Columbus Park Crossing

ATLman1

There are two new stores moving into the development. The first is Play-n-trade which is a video game store much like EB games and gamestop. No opening date has been set yet, but it's next to Moes southwest grill and they have the windows blocked out with coming soon artwork. Also another smoothie shop is coming to the center. Tropical smoothies has put their signs up at a location next to Lane Bryant A building permit is also visible in the window so they should be opening very soon as well. Construction continues on a small outparcel in front of Wal-mart in the development from what I hear it will have 5 retail spots in it.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are two new stores moving into the development. The first is Play-n-trade which is a video game store much like EB games and gamestop. No opening date has been set yet, but it's next to Moes southwest grill and they have the windows blocked out with coming soon artwork. Also another smoothie shop is coming to the center. Tropical smoothies has put their signs up at a location next to Lane Bryant A building permit is also visible in the window so they should be opening very soon as well. Construction continues on a small outparcel in front of Wal-mart in the development from what I hear it will have 5 retail spots in it.

The drive-in restaurant that closed in being torn down. An AT&T store and a Five-Guys Burgers is going in on that lot once Carmike gives up some of their spaces for the development.

The drive-in restaurant that closed in being torn down. An AT&T store and a Five-Guys Burgers is going in on that lot once Carmike gives up some of their spaces for the development.

I have eaten at a Five-Guys Burgers. They have really good food. Does anyone have anything on the new development that is going to house bonefish and the fresh market. I visited a fresh market in Destin Fla. , I really enjoyed the experience

I have eaten at a Five-Guys Burgers. They have really good food. Does anyone have anything on the new development that is going to house bonefish and the fresh market. I visited a fresh market in Destin Fla. , I really enjoyed the experience

Heard Banana Republic is coming to it. That's all I know as of right now. According to a friend of mine who is working on the project, the stores and restaurants will be very high-end. Ben Carter isn't supposed to break ground now until the end of the year.

Heard Banana Republic is coming to it. That's all I know as of right now. According to a friend of mine who is working on the project, the stores and restaurants will be very high-end. Ben Carter isn't supposed to break ground now until the end of the year.

I could see that. Their website indicates that the newest development will be high end type stores not present in the market. I've heard a rumor of Ann Taylor might also be present in that development. I hope its worth the wait. Anyone heard anything about the stores locating in the little plaza in front of the Whittlesley Blvd Wal-mart.

• 3 months later...

Two new businesses coming to the development:

Sonic Drive-in (replacing Jerry's Drive-in)

Navy Federal Credit Union (going next to Quizno's)

This means that Five Guys and the at&t store aren't going where Jerry's was, ATLman: could this mean they're going in the new development in front of Wal-Mart?

BTW, I found this out from a Columbus Park map that was inside Smoothie King, oops.

Two new businesses coming to the development:

Sonic Drive-in (replacing Jerry's Drive-in)

Navy Federal Credit Union (going next to Quizno's)

This means that Five Guys and the at&t store aren't going where Jerry's was, ATLman: could this mean they're going in the new development in front of Wal-Mart?

BTW, I found this out from a Columbus Park map that was inside Smoothie King, oops.

Also I found that Flooring America is opening next to BMW of Columbus in the center. Does anyone know whats going on next to El Carrizo's the last of the trees in that area are being currently cleared and that land graded from BMW of Columbus/El Carrizos to Moon Road it must be a major development going up there. The land where The Shoppes at Columbus Park Crossing is suppose to go has a notice to rezone sign up. So it must be plans to move forward soon with that development also.

Also I found that Flooring America is opening next to BMW of Columbus in the center. Does anyone know whats going on next to El Carrizo's the last of the trees in that area are being currently cleared and that land graded from BMW of Columbus/El Carrizos to Moon Road it must be a major development going up there. The land where The Shoppes at Columbus Park Crossing is suppose to go has a notice to rezone sign up. So it must be plans to move forward soon with that development also.

The land was rezoned by the Jordan Realty company (the people that are building Flooring America, etc), not the people that developed Columbus Park crossing, so it could of switched hands and the developers backed out, I don't know-- just some thoughts. Jordan owns all the other land north by North Highland.

