Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, and I know this isnt within the city limits, but it is the the metro area....There are alot of new neighborhood/home developments on wilson blvd, going toward blythewood. It looks to me that the area is really working to bring in quite a few families with high incomes. Along with the neighborhoods there is also a new live work shop type village going up on that same road right before I-77. I think this is going to be a new booming area, and its location is in a very visable spot for those coming from and traveling to the North.

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, and I know this isnt within the city limits, but it is the the metro area....There are alot of new neighborhood/home developments on wilson blvd, going toward blythewood. It looks to me that the area is really working to bring in quite a few families with high incomes. Along with the neighborhoods there is also a new live work shop type village going up on that same road right before I-77. I think this is going to be a new booming area, and its location is in a very visable spot for those coming from and traveling to the North.

Columbia is smart to have annexed all that land between Farrow Rd. and Wilson Blvd. Because that area is starting to boom.

Developers are planning a 208-home subdivision adjacent to the new SCANA headquarters site in Cayce. The state says it's the first of it's size in Cayce in 30 years, Concord Park will feature a functioning clock tower surrounded by a park, green space, sidewalks and possibly walking paths to SCANA. Already Cayce is starting to reap the benefits from SCANA moving it's headquarters from downtown

Bible Way Church continues to amaze me. This past Sunday, the church's pastor, state Sen. Darrell Jackson, announced plans to build a 106-acre campus in Lower Richland that would include homes, businesses and recreation facilities. The project would feature Congaree Pointe, a mixed-use project of more than 500 homes, a 30-acre recreational facility, and a 24,000-square-foot commercial and medical complex. A hotel also is planned. The church also plans to build a new worship center and performing arts building along Atlas Road.

I figured they would build another worship center sometime in the future, as their current 2,500-seat facility was completed only a few years ago when the church's membership was somewhere around 5,000 and they are currently approaching 10,000. Still, this is years into the future according to a friend of mine who has connections to the church. One thing I like about the church is that they are really into community investment.

Edited by krazeeboi

Maybe a new thread should be started for Columbia as a great place to retire. I learned this morning that in the next edition of "Where to Retire," a very nice, thick slickback magazine that comes out every other month, Columbia will be featured as one of the top 25 places to retire to. As I understand it, the article will talk about halfbacks (halfway back from Florida to the Northeast) and J-curvers (creating a J from the Northeast to Florida and back up to the Carolinas). It will also talk about people who are tired of dealing with hurricanes who have decided that inland areas near water are the place to be. There will be photography and a comprehensive article about the Metro . I have been reading that mag at Richland County Public Library for years and have been frustrated at how they have completely overlooked Columbia. We are definitely starting to hit the radar screen.

Bible Way Church continues to amaze me. This past Sunday, the church's pastor, state Sen. Darrell Jackson, announced plans to build a 106-acre campus in Lower Richland that would include homes, businesses and recreation facilities. The project would feature Congaree Pointe, a mixed-use project of more than 500 homes, a 30-acre recreational facility, and a 24,000-square-foot commercial and medical complex. A hotel also is planned. The church also plans to build a new worship center and performing arts building along Atlas Road.

I figured they would build another worship center sometime in the future, as their current 2,500-seat facility was completed only a few years ago when the church's membership was somewhere around 5,000 and they are currently approaching 10,000. Still, this is years into the future according to a friend of mine who has connections to the church. One thing I like about the church is that they are really into community investment.

Don't mean to offend anyone's religious affiliations, but I cannot imagine belonging to a mega-church. 10,000 parishioners and growing? Contributing to sprawl? Setting up business enterprises? Building an even bigger Big Box? Doesn't sound very Urban Planet to me. Give me a small, close-knit, neighborhood church with no plans for expansion. One just around the corner that I can walk to would be ideal. There are plenty of these left to choose from, thank the Dear Lord!

Just my opinion--again, no offense intended to those who enjoy the big churches. :)

Yes, megachurches get their fair share of criticism, but the phenomenon is nothing new whatsoever. I think the positives in this case far outweight the negatives, as Lower Richland isn't exactly the most properous region of the Columbia metro area. Furthermore, the development is going to be mixed-use, so exactly how is it contributing to sprawl? It will also provide affordable housing and a medical complex. Why is this bad again?

