Nashville takes New York

it's just dave

The controversies spun around the CMA's trip to New York. The show airs on Tuesday, CBS.

Not many places outside of New York, Las Vegas, Miami, and the other "big boys" get the kind of publicity that our little ol' hometown gets. We should consider ourselves very lucky to have such recognition even if it means being somewhat stereotyped by some. Does it really matter? Nope. Memphis and Nashville both get "their names in the paper" a lot. Most don't.

I'll be in front of the TV Tuesday. You can bet on that. Hope you will too. Who'd have ever thought we'd get Joan and Melissa Rivers (egad) on our CMA red carpet. Yikes, this could get scary. I love it.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who'd have ever thought we'd get Joan and Melissa Rivers (egad) on our CMA red carpet. Yikes, this could get scary. I love it.

i'd prefer that old bat and her equally annoying daughter to stay off our red carpet. while i understand why the put it in new york this year (trying to get a country radio station there since they don't have one), it still ticks me off a bit that the cma's aren't where they're supposed to be. oh well, maybe tim and kenny can mess with the cops again :P .

i'd prefer that old bat and her equally annoying daughter to stay off our red carpet. while i understand why the put it in new york this year (trying to get a country radio station there since they don't have one), it still ticks me off a bit that the cma's aren't where they're supposed to be. oh well, maybe tim and kenny can mess with the cops again :P .

I think they should've stayed put inNashville. But you know how the CMA is. Just like anybody else that is in it for the money..................

I personally think the move was brilliant. I was hesitant initially, but sometimes you just have to shake things up a bit. This is a huge industry, headquartered here, but affecting millions across this country and the world. One time, the world's biggest stage, and country's stock will rise. That means our stock will rise. The riskiest investments often pay the biggest dividends. It's an economic bonanza coupled with the national impact of the Nissan headquarters move. So, whatever Joanbat and Melissabat say tomorrow night, as long as they spell our name right, we'll get the payoff. You can be assured of that. Distance yourself from whatever comments might tick you off and run to the bank with the deposit slips.

Today, Purcell, Gaylord's Colin Reed, and Trisha Yearwood opened the New York Stock Exchange, the Grand Ole Opry played Carnegie Hall tonight, concerts, writers showcases are everywhere, and tomorrow we get a national tv audience with emphasis on Nashville, Tennessee, not Charlotte, not Atlanta, not Miami, not Houston, but Nashville. Don't forget that.

Just to get a station in New York? Bah. It doesn't matter if NYC gets a country station, it still accounts for 2.5% of country record sales. That's big. New York is the stage for advertising, marketing, corporations possibly looking to expand or relocate, and so much more.

Accompanying the CMA are 130 representatives representing all facets of this community, from Convention & Visitors Bureaus, the Chamber, government, hospitality. I think the big picture is being missed here.

Next year the show will be back in Nashville (40th edition) and just think of what our city will look like by then... Viridian should be almost done, if not complete, the Symphony Hall will be complete and other project should be popping out of the ground. Nashville is a mess right now visually but by next year should look hot. Maybe the attention the awrds show gets this year will spill over into next year and we'll get some more exposure for the city.

I was just thinking this weekend, after reading about the CMAs in the paper, that I sure hope Nashville & the CMAs get the media attention next year that NY has gotten this year..

I was also slow to warm to the idea of the CMAs going to NY, but it does seem like a golden opportunity for the city to really sell itself to the world

You better believe that this is a smart move by the country music industy. Country music is growing each year in sales and of course CMA would like to capitalize on the momentum. New York is THE spotlight city, so from a business standpoint, yes, you push your product up into the spotlight. This is, of course, the hope to win new fans, and show that country is not just for the good ol' boys. If it works then the next hope is that the spotlight will be in Nashville starting back next year. Which in turn would be great for the city in the overall standpoint. Mo Money, Mo Money, Mo Money.

Ha, a skyscraper made to look like a trophy. That would make a mark one way or another. I love it.

• 1 month later...

You can tell the recognition of a city by the use of the state name after it. Most papers I see still have associated press articles that always say Nashville, Tennessee. Once a city gains enough recognition that the state name is no longer used, then you can tell it is "there" whatever "there" is. You almost never see Atlanta being mentioned with "Georgia" after it. Other cities that still have states put at the end are Memphis, Charlotte, Birmingham, Louisville, Jacksonville, Tampa. I see Nashville, Charlotte, and Jacksonville finally outgrowing that before the others.

Archived