Bad news for CPC. One of the centers larger retailers is pulling out. A.C. Moore a arts and crafts store is scheduled to close on July 6. That will leave a large vacancy in the center. I'm sure Ben Carter prop will find a new tenant quickly for the location

Bad news for CPC. One of the centers larger retailers is pulling out. A.C. Moore a arts and crafts store is scheduled to close on July 6. That will leave a large vacancy in the center. I'm sure Ben Carter prop will find a new tenant quickly for the location

They've always been good at finding people to take the place of others, a small Cost Plus World Market or the Fresh Market type store would go good in this location.

They've always been good at finding people to take the place of others, a small Cost Plus World Market or the Fresh Market type store would go good in this location.

Yes it would be I heard that Costco is eyeballing the market and that Fresh Market is suppose to be built on the otherside of Whittlesley blvd

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, if they ever get started...

I still hear occasional rumors about Bass Pro Shops building in Columbus. I know they are building in a new development in Augusta which will be their fourth Georgia location. Anyone heard anything else about them possibly coming into Columbus? The rumor, at one time, was that they would go into the CPC development. Another rumor had them locating along the river off J. R. Allen.

Ben Carter or whoever is leasing for Columbus Park Crossing doesn't waste any time. They've already got the AC Moore spot filled with a Joann Fabrics and Crafts. Now we they would just tell us what is going at the new places by Wal-Mart

Not sure what is going in the strip center, but I have heard a hotel and an apartment complex are planned for that area. Rezoning signs are have been put up in that area.

Not sure what is going in the strip center, but I have heard a hotel and an apartment complex are planned for that area. Rezoning signs are have been put up in that area.

Yeah, thats what I was saying. They've put up Woodruff rezoning signs where the new section of Columbus Park was going to go and I thought that Ben Carter owned that land at planned to put a Fresh Market, etc.??

Yeah, thats what I was saying. They've put up Woodruff rezoning signs where the new section of Columbus Park was going to go and I thought that Ben Carter owned that land at planned to put a Fresh Market, etc.??

So are you saying this site plan from 2007 that shows more shops south of TJ's is no more and the Bonefish Grille is no longer coming?

So are you saying this site plan from 2007 that shows more shops south of TJ's is no more and the Bonefish Grille is no longer coming?

I'm not saying that for sure, but I've seen the rezoning signs and the property was not rezoned by Ben Carter Properties, but Woodruff or The Jordan Co. and the new rezoning is from GC, MFR, and (something else) to PUD (???) - This is at the land next to Kirkland and the land on the other side by Dick's.

I'm not really sure what's going on, but I'm keeping an eye on http://www.thejordanco.com/jordan/columbuspark.html

The new Sonic is coming up fast. Also, any word on the new retail buildings that are going in front of the Walmart Supercenter?

They are also clearing a lot of land down by the new El Carrizo restaurant. Any idea what is going there?

The new Sonic is coming up fast. Also, any word on the new retail buildings that are going in front of the Walmart Supercenter?

They are also clearing a lot of land down by the new El Carrizo restaurant. Any idea what is going there?

Not sure on whats going on by El Carrizo's, but i've found out that one of the tenants coming to the shopping center by Wal-mart is MARCO's PIZZA. This will be their first location in Georgia with the next nearest location in Huntsville, AL. No word on anything else yet, but if I do hear anything i'll post it here.

Not sure on whats going on by El Carrizo's, but i've found out that one of the tenants coming to the shopping center by Wal-mart is MARCO's PIZZA. This will be their first location in Georgia with the next nearest location in Huntsville, AL. No word on anything else yet, but if I do hear anything i'll post it here.

Marco's Pizza is putting in a location on Double Churches Rd too, so I guess they're pulling for Columbus alot? Have they put up a sign or something for Marco's at the Billings Crossing (or whatever its called)

• 3 weeks later...

This is where Woodruff is rezoning the property:

NEW CASES: (ZC0805-1): A request to rezone 70.22 acres located at 5550 Whittlesey Blvd. The current zoning is GC (General Commercial) / RO (Residential-Office) / SFR1 (Single Family Residential 1). The proposed zoning is PUD (Planned Unit Development). The property will be used for commercial / live-work / office / multi-family residential. Lucy Jones is the Applicant.

What does this mean? I can't find any plans yet, hopefully this week.

Columbus Park Major Expansion: 65-acre apartment, retail development would connect to botanical garden

Columbus Park Crossing could soon begin adding another residential component to its mix of shopping, dining and entertainment offerings -- and with a splash of green.

The George M. Adams Co., a Columbus real estate firm, is preparing to construct a large apartment complex with additional retail and office space on about 65 acres of land south of Whittlesey Boulevard.

