Wal-Mart Invasion

ATLman1

The Columbus Council has approved the construction of 4 new Wal-Mart Supercenters throughout the city and in the suburbs. This will create 6 in Columbus/Phenix City area and 12 total within 35 miles of Columbus!

1) Wal-Mart Supercenter will be constructed in the suburb of Midland. The location will also have several restaurants, banks, etc. Also, a 100,000 sq. ft. strip center will be built on the property.

2) New Supercenter will be built where an existing Wal-Mart is located on Airport Thruway. Basically just expanding the current store into a Supercenter.

3) Supercenter will be built in Columbus Park Crossing with a new Sams and Kohls.

4) Wal-Mart is in the process of looking for a location for a Supercenter in south Columbus

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Columbus Council has approved the construction of 4 new Wal-Mart Supercenters throughout the city and in the suburbs. This will create 6 in Columbus/Phenix City area and 12 total within 35 miles of Columbus!

So they approved the store in Midland, huh? Columbus is definitely overdue for a super center, but 4?? Invasion is right. I think the Midland site is a great choice for a Super Center as is one on the Southside of town, but one in Columbus Park Crossing... that's about 1 mile away from the Airport Thruway location... which they plan to convert into a super center. I know there are many benefits to this (jobs, tax revenue)... but in the long run, I can't help but feel this will be a bad thing for Columbus.

So they approved the store in Midland, huh? Columbus is definitely overdue for a super center, but 4?? Invasion is right. I think the Midland site is a great choice for a Super Center as is one on the Southside of town, but one in Columbus Park Crossing... that's about 1 mile away from the Airport Thruway location... which they plan to convert into a super center. I know there are many benefits to this (jobs, tax revenue)... but in the long run, I can't help but feel this will be a bad thing for Columbus.

Inclined to agree that center at Columbus X-ing may be retail overkill. Opening center at

old location on Airport Thruway would help draw traffic away from already crowded X-ing area.

However, putting additional center at X-ing without road/traffic improvements could make a

bad situation worse.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The new Wal-Mart Supercenter will open January 22 and the new Sam's Club will open January 18. These stores are located at Columbus Park Crossing Columbus Park Crossing Development.

Here is another article about the construction of the new Wal-Mart Supercenter in the suburb of Midland and a possible new Wal-Mart Supercenter in south Columbus. Also, the article includes talks about the Swift Galey site. Negotiations include another Target and Home Depot but nothing has been finalized Midland Supercenter.

The new Wal-Mart Supercenter will open January 22 and the new Sam's Club will open January 18. These stores are located at Columbus Park Crossing Columbus Park Crossing Development.

Here is another article about the construction of the new Wal-Mart Supercenter in the suburb of Midland and a possible new Wal-Mart Supercenter in south Columbus. Also, the article includes talks about the Swift Galey site. Negotiations include another Target and Home Depot but nothing has been finalized Midland Supercenter.

Have you seen the parking lot for Sam's/Walmart in Columbus Park Crossing? It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. It's huge. No trees, nothing.. just a bunch of damn asphalt. You have to wonder... could the developers make more money if they paid to put a parking deck in and then have extra outparcels to develop... instead of one huge parking lot for one store??? That WalMart is just one more reason that I refuse to go to Columbus Park Crossing unless I absolutely have to.

Are there any Super Centers in Columbus currently? Just wondering...the only Wal-Mart i saw when i was there was one not to far from Macon Rd. but it was an older store (regular version). Are they planning on replacing those types with the Supercenters or just adding to the mix?

Are there any Super Centers in Columbus currently? Just wondering...the only Wal-Mart i saw when i was there was one not to far from Macon Rd. but it was an older store (regular version). Are they planning on replacing those types with the Supercenters or just adding to the mix?

There are no Supercenters in the city, but there are several in the surrounding area. The Wal-Mart on Airport Thruway (one you most likely saw) is being expanded into a Supercenter. Once all is said and done there will be 4 Supercenters in Columbus.

• 2 months later...

Airport Thruway Wal-Mart demolition begins:

Bulldozers are beginning to push forward on a new Wal-Mart Supercenter on Gateway Road, while wrecking crews have started ripping apart the old Wal-Mart and Sam's Club on Airport Thruway to make way for a downsized supercenter there.

The old Wal-Mart on Airport Thruway and the Sam's Club are just now being torn down. It will take up to 60 days to complete the demolition and haul away debris, Wilkins said. About 25,000 yards of dirt from the site also is being excavated and moved to Gateway Road to elevate that store's foundation. The asphalt and concrete also apparently will be torn up and recycled.

