Station Park Discussion

anthonypolitelli

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, amongst the complaints I've heard about the current Kennedy Plaza is that it detracts from the "financial district" by putting all those bus rider types right across from corporate offices. Well, the problem I see here is not locating bus riders near signs of urban wealth, but rather the urban wealth not riding the buses that come in right in front of their offices. Obviously I'm not expecting CEO's to start riding RIPTA but c'mon, this argument is ridiculous.

I think the racism of the argument is not so subtle, but there is also the fact that our downtown core is choked by bus traffic, noise, and pollution. If there were no bus riders, just the buses, Kennedy Plaza wouldn't be any better. The configuration that the streets are in to accommodate the bus traffic also makes for a dangerous and confusing area for both automobiles and pedestrians. The Christmas Tree lighting and the Inauguration both suffered due to the noise and pollution emitted by buses running in every direction during the events. It would be different if buses just ran straight through on Dorrance and Washington, but the congestion is a mess. The city's central plaza should be more civic space, less bus terminal. With Burnside and the Skating Center, and the majesty of the architecture that rings the plaza, it has the potential to be one of the countries great urban spaces.

Not to mention that the current hub and spoke arrangement of our transit system is terribly inefficient for moving residents of the city amongst it's neighborhoods.

Honestly, amongst the complaints I've heard about the current Kennedy Plaza is that it detracts from the "financial district" by putting all those bus rider types right across from corporate offices. Well, the problem I see here is not locating bus riders near signs of urban wealth, but rather the urban wealth not riding the buses that come in right in front of their offices. Obviously I'm not expecting CEO's to start riding RIPTA but c'mon, this argument is ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I hope this landscaping includes park benches, tables, swings, etc. What a novel idea it would be to have a playground in the down city. Especially across from a mall and transportation hub.

At the present intersection of I-95 and I-195 was a large park, similar to Lippit Park on Hope Street, that was never replaced. It was filled with people from upper South Providence, now the Lockwood area. Men playing checkers and chess, kids playing ball,etc. This was Haywood Park, a long lost Providence playground.

Mark

I hope this landscaping includes park benches, tables, swings, etc. What a novel idea it would be to have a playground in the down city. Especially across from a mall and transportation hub.

Mark

Judging by the plastic playgrounds these days, I don't think swings are considered safe equipment anymore unless one is fully harnessed, upright, and an appropriate perimeter has been secured. I expect to see full warning lights when swings are 'swinging freely' in OSHA approved colors. I'd also expect a full time staff position to handle all the liability waivers as people enter the playground.

</cynical>

• 4 months later...

The Station Park Enhancement Project is still a project in the 2009 TIP for $1.5 million. I heard through the grapevine that there are issues with the Amtrak tunnel (of course) in getting this project designed. The Enhancement budget seems to be getting cut though so we'll have to wait and see.

The Station Park Enhancement Project is still a project in the 2009 TIP for $1.5 million. I heard through the grapevine that there are issues with the Amtrak tunnel (of course) in getting this project designed. The Enhancement budget seems to be getting cut though so we'll have to wait and see.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

My company's real estate division has informed the workers at 100 Finance Way that the Rhode Island Department of Transportation will begin renovations on Station Park begining on September 9th and is expected to be completed with construction by late October. Considering this timeline, this project sounds like a beautification project. Does anyone have any specifics on this project?

Thanks,

John

Archived