Bring Back The Whale!!!

GHartford

So, today the CDA states they want the 3 proposers to look and see if they can do better. What?!? That sounds like a Mickey Mouse move if I've ever heard one. Also, L. Scott Frantz says "What we should be looking for is the best deal for the Authority". What?!? How about the best deal for the city and the metro? These guys are idiots....

Dumb

Personally, I like the ability of MSG. I think they've done a very good job," said board Vice Chairman Richard T. Mulready. "But I like opening up the possibility of bigger and broader options with either Northland or Baldwin or some combination of the two."

I don't know if this is all that bad. I think they are actually sold on the idea of trying to get the NHL back, which means they are at least somewhat inclined to support an Arena initiative somewhere down the line. Hopefully sooner than later. Let's hope Larry G comes back with a great deal, or even decided to work with Baldwin. Maybe then it will be a done deal to pursue the NHL again.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I like the ability of MSG. I think they've done a very good job," said board Vice Chairman Richard T. Mulready. "But I like opening up the possibility of bigger and broader options with either Northland or Baldwin or some combination of the two."

I don't know if this is all that bad. I think they are actually sold on the idea of trying to get the NHL back, which means they are at least somewhat inclined to support an Arena initiative somewhere down the line. Hopefully sooner than later. Let's hope Larry G comes back with a great deal, or even decided to work with Baldwin. Maybe then it will be a done deal to pursue the NHL again.

larry g and baldwin are businessmen. why would they split the pie? would they be around if they stood to profit by half of what the potential is? these guys are not doing charity work here.

Unfortunately, the CDA has taken their direct emails off of the website. Now you can click on "Contact Us" and on the ensuing page click on "Staff Directories". Once you are there there is a link to send each person an email. The link does not provide you with a direct email address, but a form that you can fill out that contains a comments section.

I sent one this morning to Marie O'Brien, we'll see if I get any response. I didn't last time.

Here is the direct link to the page I am talking about

CDA staff directory page

I just sent her an email as well. The way I see it, we need to stop playing not to lose, and start playing to win.

I have no problem with the CDA asking for a Best and Final offer (sometimes called a BAFO). This is common in RFP competitions. That is not Mickey Mouse.

However, no one has the right to tell two bidders to work together. That just gives MSG a strong case to protest the RFP.

Of course, I'm talking about how it's done in the real word, not Hartford.

larry g and baldwin are businessmen. why would they split the pie? would they be around if they stood to profit by half of what the potential is? these guys are not doing charity work here.

I'm not saying that they really have any reason to want to, other than it may bolster the total proposal and make in an easier sell to CDA. As businessmen your are absolutely right, they stand to gain it all if either can pull it off flying solo.

I have no problem with the CDA asking for a Best and Final offer (sometimes called a BAFO). This is common in RFP competitions. That is not Mickey Mouse.

However, no one has the right to tell two bidders to work together. That just gives MSG a strong case to protest the RFP.

Of course, I'm talking about how it's done in the real word, not Hartford.

I'm not a businessman, and I really have no idea how bidding works, so you have a very valid critisism of my comments.

As an aside, it was reported that Larry G and Baldwin had a lunch together in Boston last week, so there may be some hope. The meeting was reported as "cordial". Imagine this: a new Arena, Larry G taking care of the financial and business end of the deal, Baldwin using his hockey contacts to grease the way while implementing his plan for a CT sports network.....

Arena Proposal Process Restarted

Firms Given More Time To Improve Their Bids To Take Over Hartford Civic Center

January 20, 2007

By JEFFREY B. COHEN, Courant Staff Writer

More than a month after three bidders submitted applications to take over the Hartford Civic Center and presented plans for its long-term future, the state agency that runs the arena has reopened the process, set a new deadline and invited all parties to improve their plans.

The reason, state officials said Friday, is to alleviate concerns that one group's last-minute change in partners was unfair.

ADVERTISEMENT

SPONSORED LINKS

"We didn't necessarily need to go this way, but we chose to go this way because we believe it is the spirit of the open and fair way that we have managed this," said Marie O'Brien, the executive director of the Connecticut Development Authority.

The new deadline for written proposals is 4 p.m. Feb. 2. The original deadline was Dec. 1, 2006.

The authority stands to lose roughly $4 million a year on its contract to operate the city-owned arena through 2013. Three bidders submitted plans that promised to both enliven the arena and emphasize hockey.

The bidders are the current operator, Madison Square Garden; a partnership between downtown's largest landowner, Northland Investment Corp., and AEG Worldwide of Los Angeles; and a partnership between former Whalers owner Howard Baldwin and Global Spectrum of Philadelphia.