And while there is often something to be desired as far as architecture is concerned for some of these churches (which is really my last concern, since a church is first and foremost about people), Bible Way at least needs to be commended for staying on the same property as they've been on for at least the past 30 years, linking new structures to the older structures to make for one complex and not moving further and further out everytime they build anew.

I guess even when these churches decide to do the right thing, they'll still be on the receiving end of criticism of some sort; kind of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" type-thing. And what is the pastor to do, tell the people that the church has a membership limit and turn additional potential members away? Believe it or not, Columbia is lucky to have Bible Way as part of the religious and civic life of Columbia; it has been one of the more responsible megachurches I've seen.

Yes, megachurches get their fair share of criticism, but the phenomenon is nothing new whatsoever. I think the positives in this case far outweight the negatives, as Lower Richland isn't exactly the most properous region of the Columbia metro area. Furthermore, the development is going to be mixed-use, so exactly how is it contributing to sprawl? It will also provide affordable housing and a medical complex. Why is this bad again?

And while there is often something to be desired as far as architecture is concerned for some of these churches (which is really my last concern, since a church is first and foremost about people), Bible Way at least needs to be commended for staying on the same property as they've been on for at least the past 30 years, linking new structures to the older structures to make for one complex and not moving further and further out everytime they build anew.

I guess even when these churches decide to do the right thing, they'll still be on the receiving end of criticism of some sort; kind of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" type-thing. And what is the pastor to do, tell the people that the church has a membership limit and turn additional potential members away? Believe it or not, Columbia is lucky to have Bible Way as part of the religious and civic life of Columbia; it has been one of the more responsible megachurches I've seen.

All this may be true, but I agree with Sandy - what is the appeal of going somewhere that large? Its like going to Wal-Mart.

Could it possibly be something as simple as the church meets the spiritual needs of its members? I'm not sure why we think quality has to be sacrificed in the face of quantity. Why go to a large university like USC when one could go to Winthrop? Why Winthrop when Claflin would suffice? A smaller institution isn't inherently better, nor is a bigger institution inherently worse. A positive here is that Bible Way's size allows it to do more for the community, much more than a 30-member "neighborhood" church could. Also, Bible Way is somewhat liberal for its Christian tradition, so that appeals to people as well. At any rate, we're not here to criticize megachurches and people's reasons for attending them or anything like that, so let's try to discuss this particular development and the good things it will do for Lower Richland.

I'm not big on discussing religion because for me everyone has their opinion and if they are easily swayed they are not true to what they claim. My point for this message is to simply remind those complaining about large churches, look back to some of the oldest churches in the world. Notre Dame is not small :whistling: ...for me large churches show something is being done right and shows that the community where the church is located is growing. large churches are inevitable, like large cities, like large schools, like large concerts. when something is being done right many will flock. big does not mean good nor does it mean bad. be happy that something positive is being done in you city. We are not to judge are we? :blush:

All this may be true, but I agree with Sandy - what is the appeal of going somewhere that large? Its like going to Wal-Mart.

so you can sleep during mass, not get caught, and still be a part of the social network. ;)

i agree though, i like smaller churches better. even the huge cathedrals of old (Notre Dame, St. Paul's and Durham are three I've attended services at) have a more intimate, communal, social, and spiritual feel than modern large churches (not even mega churches, because i haven't been to a mega church per se.)

This week's edition of the Free Times reveals that things are coming along on the Gallery 701 building in Olympia. Here's an excerpt:

As the Olympia, Whaley and Granby neighborhoods in Columbia wait for money to pay for a list of community projects, private investors are taking the lead on fixing at least one eyesore.

The building at 701 Whaley St., last known as Gallery 701 and before that as a community center for local mill workers, is about to get an extreme makeover. Richard Burts and Robert Lewis recently purchased the 38,000-square-foot building with plans to spend about $4 million renovating it into offices and a banquet hall. The two men are partnering with California developer Red Curb Investments to complete the project, which should total about $5 million.