Pics from Russellville

Vertigo

I had an unexpected day off from work so why not take some pictures.

We'll start by walking toward downtown...

79b8f7b1.jpg

3d5a5410.jpg

b2008861.jpg

115e46bb.jpg

6e071ccf.jpg

84e4b9cb.jpg

This building burned last year. Plans are to refurbish the facade and turn the interior space into a downtown park.

acc55e2c.jpg

A new restaurant is scheduled to open in this corner building next year.

rse.jpg

The latest controversy in town involves the city's old brick sidewalks. While portions are all that remain, some of these sidewalks date back 150 years. The mayor has decided that they are unsafe, therefore, these barriers are needed to protect citizens. I guess she thinks walking on the street is safer.

Homeowners have the option of allowing the city to replace them with concrete or they can pay out of pocket to have the sidewalks replaced by hand. Until there is a compromise, these barriers will remain.

bce39b1f.jpg

9b2c6e27.jpg

Since I grew up here, I can wander through almost any yard I want.

75355daf.jpg

Or I can just go in homes to take pictures.

db077b7c.jpg

One of the 'newer' homes in the area built in the 1920's

f40a7946.jpg

ccf0bb78.jpg

d2631160.jpg

0b94d3e2.jpg

560e0f42.jpg

493aa805.jpg

c88be69d.jpg

c7d16b89.jpg

The street I live on!

6edafa02.jpg

808f9c67.jpg

This home was built as a honeymoon cottage after the couple returned from the Grand Canyon.

af5eb0f7.jpg

eedb3d48.jpg

A few pictures I took this summer...

russm.jpg

russc.jpg

russg.jpg

rusz.jpg

russj.jpg

That's all for now. Ya'll come back now!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vertigo, you are my hero. Russellville is Central City's big brother to the south. It is, IMO, one of the most beautiful and quaint towns in the entire state of Kentucky. The housing stock around downtown would floor most of us in a minute! *Notice how the housing styles change from Central City to Russellville???? Not a big change, but a subtle to drastic in some cases.* Well done with the thread man, well done.

Rural King,

I actually prefer taking city pictures in the winter months because everything is much more exposed. From a photography standpoint, it becomes more of a challenge to make a neighborhood look warm and inviting despite the bleak conditions.

I've always judged the beauty of a neighborhood by how it looks in winter. If it looks good at the worst time of year, you know it looks good during the more lush times.

So to answer your question, yes I will be taking more photos of Russellville and surrounding communities during the coming weeks.

Lexy,

Yes, the housing stock varies betwen Russellville and other nearby communities (such as Central City). Of course, Russellville has been around about 100 years longer than most of it's neighbors. Most towns in Kentucky didn't start to take off until the railroads were completed. Even nearby Bowling Green was was nothing more than a spot on the map by the time much of this area was built.

To put it into another perspective, I've counted over 30 homes standing in Russellville's historical district today were built prior to anything in Old Louisville (1870).

For this part of the country, that's old!

georgeglass,

Thank you for your interest in this thread. Russellville is located 1 hour North of Nashville Tenn, about 30 miles West of I-65.

It's funny, my dad actually works for the City of Russellville, but he lives with mom in Central City. One of the guys that is head over the water department, used to be in a upper position in the water department in Central City. The pay is a bit better and the people are nicer, so that is why he is in R-Ville not Central City anymore. Just a little tid bit that you may find interesting.

Archived