Retail in DT Nashville

cheeriokid61

I was thinking. With all this talk of people wanting new stores in downtown, not the suburbs, where would they go? Would the stores be spread out all over the place, or could they be centralized, say on one road. If they were to be on one road, which do you think would be the best option? Think 5th avenue in NY or the Magnificent Mile in Chicago, just scaled down a bit. Just something to think about.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking. With all this talk of people wanting new stores in downtown, not the suburbs, where would they go? Would the stores be spread out all over the place, or could they be centralized, say on one road. If they were to be on one road, which do you think would be the best option? Think 5th avenue in NY or the Magnificent Mile in Chicago, just scaled down a bit. Just something to think about.

Isn't this more of a coffee house type post?

Thanks Rural (I was going to post on the topic earlier but I saw you were looking at it too so I waited for you to work your magic).

Retain in DT Nashville... There are a few spots that I think would work:

The surface lot on Church between 5th and Capitol. Bloomingdale's built in a narrow lot in SoHo so why can't someone do the same there? Plus you have the office and residential population at your doorstep.

SoBro has a few spots which could make for an interesting development although you'd be more dependent upon leisure visitors in the area for a while.

I would really love to see a true old-fashioned department store return to Downtown Nashville. Someone needs to create a modern-day Castner Knott Co. or Cain-Sloan. Give me window displays that rival NY and Chicago and a special events department whose goal is turn the store into THE destination for your needs (ok, I am dreaming I know).

Though larger than Nashville, Minneapolis is a city that's managed to maintain its downtown department stores. Right on the downtown Nicollet Mall, there's a Marshall Fields/Macy's, Saks Fifth Avenue, and a Neiman Marcus, all within a block of each other.

This pic would certainly look nice if it Nashville were able to turn Church St. into something similar:

http://www.phototour.minneapolis.mn.us/2052

I cant even remember which thread I posted on today, but I stated there is a lot of space for an upscale retail development to go. You have SoBro, The Gulch, and the East Bank of the river. between those 3 places there is probably 300 or so acres. It could be incorporated in the new CC site or new development arond it. A whole lot of potential.

Is there a certain street you could see lined with many of these stores?

I think Ideally you'd want either a nice long street with a good intersection where anchors could be at either end -OR- you could wish for something similar to that Monument Circle area of downtown Indy wehre the stores and restaurants could face a public plaza. That would be a nice thought. I've been gone from Nashville for 3 years now so I am trying to use all of the information I get off of here to help me visualize where developments are. I am not sure if there is an area in SoBro that could ever transition into that kind of plaza/park/square.

SoBro is a relatively clean slate. Gateway Blvd. would be a perfect place to line the streets with retail. I think that's the "plan" anyway. Let's hurry and get the people living there (and a 1.2 million sq. ft. convention center), and the rest will follow. I have such high hopes for SoBro all the way to the Gulch. The core-core is pretty tight, but we can do magnificent things on the SoBro land. Then wait for the trees to grow.

I have to agree with Dave, Gateway Blvd would be perfect for a retail road to parallel a Magnificent Mile type area. This would put your retail and entertainment within a five block radius. You could go from Broadway to Gateway to the Gulch within a very short walk. It would be perfect. You wouldn't have any money left, but it would fit perfectly. Oh yeah, and this would make it perfect for tourist and their money too.

Archived