Encore Condos

GoldRiver

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone think that Tony could still build the Encore at 23 stories. By just moving everyone unit three levels higher. And putting the bottom three levels back on the market. I was wondering if that is possible not only for Encore but for any other last minute residential development changes.

Does anyone think that Tony could still build the Encore at 23 stories. By just moving everyone unit three levels higher. And putting the bottom three levels back on the market. I was wondering if that is possible not only for Encore but for any other last minute residential development changes.

Not typically. Parking spaces, structural design and elevators are the main reason it wouldn't be feasible. Developers are generally under tremendous pressure to reduce cost to get deals to work so I'd be very suprised to hear Novare had built extra parking and approved more concrete and steel to over-design the structure and foundation just on the off-chance that they'd decide/be permitted to add a few floors at a later date. Also, it's my understanding that Encore's 3 elevators are already stretched to the limit of capacity for 330 units so adding another 50-60 units would probably not be doable.

I think something will get proposed there or built there soon. the area is to hot right now. The day's are numbered for that Labor Ready building.

Does Tony G own that property?

Tony has the property right behind Labor Ready. I have heard that the owners of that property may have their own plan for that property. I think I heard that the project that is planned for Tony's property is going to be in the 6 story range.

My sense is that nobody, including Novare, is chomping at the bit to start another project in SoBro right now. The ballpark implosion and uncertainly related to the Preds, Gateway Blvd, and the new convention center kind of has everyone flatfooted IMO. And Tony still needs to sell about a hundred Encore units with about 70 units in the V continuing to hang on the boards.

Advantage, Gulch.

whats up with Gateway Blvd???

Nothing, that's the problem. If you've ever driven over the bridge you've noticed Korean Veterans Blvd only extends another block before an abrupt termination into private property. It's my understanding that ample federal funding ($20 million) to finish the extension has been in place since the completion of the bridge but our good mayor allowed the original fed study for the bridge and Gateway to lapse a couple years ago and, to my knowledge, still hasn't even begun the new 2 year study process necessary to gain use of the federal funds. Since the study requires public input and debate about things like how the blvd ties back into the street network, politics and bickering could delay the study period even more than the 2 years. Surely, the new CC (or not) will also impact this discussion. There is also talk of realigning the street behind Encore as part of this project. Once everyone agrees then it is expected to take another 2 years to bid, award and complete construction.

So, given the importance of this project to Sobro, along with Purcell's history of political opportunism, I just have to laugh when he starts talking about what he wants on the thermal site, or how we need to redirect the river etc. All this while he's asleep at the switch during the Korean Vet Blvd. vote, the preds sale, etc. If it wasn't so sad it would be funny.

Nothing, that's the problem. If you've ever driven over the bridge you've noticed Korean Veterans Blvd only extends another block before an abrupt termination into private property. It's my understanding that ample federal funding ($20 million) to finish the extension has been in place since the completion of the bridge but our good mayor allowed the original fed study for the bridge and Gateway to lapse a couple years ago and, to my knowledge, still hasn't even begun the new 2 year study process necessary to gain use of the federal funds. Since the study requires public input and debate about things like how the blvd ties back into the street network, politics and bickering could delay the study period even more than the 2 years. Surely, the new CC (or not) will also impact this discussion. There is also talk of realigning the street behind Encore as part of this project. Once everyone agrees then it is expected to take another 2 years to bid, award and complete construction.

So, given the importance of this project to Sobro, along with Purcell's history of political opportunism, I just have to laugh when he starts talking about what he wants on the thermal site, or how we need to redirect the river etc. All this while he's asleep at the switch during the Korean Vet Blvd. vote, the preds sale, etc. If it wasn't so sad it would be funny.

Metro Public Works has been working on the Environmental Impact Statement for the last half year or so. The money has been secured, but because the use of the road changed, as it no longer connects to Demonbreun as it had been planned, it has to be refiled. I do not think this was the Mayor dragging his feet at all. Molloy and Demonbreun should be straigntened and re-alligned.

As to the name change. What a shame. It's hard to go against the Veterans though.

One question for any grammar types out there. Assuming you support the name change, which I think only those who served in Korea do, shouldn't it have been named Korea Veterans Boulevard? Wouldn't Korean Veterans be those who fought against the US? Those who are a member of the axis of evil? For example we don't call it Vietnameese Veterans Bouldvard do we?

Metro Public Works has been working on the Environmental Impact Statement for the last half year or so. The money has been secured, but because the use of the road changed, as it no longer connects to Demonbreun as it had been planned, it has to be refiled. I do not think this was the Mayor dragging his feet at all. Molloy and Demonbreun should be straigntened and re-alligned.

I probably shouldn't have suggested that the lapse of the study was Purcell's fault; I think you're right about the scope of the study needing to be updated. That said, it's inexcusable that the mayor took two years to bother to light a fire under any of his people to address the complicated issues related to the extension study needed. To this day I'm not sure he really did anything to get it going. It seems to me that public works, MDHA, planning and others just finally got around to getting the wheels turning again working at their own pace. Again, IMO it shouldn't be taking so long and I still haven't seen any evidence of where Purcell stands on any of the thorny issues like the Molloy realignment or where Gateway will terminate, etc. Too radioactive for him I'm sure. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against all the fine folks at the agencies I mentioned but, as you know, they work at their own pace unless driven by someone above to make certain projects a priority. I've yet to see any evidence that this project is still really even on Purcell's radar.

