United Way campaign

gs3

Heard on WYFF news this evening that the Greenville United Way campaign for 2005 just ended and the it was a whopping success! :) Apparently the amount (and I didn't hear the figure) is the largest ever raised with a United Way campaign in Greenville and in the entire state of South Carolina. It set a record for the entire state! This really speaks well of the generosity and big hearts of Greenville citizens. Greenville, give yourself a pat on the back! :D

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heard on WYFF news this evening that the Greenville United Way campaign for 2005 just ended and the it was a whopping success! :) Apparently the amount (and I didn't hear the figure) is the largest ever raised with a United Way campaign in Greenville and in the entire state of South Carolina. It set a record for the entire state! This really speaks well of the generosity and big hearts of Greenville citizens. Greenville, give yourself a pat on the back! :D

Not to diminish this, but the United Way, in no small part, normally meets its goals through workplace intimidation.

Many of the larger employers have United Way reps visit, and "encourage" employees to donate...either a one time donation, or, deductions from your check. The "unwritten rule" is that you should "strongly consider" donating.

I do not give to the UW for reasons better left unsaid here. I donate to charities whom, I believe, make better impacts on the lives of the less fortunate, without all the politicking & "legalized extortion".

Pretty amazing for an "ultra-conservative" city like Greenville to set records for donations to United Way, especially since conservatives are such insensitive, stingy people who have no compassion for others. :rofl:

Not to diminish this, but the United Way, in no small part, normally meets its goals through workplace intimidation.

Many of the larger employers have United Way reps visit, and "encourage" employees to donate...either a one time donation, or, deductions from your check. The "unwritten rule" is that you should "strongly consider" donating.

I do not give to the UW for reasons better left unsaid here. I donate to charities whom, I believe, make better impacts on the lives of the less fortunate, without all the politicking & "legalized extortion".

I would have to agree with this. I contribute because I want to, not because they "suggest to". The United Way campaign is a big "to-do" for the company that I work for.

The good news is we raised more than $220k this year company-wide.

Pretty amazing for an "ultra-conservative" city like Greenville to set records for donations to United Way, especially since conservatives are such insensitive, stingy people who have no compassion for others. :rofl:

I'm amazed that an ultra-conservative city like Greenville would set a record, knowing the track record of the UW & it's stance on wanting gays to be Scoutmasters in the Boy Scouts.

An interesting read (an opinion piece, but food for thought):

The United Way's Boy Scout Fetish

Agreed! :rofl: Greenville is so ultra-conservative, everyone is under mind control of Bob Jones, our downtown is a playground for the affluent, Clemson is a poor cowtown college and we have no diversity. How did we set a state record for giving to United Way??? :rofl:

GO GREENVILLE! (no not the Drive, but the citizens)

I'm impressed especially since other counties, such as Pickens have really been pushing to keep money in their county. Because you typically give through work, and such a large number of Pickens Co residents work in Greenville, they've been really pushing people to not give to Greenville County's UW campaign, but rather to Pickens Co's. IMPRESSIVE STUFF :thumbsup:

Archived