When it came to hockey, the three groups had three different plans: MSG stressed the American Hockey League's long-term viability in Hartford; Baldwin emphasized the AHL as a building block to the National Hockey League; and Northland's Lawrence R. Gottesdiener said the way to go is to buy an NHL team now.

Late in the process, Northland changed its arena management partner - from SMG to AEG - a change that caused some concern from the Baldwin group.

O'Brien said the authority has a great deal of flexibility with the process as it tries to get the best deal for taxpayers, and she stressed that the reopening of the bidding process will give all parties a chance to compete on even ground.

Richard Mulready has never been a big supporter of bringing the NHL back. Having said that, when he was questioned by the legislature's Commerce Committee last year he indicated that the CDA would look at things entirely differently if we were talking NHL. Well, guest what Richie, we are!!!

The CDA HAS to look at this in terms of the highest and best use for Hartford, not themselves!

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-civic...headlines-local

Democrats looking at civic center.

The Democratic leader of the state House of Representatives brought the two-fold discussion of the aging, money-losing Hartford Civic Center and its possible replacement to the legislature today.

House Speaker James Amann put the idea of "the feasibility of constructing a new arena in the city of Hartford" before a legislative committee Tuesday, with admittedly vague language intended to serve as a placeholder while the city and a state agency figure out the best next steps. Meanwhile, Amann said he is also seeking and getting support from some Hartford legislators.

lineup96_03_18hcc.jpg

http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-civic...headlines-local

Democrats looking at civic center.

The Democratic leader of the state House of Representatives brought the two-fold discussion of the aging, money-losing Hartford Civic Center and its possible replacement to the legislature today.

House Speaker James Amann put the idea of "the feasibility of constructing a new arena in the city of Hartford" before a legislative committee Tuesday, with admittedly vague language intended to serve as a placeholder while the city and a state agency figure out the best next steps. Meanwhile, Amann said he is also seeking and getting support from some Hartford legislators.

lineup96_03_18hcc.jpg

Jim Amann seems like a good man, let's hope this works out...

I can't remember if I had a thought about this or if I actually asked you guys about it before, but here's what I'd like to know:

Wasn't the Hartford Civic Center just renovated a couple years ago?

I went to a show there in the summer of '05 and everything appeared remodeled. Fresh paint throughout the whole arena.

Why does the City of Hartford need a new arena?

I could see 28,000 people packing in there for UConn basketball - no problem. But for the Whalers 15,000 seats has always been more than enough.

I can't remember if I had a thought about this or if I actually asked you guys about it before, but here's what I'd like to know:

I went to a show there in the summer of '05 and everything appeared remodeled. Fresh paint throughout the whole arena.

I could see 28,000 people packing in there for UConn basketball - no problem. But for the Whalers 15,000 seats has always been more than enough.

It's not up to national standards. We want an arena that's up to national standards. Sorry if that's too simplistic of an answer, but that sums it up for me.

I believe the NHL requires more than 15,000 seats in an arena for there to be an NHL team. Plus from what I hear there are other issues with building that require major repairs.

Walk into any new arena and you'll answer your own question about whether the Civic Center is acceptable or not. It's old, obsolete, and is the main blocking point of us getting another NHL team. AS far as the Whalers attendance, I'll not open that Pandora's box again, let's just say that the attendance wasn't the problem as many make it out to be....

• 4 weeks later...

Just an FYI, on Tuesday at 1, the Commerce Committee will hold a public hearing on a raised bill that will allow the CCEDA to conduct a feasibility study of building a new arena downtown.

That's great, one feasibility study after another. Get it built already....

It will be at the LOB. It is Raised Bill No. 7303. If you plan on attending, you will be limited to 3 minutes to speak..and they will hold you to that. In the alternative, you could write to the chairs of the Committee. I believe they are Berger and LeBeau.

Whalers Come Home:

Who else is on the panel? We want to e-mail support for the arena - eventhou we are in Florida. I want to tell them that I grew up with the Whale, my folks were 91 clubbers and I met my wife at a Whalers game. Now, the WolfPack is good - but it ISN'T the NHL.

Also, I want to say that the UConn needs a new arena, because the HCC is past its age, that if done right, UCONN could host the FROZEN FOUR in the new arena. (Tampa has it in 2012). Just think of what a new arena could do. New shops, a separate building for the Whaler Hall of Fame, a new Building for the Cricket Hall of Fame nearby, and maybe arena football (NOT RUN by MSG!) and NLL. Just think of the taxes it would create!

JimS

Archived