That timetable would have the demolition on Airport Thruway completed by early May, with construction starting thereafter and taking until perhaps next March to have the store's doors open for business.

One major change on the drawing boards for the Airport Thruway supercenter will be its size. Wal-Mart had previously said it would comparable to the Columbus Park Crossing and Gateway Road stores. But current plans have it measuring roughly 156,000 square feet of interior space plus 6,300 square feet of outdoor space, which would include a garden center.

• 1 month later...

Well I went past the Airport Walmart today and they have started to place the walls back up so guess it won't be long now it is suppose to open before Christmas and whats the deal with the Gateway Drive Wal-mart I also passed it today that area they cleared is huge there is also suppose be a new shopping center going up there with it? Has anyone heard?

• 3 months later...

Well there was an Article in yesterday Ledger about the construction status of the Gateway drive Walmart supercenter and the Airport Thruway Supercenter. both are on schedule and set to open the first part of 2008. Also the company is still looking for land in Columbus-South to replace the Buena vista road store Rumor has it an announcment will come in Spring 2008 about the location. On another upside there are more developments that are coming with the walmarts. Outparcel space is bieng added to the Airport Thruway location. Some Tenants have committed, but have not yet revealed who they are. Also along with the Gateway drive store a new 40,000 square foot shopping center is being constructed by Columbus developer Ben Billings called Billings Crossing ground breaking is expected within the next 60 days. Although no tenants have yet been revealed Mr Billings told the Ledger there will be 4 outparcels including a 7,000 square foot resturant. He won't reveal the prospective tenants of the shopping center but says a dress shop, shoe store, sporting goods outlet, and hair salon are among the possible tenants.

In my personal experience from what i've seen over the past year with Walmart developments the following stores have followed very closely to new wal-mart sites, Shoe Carnival, Dress Barn, Payless Shoes, Ross dress for less, Marshalls, and Chik Fil-a have all been popping up near new Walmart supercenters that I have seen around the south.

Well there was an Article in yesterday Ledger about the construction status of the Gateway drive Walmart supercenter and the Airport Thruway Supercenter. both are on schedule and set to open the first part of 2008. Also the company is still looking for land in Columbus-South to replace the Buena vista road store Rumor has it an announcment will come in Spring 2008 about the location. On another upside there are more developments that are coming with the walmarts. Outparcel space is bieng added to the Airport Thruway location. Some Tenants have committed, but have not yet revealed who they are. Also along with the Gateway drive store a new 40,000 square foot shopping center is being constructed by Columbus developer Ben Billings called Billings Crossing ground breaking is expected within the next 60 days. Although no tenants have yet been revealed Mr Billings told the Ledger there will be 4 outparcels including a 7,000 square foot resturant. He won't reveal the prospective tenants of the shopping center but says a dress shop, shoe store, sporting goods outlet, and hair salon are among the possible tenants.

In my personal experience from what i've seen over the past year with Walmart developments the following stores have followed very closely to new wal-mart sites, Shoe Carnival, Dress Barn, Payless Shoes, Ross dress for less, Marshalls, and Chik Fil-a have all been popping up near new Walmart supercenters that I have seen around the south.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The walmart on buena vista road is being renovated currently I am not sure if its being turned to a super center or just upgraded I have heard from a employee at the store that a grocery center is being added as well as several new features that will make it similar to the airport thruway location

The walmart on buena vista road is being renovated currently I am not sure if its being turned to a super center or just upgraded I have heard from a employee at the store that a grocery center is being added as well as several new features that will make it similar to the airport thruway location

Article from WTVM about Wal-mart on Buena Vista Road

COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) - Big things are happening at an old staple. Walmart, located at 4701 Buena Vista Road, will be getting a need face lift.

Officials tell News Leader 9, the store will receive a full remodel from the inside out and will represent the chain's current design and customer experience.

We're told the new store will have a clean, open, and bright look. From wider aisles, low-profile shelving, to easy-to-read signs to help customers find the products they need.

"We are excited to bring an improved shopping experience to our customers," said Store Manager Raymond Simpson. "We listened to our customers and are redesigning the store to make shopping at Walmart even easier," he added.

The store will remain open during the renovations. The majority of construction and moving will be completed during the overnight hours. The project is expected to be completed by mid-June.

To help with the remodel, the Columbus Walmart is hiring about 20 temporary associates.

Archived