As to the name change. What a shame. It's hard to go against the Veterans though.
It should have never come to that. Good grief, why should anyone have to say they are for or against the veterans of any war over an issue like this ? One reason: no political leadership. As has been discussed on another thread there were only about a hunded other sensible ways to pay homage to those vets, the ones that fought for us BTW, not the buggers who fought against us.

Given the magnitude of this mistep I can only conclude the Purcell is a moron and doesn't have clue what a terrible (politically irreversible) mistake this was for the economic development of Sobro, or he did but had some yet unknown political agenda for taking a walk to China and ignoring that it took place (and not having the stones to veto it).

I think he does know what's going on, but he doesn't have the guts to steer them in a proper way. He doesn't have a strong personality, and that's what's required in a job like that. That's why I think Briley and Clement would be disastrous for Nashville. They have no backbone to stand up to Metro Council.

I think he does know what's going on, but he doesn't have the guts to steer them in a proper way. He doesn't have a strong personality, and that's what's required in a job like that. That's why I think Briley and Clement would be disastrous for Nashville. They have no backbone to stand up to Metro Council.

Briley has shown that he will take up unpopular points of view and stand up for what he believes in the face of adversity. He has the backbone to stand up to the Metro Council. I believe he has shown that in the past.

I agree with Southside on this one...how can you possibly group the most fiercely independent voice in the Metro Council, one David Briley, with Bob Clement?

Perhaps if you guys will give more examples, I might stand corrected. However, given the info I've read, the times he does take a stand it's either irrelevant as suggested by his noncommittal comments like wanting more study on the new Convention Center, or downright idiotic like the limit (30'???) on houses. I will give the guy credit though, he has a heck of a lot of folks running interference in the media. He gets a lot (i mean an awful lot) of gratuitous quotes in the press.

For somebody who doesn't get the local Nashville broadcast media, please give me some examples. I'm open minded enough to be swayed away from thinking the guy is a major lightweight in a wolf's clothing. It appears to me that he does have a solid constituency that believes he's great, but countywide he'll have major trouble winning. I can't vote there, but frankly I'm very unimpressed by the whole field.

I do think a lively debate on the mayoral race is called for, but it should be moved to the coffee house. Unfortunately, I don't have a whole lot of insight to the major issues there.

Perhaps if you guys will give more examples, I might stand corrected. However, given the info I've read, the times he does take a stand it's either irrelevant as suggested by his noncommittal comments like wanting more study on the new Convention Center, or downright idiotic like the limit (30'???) on houses. I will give the guy credit though, he has a heck of a lot of folks running interference in the media. He gets a lot (i mean an awful lot) of gratuitous quotes in the press.

For somebody who doesn't get the local Nashville broadcast media, please give me some examples. I'm open minded enough to be swayed away from thinking the guy is a major lightweight in a wolf's clothing. It appears to me that he does have a solid constituency that believes he's great, but countywide he'll have major trouble winning. I can't vote there, but frankly I'm very unimpressed by the whole field.

I do think a lively debate on the mayoral race is called for, but it should be moved to the coffee house. Unfortunately, I don't have a whole lot of insight to the major issues there.

I am no expert on the height restriction limt that he proposed, but I don't see why it would be described as idiotic. As I understand it would keep people from McMansioning otherwise decent neighborhoods to death. Not only that--people with legitimate exceptions still have the right to appeal. It has nothing to do with Condo towers in urban areas--its a protection for residential neighborhoods.

Here is a profile from The Tennessesan on David Briley that I think demonstrates what I was saying about him. It wraps up the possible good and bad of David Briley--and his unpopular stance against the Sounds deal.

Quotes from the article:

"He always took unpopular positions," said Councilman Mike Jameson, who co-sponsored the ballpark legislation. "It only took two or three of those where he was right to sense that this guy might have better judgment than the rest of us."

"David Briley, as far as I'm concerned, is the most anti-business candidate running for mayor," said Bobby Joslin, a politically active businessman who has contributed to the campaign of another candidate, Councilman Buck Dozier. "I think he considers himself a neighborhood guy. Without a strong business community, you've got a weak neighborhood group."

"Briley said he wants to look far into Nashville's future and position it for the day when 1 million people will live inside the city limits. He said he's ready to think big and take risks."

Briley: "I think Nashvillians are going to look at is a vision for where Nashville's going to be in 10 and 25 years. And I believe I represent most solidly Nashville's aspirations."

**edit--I forgot to add the link to the Tennessean article--its there now

Encore is on Floor 18 now and if they go at the pace they were at in May it should be Topped out this month..... Is there an offical date for this? What was the original schedule??

Also does anyone know what will come of the west side/parking exterior?? Will this stay open or will they enclose it?

none of the renderings show that side of the building so it's anybody's guess on the parking structure. I think they were always scheduled to top out in June. The pace has pretty much been 1 floor per week so unless something changes they should be topped by the 3rd week of June.

Archived