The site, situated behind a shopping center anchored by the Kohl's department store, would be part of a "planned unit development" that mandates extra greenspace in exchange for flexibility in constructing buildings.

"We're developing an area in which you can live, walk to your retailers, walk to your office, and also enjoy the amenities of a very nice apartment home," Stephen Harper, a real-estate consultant with Marietta, Ga.-based Pinnacle Partners, said Wednesday, moments after appearing at a Columbus Planning Advisory Commission meeting.

Harper, who represents the George M. Adams Co., attended the meeting to discuss the project and seek PAC's blessing for rezoning the property to the "planned unit development" classification. The land now has three zoning designations -- general commercial, residential-office and single-family residential.

Planning Advisory Commission recommends zoning approval

After a brief presentation, PAC members voted 8-0 to recommend that the rezoning be approved by Columbus City Council at a later date, most likely in a few weeks. Council has the final say on rezoning matters.

No details of how much money it will cost to construct the development were disclosed.

The George C. Woodruff Co., a Columbus-based property development and management firm, is consulting on the project and is expected to handle leasing of the 746 apartment units currently on the drawing board.

The first of three phases would include up to 250 units, Harper said, with construction probably starting next spring. There also would be some retail space on the front portion of the property, which would have two outlets onto Whittlesey Boulevard.

"We're looking at destination retail in which you have State Farm, Allstate, insurance offices, things like that," Harper said, ruling out large anchor stores and restaurants. "There's plenty of restaurants over there already."

A key element of the development is that it would feature much more green- space and natural landscaping than typical apartment communities, Harper said. There are to be running trails, tree-lined streets and pedestrian walkways to the adjacent Columbus Botanical Garden.

The overall development will steer the now-forested property away from a primary commercial use, Harper said. That would have meant potentially about 400,000 square feet of retail space in an area that already has about 1 million square feet of shopping and dining establishments.

"The retail space has a far greater impact on the roads and the infrastructure," he said.

Rick Jones, director of the city's Planning Department, said the "planned unit development" is a good concept if the property owners and developers follow through on their plans properly.

"You could easily go out there and just basically strip the land and throw up a commercial building or another apartment complex, and there be nothing different about it other than maybe it's a little bit nicer and a little bit dressed up and so forth," he said.

The proposed project is required to integrate green- space with residential and pedestrian traffic, while offering unique design qualities that improve quality of life for the development's residents.

Though Jones said he has full confidence in the Wood- ruff Co. and its abilities to follow through on the project, the city planner still injected a tinge of caution into the equation.

"You always want to use a little bit of caution on that kind of stuff because you (can) get everybody's expectations up and then have to deflate them later on," he said.

Columbus Park Crossing has been in development since 2001, when Atlanta-based Ben Carter Properties began the rezoning effort on 400 acres of land at the southeast corner of Veterans Parkway and J.R. Allen Parkway.

The property was acquired from the George M. Adams Co., a family that had owned the land for decades. Four siblings -- George Adams Jr., Philip Adams, Ed Adams and Charlotte Adams -- control the company. Philip Adams said Wednesday the family will have no comment on the project.

New York-based Alvero Acquisition Corp. purchased about 750,000 square feet of the center from Ben Carter Properties about a year ago, paying more than $90 million.

Today, Columbus Park Crossing is a broad mix of retail stores, chain restaurants, hotels, banks and automobile dealerships. There also is a 15-screen cinema complex and an apartment community called Greystone at Columbus Park.

Major store anchors include Sears, Circuit City, Barnes & Noble, Toys R Us, Marshalls, Ross Dress for Less, Kohl's, Petco, Dick's Sporting Goods, Wal-Mart Supercenter and Sam's Club.

THE DRAWING BOARD

Property owner: George M. Adams Co.

Acreage: 65 acres

Zoning: Seeking planned unit development classification. Currently zoned general commercial, residential-office and single-family residential.

Project: 746 apartment units, commercial and office space, with retail shops averaging about 1,200 square feet. Amenities include trails, greenways, open space, natural buffers and a clubhouse.

• 1 month later...

it would be nice and great if columbus georgia could get a bass pro shop like have the bass pro shop built somewhere near the chattochee river in columbus georgia

Kendal, it's great that you've joined in the dialogue here. Look at this part of the post for discussions on Bass and other 'desired' new stores and restaurants.

One comment regarding your posts. It would be much easier to read and understand them if you would include some puncutation.

Archived