dont see an owner.  Its not like we have anyone around here with the money to own a team

Yeah, I honestly dont think we could support NBA either

this is very much Celtics country and the Nets and Knicks are plenty close so most NBA fans can catch a game if they want and see almost any team they want.

Hockey and Soccer are Hartfords best chance at a pro team, but again only if Kraft lets us for Soccer.

I just dont see an owner. Its not like we have anyone around here with the money to own a team

With the popularity of UCONN basketball, it's possible a winning NBA team could spark huge crowds. I wouldn't rule it out completely.

I think NHL is the cheepest of the 2 by a long shot.

The atlanta Thrashers cost 110 million plus a 60 million relocation fee just 4 years ago

thats alot of money, but not the 500+ million the Sacramento Kings cost.  The clippers I think went for over a billion!!

many NHL teams are valued around 250 million

• 1 month later...

2PM update, looks like they are ready to deal  :angry:

Glendale's move to consider ending its agreement with the Arizona Coyotes took another turn Wednesday morning with a statement by the city saying it's open to renegotiating a better deal for taxpayers. The Glendale City Council is scheduled to meet at 6 p.m. this evening at City Hall to end a 15-year, $225 million agreement with the team to lease Gila River Arena and manage the facility. That meeting, announced late Tuesday afternoon, was the latest in a long history of turmoil for the Coyotes in Glendale. The city issued this statement this morning: "The City Council has scheduled a discussion and possible vote regarding Glendale's contract with the Arizona Coyotes. Discussions and negotiations regarding the contract have been ongoing for months. Specifically, the City is open to a resolution but it must be one that provides certainty and fairness to both parties, especially the taxpayers. The Council has agreed to stand for transparency and the highest standards of ethics for any future agreement with the Coyotes."

Archived